1. Collapse Details
    P2 Formatter Software
    I work in post and do not have access to a camera. I have a lot of P2 cards that need to go back out in the field but I can't get the P2 Formatter software to recognize the card I have loaded in the P2 reader to get reformatted. The software is unbelievably simple, yet I can't find anything that says "load card" etc.. Anyone have any insight as to why this isn't working? I have a Snow Leopard mac and am using the AJ-PCD20 card reader.

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Collapse Details
    Hi OversteerProductions,

I havn't personally used one of these but I work on macs. What type of mac have you got it connected to and how. If you go the the Apple Menu/About This Mac and click on More Info in the Dialog Window, can you see the hardware under the particular hardware device. Might sound obvious but are the correct drivers/if needed installed. When you insert the P2 card in the slot, it should just mount on your desktop as a drive (like a external firewire HDD or USB Thumb Drive.I have a feeling that it may be related to Snow Leopard compatiability only and may be fine with an earlier version of Leapard.

3. Collapse Details
    How are you reading the card? With the camera or Duel Adapter or ?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    I believe he is pluging it into the Panasonic 5 slot AJ-PCD20 which I assume is connected by firewire. I could be wrong but his post suggests that the AJ-PCD20 is not being recognised by Snow Leopard.

Steve.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah ... Sno is a no go (I could make a rap song out of it)

Do you even see the card mounted on the desktop and if yes does it appears in P2CMS (you can actually erase a card through P2CMS)
    Victor Lazaro - Director, DP, Camera Op
    twitter - @LazaroFilm
    -- www.victorlazaro.com --

Panasonic GH2
    Panasonic AG-HPX171E - P2HD
    Shoot on RED Epic from Pamoramic.tv
    Nikon and Lumix glass
    Express35 - Run n' gun shoulder rig
    SmallHD DP6 monitor...

6. Collapse Details
    Make sure you have the latest AJ-PCD 20 installed. I noticed the same thing until I installed the software. The P2CMS and P2 drivers are not enough.

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you for your responses. I am connecting to the imac via USB 2.0 (the imac only has one FW800 port which is being used by the drive I store the P2 media on). I am able to mount, see the card in P2CMS and transfer the card just fine. The problem I am having is using the Formatter software that comes with the P2CMS to delete the cards and send them back out in the field.

Jim- When I get back to work on Monday, should I be looking for a driver off the Panasonic website or something that came in the AJPCD20 box? I don't know where my company got the card reader from but when they gave it to me I didn't get anything with it.

Phenixone- I'll look in the P2CMS to see if I can delete the cards that way. Thanks again.

8. Collapse Details
    I don't think you can reformat through the P2CMS software on a Mac. I think windows has an option that may allow it. The only way on a mac is with the Formatter software. Make sure you have the latest version the the software + drivers (if any for your device) + firmware update if any for the AJ-PCD20. It would be worth a short to try to test it on a firewire port as macs sometimes are natively better with F/W. If the mac recognises the device when you insert a card, it will mount on the desktop. If you can't get to that stage the Formatter software will not work.

Steve.

9. Collapse Details
    I wish that I could try it for you. I use Formatter on my MBP but only with Leopard, I will probbly never update to Snow because of all of the other apps I use that will be broken with Snow.

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.