Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Strange Lens Flare
    So I've encountered this twice now with is enough times for me to be concerned about it.

On the GH-1 with my Zeiss ZF 50/1.4, When shooting directly into a light I'm getting a lens flare the same shape as the source.

I first saw it when Shooting a wedding, the couple was dancing and there were some fluorescent lights behind them. I swore at the screen, figured it was my cheap UV filter and got over it.

Then this weekend, we were shooting a scene, the actor comes to the door and we see him through the glass. Same lense, same camera, same flare (this time in the shape of the window in the door).

Aha! I said, take off the UV filter. but much to my surprise, it was still there. My heart dropped. We switched to the kit lens, same shot same focal length, no lens flare.

What the hell? I thought Zeiss lenses are supposed to be some of the best out there? Do they just not have anti-flare coating? Does the kit lens of the gh-1 have some awesome lens coating? Should I be yelling at the friend I let borrow my lenses for cleaning the lens with some solution that took the glare coat off? This issue aside I love how they look (and have yet to see it on my 85 though I intend to test it as soon as I get the chance.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

http://www.kevdwong.com

2. Collapse Details
    yea, my nikkor 50mm 1.4 auto-s does the same thing...

3. Collapse Details
    With an old vivatar 300mm I managed to get a flare in the shape of the moon, complete with texture and detail...of course I had to defocus the crap out of things and it's one big blob of chromatic aberration but it's there...I was intentionally trying to get this and was doing some weeeeird things with the aperture to do so, but yeah...it might look like some other optics problem other than a flare but it behaved like a flare (the bright blown out object being the moon and the dimmer one with (inverted) texture being the flare:
    Last edited by Ben_B; 11-02-2009 at 08:50 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_B View Post
    With an old vivatar 300mm I managed to get a flare in the shape of the moon, complete with texture and detail...of course I had to defocus the crap out of things and it's one big blob of chromatic aberration but it's there...I was intentionally trying to get this and was doing some weeeeird things with the aperture to do so, but yeah...it might look like some other optics problem other than a flare but it behaved like a flare (the bright blown out object being the moon and the dimmer one with (inverted) texture being the flare:

It's the in-camera effect for The two stars tatooine........

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

5. Collapse Details
    well, after some further testing it looks like the Kit lens on the GH-1 just has some awesome anti-flare coating.

I tested both the 85 and the 50, pointed them straight at a bare bulb and got a huge honking lens flare. Pointed the kit lens at the bulb and the flare was noticeably smaller. I guess it was the rectangular shape of the window that made the flare look especially strange to me.

Part of what I like about the Zeiss glass is the more organic feel of it so I guess this is part of that trade off.

The lesson, don't point your lens at a light and expect not to get a flare. (DUH)

On a side note. Are there any filters that can help cut down on flaring?

6. Collapse Details
    matte box?

7. Collapse Details
    matte boxes typically don't block light that's *in* the frame though. :-)

8. Collapse Details
    Hi,

any filters in front of the lens? I had really bad nd filters (from india, I know...) once and they also mirrored a part of the image right onto itself. sent them back.

9. Collapse Details
    well
    Quote Originally Posted by djkarn105 View Post
    ...I swore at the screen, figured it was my cheap UV filter and got over it.

... Aha! I said, take off the UV filter. but much to my surprise, it was still there.

10. Collapse Details
    Have you tried the Zeiss lenses on a full frame body, which they were ment for? As I'm unfamiliar with this lens for the m43 body, you must be using an adapter. If the adapter is not completely matte black, it will reflect the image projected by the lens and cause more flare. Also, because these lenses are made for FF, and project a much larger image circle, it might also cause some flare due to stray light inside the adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast