Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Monster Fest 2009 - Viewing is now open

Welcome to the DVXuser.com Monster Fest 2009
    The time has finally come to enjoy the fruits of your labor over the past several months. As always, we have an interesting mix of films for this fest and it's been an interesting time previewing all your work. Regardless of how the voting turns out, we all appreciate the huge amount of work it takes to complete and submit a film -- all of you have our admiration and respect.

HOW TO VIEW
    http://www.dvxfest.com/monsterfest

• Anyone can view the films. You do not need to be a dvxuser member, nor be logged into DVXFest.com to view the films. This obviously makes sense now that we have opened up outside promotion. So, share the link around once the films go live, etc.
    • If you are eligible to rate the films (a submitting filmmaker, or a dvxuser member with 50 or more posts) then you will need to log on to dvxfest.com using your dvxuser member name and password. If you have never logged in to dvxfest before in this manner, the first time may take several moments to authenticate and verify. However, after this is done, all subsequent log ins will be instantaneous.

VOTING/RATING INFORMATION AND GUIDELINES:

There will be two rounds of voting. We will allow ample time for each round of voting, so please do not panic, and we will notify everyone well enough in advance of the impending deadline to rate the films for each round.

Generally when the ratings begin to trail off in the first round, we will set a date and let everyone know what that deadline is.

After the first round of rating has concluded, we will take a brief recess to tally, and verify the results as well as search for any kind of discrepancies in the ratings.

We will then see where the clear breaking line is for the top films. We will announce the top 7 or 8 or 10 or 12 (whatever that number may be) to the public and will commence a 2nd round of rating. A lot of folks often have questions about this process, and we are happy to try to elaborate further at some other time. Just rest assured, that (while not perfect) the system works very well like this and the 2nd round is a necessity.

The reason why we do not have a set TOP 8 for example is b/c number 9 might only be a few hundredth's of a point behind 8th, and it would hardly seem fair to exclude them. So, we find the place where the break becomes more apparent and the films above that clear break will be the finalist fims.

All votes from the first round are "carried over" to the 2nd round. You do NOT get to re-rate. The purpose of the 2nd round is to equalize the number of votes across the films as much as possible, and to bring in as many new voters as possible. Those eligible voters who may be less active in the fests, but would love to watch 8 or 10 films and would gladly rate each one on a scale of 1 to 10 as they go along.

You MAY change your rating for the films during that round in which the rating was cast. However, once that round ends, your ratings are locked and may not be changed. During the 2nd round you may only rate films that you may not have previously rated.

The system really does work very well on the whole. A lot of thought went into it, and there is more behind the scenes that obviously we keep to ourselves to maintain the integrity of the system. The system is very good at providing more accurate average ratings of the films (and by indirect consequence the final rankings of each film for the competitive aspect of the process). The system also does a very good job at minimizing the impact of any potential shadiness, as well as making it more easily identifiable and dealt with.

We are always trying to improve every aspect of the fests, and we encourage appropriate feedback at the right place and the right time.

TROUBLESHOOTING
    I have made significant code changes to the authentication module since the last fest and believe that the issues have been resolved. So you should be able to log into the viewing/rating page using your current dvxuser.com username/password to gain access.

If you have any problems connecting, please PM me (Larry R) and I'll deal with it as quick as I can.

ISSUE REPORTING
    If you experience any problems with the viewing/rating system, please use the following link to report the issue. I will monitor that thread only for issues and will respond to them as quickly as possible:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1797567

Special Thanks
    A special thanks, as always, to our sponsors.

Thanks to our usual gang of mirror providers. This consistently makes for a smooth download process during the mad rush when the viewing begins.

Next Fest
    The next fest will be announced when the winners for Monster Fest have been announced.

As always, if you have any questions, problems, issues, needs ... please feel free to contact one of the mods and we will address it as quickly as possible.

2. Collapse Details
    YAY! Let the parties begin.

3. Collapse Details
    YES! Downloading now.

4. Collapse Details
    HA! So it begins!!!

5. Collapse Details
    Haha i wish i scrolled down and saw the zip files right away, I just downloaded each one individually! Oh well, let the viewing begin!
    The Drawing of Doom <- MonsterFest!!!

6. Collapse Details
    sweeet! Good luck everyone! Looking forward to seeing everyone's film.

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

7. Collapse Details
    wow! I'm glad I went to my friends. I was able to download all the zips in only 20 minutes!
    Good luck to everyone!

8. Collapse Details
    The first zip is downloading at less than 10 KB/sec at 2:30 am EST. Everyone must be downloading at the same time. This is when to use a torrent.

9. Collapse Details
    Good luck everyone!
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Sopinsky View Post
    The first zip is downloading at less than 10 KB/sec at 2:30 am EST. Everyone must be downloading at the same time. This is when to use a torrent.
    try doing it again if you get unusually slow download times... the zips and films are on multiple servers, so it's likely a temporary issue with one server, as opposed to overload.

Later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast