Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The BEST OF the Monster Shorts thread...
    This is just my personal take based on all of our Monster Short Films:

Best Cinematography:Bits and Pieces” – beautiful lighting, very film-like quality.

Best use of Blood:Burst” - the burst of blood from the mouth and the angle was awesome.

Best Twist: "Cookie Jar" - was a very nice surprise to see that the son was the vampire.

Best believable performances by Adult Actors: “Dispatch” – she’s on the floor and we totally feel that she's dying… “Lot 6a” – he’s under terrible distress and you can feel it.

Best believable performance by Child Actor: Bits and Pieces” – flawless performance by this little girl, even in the small whisper mimic “pretty please” at the end – super.

Best use of Unique Genre:Monsters Beware” - a classic campy 1950s B&W horror story….”The Tell” - an out-of-the box monster Musical… “Sinnergy” – Film Noir.

Best Original Musical Score – “Bits and Pieces”totally captivating and endearing.

Best Score that captured the Tone:Monsters Beware” the total score and music fit the 40’s-50’s classical horror flicks.

Best surprise Genre:The Tell” – didn’t see a musical coming by a mile.

Best production-like quality:Zimm” - this could pass off as a snippet from a television show on cable.

Best opening:The Jones” - with the comic book introduction and then dissolving into real-life… “One Percent” - with the superimpose factual information on black at the beginning brought goose bumps.

Best interaction of characters: The Jones” – those two guys had so much dialogue and so much banter that it was quite entertaining.

Best script: (bias) “Monsters Beware” - the dialogue flowed naturally without being over the top or flippant and the story had a beginning, middle and a quirky ending.

Best homage to Filmmaker: - “Attack of the Killer Automobile” – take that “Death Proof”- Tarentino!

Best Poster: - “Bits and Pieces” – just an incredible movie-like poster.

Best use of Monsters: - “VII” – contains a Vampire and Siamese Igors in counseling session along with a Frankenstien at the end… “Monsters Beware” contains a Werewolf, two Zombies, a Reanimation and a Female Alien who collects monsters.

Best heart-wrenching story:Gleichshaltung” - two Jewish boys sent to the gas chamber, very difficult to watch.

Best footage of woods: "Ramuska" - very beautiful area, a place I would definitely like to take a hike... "Red and the Wolf" - the old Robinson Curuso bridge in the woods was awesome!

Best Adaptation to Published Work: "Red and the Wolf" - I don't see Little Miss Riding Hood quite so innocently anymore.

Last edited by Charli; 11-10-2009 at 08:20 AM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

2. Collapse Details
    This is cool... but I hope it doesn't affect the rating... unless the rating has now closed?

3. Collapse Details
    I don't think so because I waited until I saw the monster's lair was at 20ish people viewing.

4. Collapse Details
    Public Discussion of Participant Entries
    Charli, I know I'm quite new to DVXUser but I couldn't help but think while reading through your "Best Of thread" on the Monsterfest competition, that this idea of posting a pre-vote (so-to-speak) on certain films across the many categories and opening it up for public discussion (before the official voting is actually available) may be construed as a distasteful strategy to shift users' votes when voting actually becomes available. Commenting that one film is stronger in certain areas that another is fine but you should probably promote that film on it's own accord within its own thread and not compare one film against another in an open forum. I don't think it's fair to all the participants to highlight certain films and say why you think they should win in certain categories because such discussion in my opinion will give way to the formation of social trends on 'what's in' and 'what isn't', thereby altering the way some may think about films within the competition. I just think that each film should be discussed for its highs and its lows within its own thread and not communitively in this fashion, that way people vote based on how they feel about particular films and not just go-along with what's popular in the DVXuser film community.

5. Collapse Details
    I have commented, I believe, on each and every single individual thread on my thoughts and opinions on each and every single Monster Short Film, even those just for exhibition.

This is simply and 'overall opinion thread' as I did with the Monster Script Fest.

I'm not here to sway a vote one way or another.

There is BEST KILL thread which is focusing on the best murder attempt on either human or beast.

I am not stating who won anything for any category. I am merely stating my overall thoughts, is all.

6. Collapse Details
    God perhaps an overwhelming amount of best of's hehehe... perhaps if we just limited them (until after the voting) to those categories respective of actual artistic merit (ie. script, actor, sound, cinematography etc.)
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

7. Collapse Details
    Lawrie - oh, God no, where is the fun in that? You have to have "best of blood spurt" in a fest like this, Heavens yes!

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, bad for form man, seriously. I disagree with all your choices and who are you anyway. Wait, who am I, what's going on! aahhhh!

But really maybe after would've been in better taste.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the award!

10. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Evidently Charli is not my target demographic :-).
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast