Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. Collapse Details
    Convert to Prores in PC not Mac HELP???
    #1
    Default
    Question 1
    I don't Have a Mac so how can I convert my 7D files to Prores 422??

    I'm a Pc user.. thx

    Question 2
    Also what are the benefits of converting to Prores besides easier editing?? Does the image quality come out better during editing?? thx..


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    Pro Res is able to be decoded (playback) on windows but not encoded from what i understand. This won't help you if you want to edit with pro res on a windows machine, because as soon as you add any video filter/color correction/etc to the clip you'll need to render to a different codec. Best bet is to work with another loss less IQ codec.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Senior Member Tim Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Middlebury, Vermont
    Posts
    1,956
    Default
    Pro Res is a Mac/ Final Cut pro only codec, so you can't.

    I'm not a PC guy but there are options to convert to something that has less compression than the original files, which will give you better results when rendering color correction/ fx and such.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    For free you can download AVID's DNxHD codec and a program called MPEG Streamclip and you can batch render all of your files to DNxHD which I am finding is working out well for editing/archiving.

    For $130 you can buy Cineform Neoscene which IMO is a better choice as it is a more elegent system and a really easy codec to work with.

    Both will work though.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Deals in Lead PerroneFord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    4,552
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Robinette View Post
    For $130 you can buy Cineform Neoscene which IMO is a better choice as it is a more elegent system and a really easy codec to work with.
    To a degree. The $130 for Cineform Neoscene will ONLY write AVI on the PC. To pass files back and forth to the Mac you need NeoHD, which is $499 each. This is why I use DNxHD, which does the same 10-bit 4:2:2 for free.
    Don't be a BillyBob...


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member johnhafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    104
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsta View Post
    Question 1
    I don't Have a Mac so how can I convert my 7D files to Prores 422??

    I'm a Pc user.. thx

    Question 2
    Also what are the benefits of converting to Prores besides easier editing?? Does the image quality come out better during editing?? thx..
    1.
    MPEG Streamclip can convert to prores 422. I've only used it on my Mac but it's a free download and it's worth checking to see if it can do it on PC.

    BUT if you are editing on PC, you need to choose a different format, as only final cut pro support 422 for editing. I'd recommend Cineform neoscene. Free trial avail and $129 a licence. The benefit to cineform is they have a custom gamma curve developed specifically for the 7d that gives a very cinematic look.


    2.
    Prores 4:2:2 conversion does chroma interpolation, 7d h.264 is a 4:2:0 format so less color detail is recorded. The benefit will be that color correction will be more accurate and flexible and. Also because the color sampling is interpolated, and then saved with more detail it's possible that colors will be slightly crisper.

    The main benefit is 422 and cineform are interframe codec designed for editing. h.264 is an intra-frame compression designed for playback. h.264 does not contain ALL the information about each frame in that actual frame this makes it much smaller in file size for similar video quality. It spreads the data amongst close by frames that share similar images, so when streamed it can look ahead and play fine but when used in an NLE, the transitions will cause stutters in playback because it takes a few frames for enough image info to be read.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 11-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Deals in Lead PerroneFord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    4,552
    Default
    John,

    Maybe you can clear something up for me, since you mentioned the cheap version of Cineform again.

    Cineform on the Mac writes a .MOV file. Cineform codec in the .mov container is not supported on the PC from what I understand. And the inverse is also true. Cineform on the PC writes in .AVI only, which I understand is not supported on the Mac. If you've made this 2-way workflow work successfully, please tell me how.

    The Cineform site does not list cross-platform capability under the features for Neoscene. Only for NeoHD and up, which leads me to believe, as other people have said, that you need to move up to the NeoHD program at $499 per copy, to make this work.

    I am also curious what advantage you see in using Cineform over using DNxHD. Especially given the difference in price.


    Thanks
    Don't be a BillyBob...


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Default
    Jumping in the discussion.

    - regarding using MPEG stramclip, can someone post here the exact format to export the native quicktime in the best format readable by PProCS4.
    It seems that the settings I use crash my PC and do not export the file fully in the process (sigh).

    - If this fail, I'll jump onto the Cineform bandwagon (which seems to be what everyone uses) but if I can avoid using any extra penny on anything, that'd be nice.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by PerroneFord View Post
    John,

    Maybe you can clear something up for me, since you mentioned the cheap version of Cineform again.

    Cineform on the Mac writes a .MOV file. Cineform codec in the .mov container is not supported on the PC from what I understand. And the inverse is also true. Cineform on the PC writes in .AVI only, which I understand is not supported on the Mac. If you've made this 2-way workflow work successfully, please tell me how.

    The Cineform site does not list cross-platform capability under the features for Neoscene. Only for NeoHD and up, which leads me to believe, as other people have said, that you need to move up to the NeoHD program at $499 per copy, to make this work.

    I am also curious what advantage you see in using Cineform over using DNxHD. Especially given the difference in price.


    Thanks

    Im also interested if someone could answer this question.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by vyle View Post
    Jumping in the discussion.

    - regarding using MPEG stramclip, can someone post here the exact format to export the native quicktime in the best format readable by PProCS4.
    Yes - same here! I'd also like to know best settings for exporting to a lossless videoformat on the PC (Quicktime is NOT a must).


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •