Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I really have to second what Elton has said.

The Nanoflash seems like much more of a worthwhile purchase than this.

It'd be one thing if the pricing was in the $1k range, but at this point, it is encroaching on NanoFlash territory. And the Nanoflash is capable of providing far greater image quality.
    www.galvanHD.com
    Canon XLH1S+Nanoflash/Canon HV40/Canon S95

2. Collapse Details
    There's an other difference,
    the AG-HMR10 is not only a recorder, it's a part of a POV cam in pair with the AG-HCK10G
    for this raison, the price is higher.

Barry, will you make some test with this camera?

3. Collapse Details
    No, I didn't have the camera, I just got to play with an HMR10 for a day.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumfun View Post
    But I think most people who use an external recorder do so to get better quality video, not lower bit rate. So it would have been nice if this unit recorded to AVC Intra. I know Panasonic has the HPG20, but that's twice the price and records to expensive P2 cards.
    One of the reasons why AVC-Intra is higher quality is because it is a higher bitrate, 50-100 Mbit/s. That's more than an SDHC card can handle, which is why it records to more expensive P2 cards.
    The unit costs more because the hardware to encode AVC-Intra is more expensive, and I'd bet the hardware to write to P2 cards is also a little bit more expensive.

It's like that old saying: Fast, Good, Cheap - Pick two.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by strangways View Post
    It's like that old saying: Fast, Good, Cheap - Pick two.
    The Nanoflash writes darn near uncompressed quality to CompactFlash cards for another $500 more than this unit. It's fast, it's cheap, and it's good. That's where the apparent disconnect seems to be.

But again, this unit does not seem to be targeted to that kind of buyer. Actually, I am not sure who it's targeted at. Maybe surveillance market? $2500 for an external recorder is clearly pro-territory. But the codec is not what Panasonic is pushing in their pro products, more in line with their prosumer product. Seems an odd hybrid.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

6. Collapse Details
    This codec is being sold by the pro division. This unit is offered by Panasonic Broadcast.

7. Collapse Details
    Barry, which cams coming out of Panasonic's pro division use this codec? I ask that out of ignorance, since the ones I am aware of use either DVCProHD or AVC-Intra.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

8. Collapse Details
    Don't forget that is a part of a camera.
    You have a good monitor, the setting and the remote off the camera, and the waveform and the vectorscope I think, like the HMC150.

Can you confirm that Barry?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    Barry, which cams coming out of Panasonic's pro division use this codec? I ask that out of ignorance, since the ones I am aware of use either DVCProHD or AVC-Intra.
    The HMC150 and HMC40. Any of the "AVCCAM" cameras. The HMC70 has some of it, but not all; the HMC70 only has up to 17mbps and doesn't have the "good stuff" which is the 24mbps PH mode.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Arc-en-ciel View Post
    Don't forget that is a part of a camera.
    You have a good monitor, the setting and the remote off the camera, and the waveform and the vectorscope I think, like the HMC150.

Can you confirm that Barry?
    This unit is like the recording deck of the HMC150, without a lens. Instead of a lens it has an HD-SDI input, but other than that it pretty much has what the HMC150 has, so yes that includes waveform and vectorscope.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast