Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimothy View Post
    Nice job. I sense a top three coming soon!
    If I was running a DVXUSER film-betting book I'd definitely make Horrigan the front runner in my opening odds. As evidenced by the nice recognition the mods gave him, the guy simply does consistently solid work every time. More importantly, for my money Horrigan's biggest strength lies in his stories, which are always literate without seeming to be 20 minutes of sausage stuffed in a 6 minute casing.

And he essentially does it soup to nuts as a one-man band.

That may, in the end, be the one element that is your biggest hurdle, Mike. After all, these festivals impose such a small window to really work on pre-production and development. Tim, Luis, Blaine and I feel that we have to sort of deliberately maintain checks and balances on each other throughout the pre-pro process. It's a testament to your skills that you serve as your own critic, proofreader and "fresh eyes" as you do your films.

Nevertheless, I don't know of any other endeavors that really require such a diverse number of skill-sets to really succeed. Accordingly, I wish I would win the lottery so I could pay Matty G. and Geoff to come out and run camera for you simply so you could focus more on the vision rather than the process. Similarly, I'd love to give you the benefit of letting me (or someone else) be your producer... not because I could produce better than you (hell, you are among the best, sir) but because it all represents time that you necessarily have to suck somewhere from your finite inventory of hours.

I've said it before and I'll say again that I couldn't do what you do. Does that make you a better filmmaker than me? Arguably it does ... at least in a mano-et-mano competition. However, I like to think that we can recognize our individual talents as well as our limitations so that we assemble a collaborative enterprise that creates a whole bigger than our parts. That's why I don't try to direct and why we pick a date that Geoff or Matty is available before we roll footage.

In saying this I'm NOT implying that a crew or a collaboration is inherently better (see my first paragraph above again where I handicap you as the frontrunner). However, I'm simply pointing out that by shooting solo you necessarily have to fire on all cylinders and do so efficiently. You are you own weakest link. I'm reminded of how Jack Daniel Stanley has a catalog of incredible films, many of which were accomplished almost single-handedly by him (SHED remains an awesome example of what one guy can do with hard work and a well crafted vision). Nevertheless, although JDS still often runs lean and mean, he often pulls in a DP and crew to give himself the one thing that is hardest to get -- time.

I might also mention that JDS has often honored us by sharing scripts and rough cuts with us so we can give him feedback and critical comments. A couple weeks ago he sent me a link to a rough edit because he knew that I'd give him an honest set of notes. He also doesn't mind telling me that I'm full of sh*t when he thinks I am, just as I don't mind telling him when I think he's got a problem or weakness.

So, I guess what I'm saying to you, Mike, is that you truly are blessed with a full panoply of skills. I would like to see you recruit a bit more help (if possible) to give you a little more time to focus AND I'd welcome the opportunity to help you on-line during your script development and editing cycles. Of course, since JDS says I am full of sh*t with some frequency I would recommend that you collect a couple other eyes for checks and balances.

Rock on, sir. You have already accomplished so very much. However, I'd like to be able to send you a bottle of scotch for the win next time. .... go do it!

2. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Wow! Thanks for the huge vote of confidence, Mark. I'm really not sure what to say.
    I do have a process and it does involve feedback from a few people who's opinions I trust.
    I really appreciate the advice. I may just take you up on it.

Now go win that lottery!

Thanks again,

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

3. Collapse Details
    New dvuser here. Great film. Loved the sound design and score. It creeped me out and I jumped at the door slam. Nice.

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Wow. Thanks, man. I appreciate the comments.

Welcome to the forum!
    Betrayal Fest is in full swing. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Cheers,

mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617