Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MPEG Streamclip on PC, Premiere Pro
    So I'm confused as to what setting to export my video to in MPEG StreamClip. When it asks me to please choose a task, I select "Export to Quicktime". Then I select my output folder.

However, I don't know what Compression to use for the MPEG Streamclip - Movie Exporter.

I'm trying to use Streamclip so I don't have to edit the native HD files in Premiere Pro. The Apple tutorial looks easy, as all you have to do is select ProRes, but I'm not sure on a PC. Any ideas?

2. Collapse Details
    So I tried to Apple Cinnepak codec and it seems to take 5-10 minutes to process 1 10 second clip :-(

I also tried to edit the native 7D movie files and Premiere CS3 didn't like that at all :-(

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

3. Collapse Details
    What CPU/RAM/graphics etc? Your system sounds pretty slow. I'm using an AMD Phenom II quad core and editing the raw footage seems to work pretty well, even though I only have 4gb of DDR1 RAM in it right now (I've just been putting off an upgrade). You can put together a good core system for under $500 now.

Also, consider two other possibilities: load the footage up in Premiere and export it to something (rather than using QT), and/or export footage to DV size (keep the same filename as the original, but export to a new folder) and edit quickly with that, then point it at your original footage when you're done editing.

If your machine is slow then just run the conversions overnight. or pick up a second machine for cheap and do your conversions on one while you edit on the other. Or buy a case of beer and some pizza, invite three friends with laptops to your house and have a footage conversion party.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I reckon any MPEG 4 based format would be best... small file sizes, not too CPU intensive compared to some codecs, and great encoding quality for the bitrate.

What about XDCAM EX? Do you have that on your Windows system along with other Apple codecs like Prores?

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    You have atleast two good choices: Neoscene which cost around 99$ and free avids codec DNxHD which is free. Both codecs are used via mpegstream.

8. Collapse Details
    just tried the avid codec thru streamclip and it just exported the audio.

This is seriously ridiculous that there is no competent solution for us without being a rocket scientist. I see so many beautifully edited 5d Videos on Vimeo and I know they didn't spend 16k on a an avid system or sit and convert 50 hours of 5d footage and proxies.

I believe the solution is the i7 imac and FCP $4k is a bit much to edit a few wedding video's.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by enginyr View Post
    just tried the avid codec thru streamclip and it just exported the audio.

This is seriously ridiculous that there is no competent solution for us without being a rocket scientist. I see so many beautifully edited 5d Videos on Vimeo and I know they didn't spend 16k on a an avid system or sit and convert 50 hours of 5d footage and proxies.

I believe the solution is the i7 imac and FCP $4k is a bit much to edit a few wedding video's.
    Then you did something very wrong.

I've edited hundreds of videos, and none of them have been on a Mac. This is not that difficult, but if you refuse to follow some rules, then you will always have trouble. Very few people have machines hot enough to edit 5D footage natively. FCP encodes it to ProRes. Avid trancodes it to DnxHD. Final Cut Express will change it to AIC.

I can cut it native in Vegas on my editing machine (and sadly have had to do it that way) but it's slow and painful. I have used Mpeg Streamclip to convert it all to DNxHD and it works fine if you use the correct settings.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

10. Collapse Details
    The encoded file is visible with quicktime player and maybe media player classic only. Don't mind that; try to drag those converted files to your editing program and see what happens.

Only other problem is that you are using quicktime alternative which atleast for me refused co-operating when converting files with mpegstreamclip.

Being in frontline in still quite new technology allways requires more battle will to survive, be strong! ;-)

-Mike

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast