1. Collapse Details
    HPX and RED and a funny little tale
    Senior Member TizzyEntertainment's Avatar
    Thought some might enjoy this little tale which is not dissimilar to what many in the "Bizz" deal with daily.

So the story goes like this, I get a call that an agent will be by our studio with a "Flo Rida" video in desperate need of help.

He shows up shortly after and explains that the original people involved "screwed up" this video. Poorly shot, poorly light (Looks like they had 1 Kino) bad camera work, composition ect. Then they tried to do an edit and CG that had the clients hoping mad. See the video had been paid for by a sponsor and they were not pleased with the result.

I was shown a cut of the video, apparently the third cut to be turned in, and it was without exaggeration one of the worst videos I have ever seen.

I glanced over the footage and assured him I could turn in a better video then what he had come with and so I went off to do so.

I had to create the "Hype" opening because a "story line" originally planned was not coming through on its own, and I didn't have enough B-Roll to just abandon it all together. We were lucky in that the video was shot on a RED so with the 4K image I could really zoom in and recompose most of the shots. A few quick cuts, a light color grade and everyone was happy.

To be clear we DID NOT shoot this video, (Though the arial footage in the beginning was shot by us with 1 of our HPX500's and is part of ur personal stock) I just pieced it back together. Enjoy

http://www.vimeo.com/7297057
    Luck is when opportunity meets preperation. -Robert Evans

2. Collapse Details
    The constant out of focus of him sitting on the couch hit me more than the lighting, but yeah, I can see what you mean.

Ya gotta post the 3rd cut!

3. Collapse Details
    Wow I have not seen something shot so bad in a while specially with this kind of artist, its unusual to see this I must say, some of the scenes are not even 24p, they look like they were shot in a higher framerate which resulted in the image looking videoish like
    I think this is a good example that relates to what is a hot topic around here, gear dont make the man, the dudes that shot this must of said " hey we are shooting with the Red, nothing to worry about, just press record" and look now.

4. Collapse Details
    Not bad! though is it me or the footage even on the web is soft sometimes? probably red
    softness starts to appear if frame is 1:1 sized ?
    Freelance steadicam camera operator
    www.tomasriuka.lt
    vimeo channel

5. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Jeeeez! No offence here on your editing, you probably saved their arses, but Iīm soooo fed up with this kind of music videos, where guys with big gold chains wave their hands in the air like idiots and rhyming to the - always same (at least it sound to me the same) music and boody shaking chicks. Same ingredients over and over - oh I forgot the "nose-on-the-super-wide-low-shot".

In my book all those videos look like they are made of a set of templates - film and music wise.

This is so 90s - canīt believe they still doing it - no evolution no creativity, just the same template over and over.

Sorry for the rant,

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member TizzyEntertainment's Avatar
    No worries Frank and I agree...

I can tell you however that the formula isnt going anywhere.

Every now and again we come up with a fresh new concept, pitch it for a fraction of what it should cost and the client response is always the same. "Yeah that would be good but... why dont we just have him perform in a few spots, and some hot chicks dance around, and some money and yada yada yada..."

Such is the biz. We do what they ask because it gives us the money to do other thingss

This sadly was an example of it at its worst. There is a certain super repetitive shot that had to be there due to the client involved

As for soft focus, oh you better believe it. That had little to do with the zooming in of shots and everything to do with people who did not know what they were doing operating the camera. Sadly this guy will probably use the finished product as an example of the kind of videos ge can do, and get work as a result.

As long as we are remembered for what we did Ill be happy but out of sight out of mind is a big player in this industry so I wont hold my breath.

"Its not whats shooting but who shooting" certainly rings true here.

Tizzy
    Luck is when opportunity meets preperation. -Robert Evans

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    Jeeeez! No offence here on your editing, you probably saved their arses, but Iīm soooo fed up with this kind of music videos, where guys with big gold chains wave their hands in the air like idiots and rhyming to the - always same (at least it sound to me the same) music and boody shaking chicks. Same ingredients over and over - oh I forgot the "nose-on-the-super-wide-low-shot".

In my book all those videos look like they are made of a set of templates - film and music wise.

This is so 90s - canīt believe they still doing it - no evolution no creativity, just the same template over and over.

Sorry for the rant,

Frank
    Yes this form of videos are repetitive... Good to see you were able to save the footage.

8. Collapse Details
    At 2:40 it sounds like he is saying "I LIKE YOUR THICK FEET"

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyEntertainment View Post
    Poorly shot, poorly light (Looks like they had 1 Kino) bad camera work, composition ect. Then they tried to do an edit and CG that had the clients hoping mad. See the video had been paid for by a sponsor and they were not pleased with the result.
    That's what you get when you pay for a music video in girls instead of cash (or lights :P)

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyEntertainment View Post
    I had to create the "Hype" opening because a "story line" originally planned was not coming through on its own, and I didn't have enough B-Roll to just abandon it all together.
    Nice job on the red car - red shirted rapper thing. Very simple but it works.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com