Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    Okay I re-tried it and it worked perfectly! Sweet!

I am definitely going to try this effect on the music video we shoot in a few weeks. I'm so excited! It's gonna be wicked.

I found one example of this being done in an avril lavigne video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW2LTnzD-vE

Does anybody know any other videos that use this technique? I'm trying to explain to the singer how its going to look so some examples would help.

Thanks again for your help guys!
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

2. Collapse Details
    Definitely going to need a 60p or faster camera like an HVX200 or an EX1. A stock DVX100 won't cut it for more than a few quick shots. Well not without looking kinda cheesy in post that is...

Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

3. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    Actually we're going to be using the Red! but we wont have it till the day of the shoot so I can't practice on it

I filmed at 30p and just used FCP to put it at 50% speed. Would I do the same thing on Red or is it better to shoot at 60frames with that?

I guess I'm a little confused what I would do in that situation...
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Media View Post
    Actually we're going to be using the Red! but we wont have it till the day of the shoot so I can't practice on it

I filmed at 30p and just used FCP to put it at 50% speed. Would I do the same thing on Red or is it better to shoot at 60frames with that?

I guess I'm a little confused what I would do in that situation...

If you can overcrank, overcrank. That means shooting at a higher frame rate if it is available to you. Refer back to the chart to figure out how to alter the music playback depending on your particular frame rate.
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

For Sale:Fostex FR2-LE field recorder

5. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    my director is saying we should use 30p for the final frame rate because thats what they play on tv anyways so 24 would be pointless...

if thats the case, then when we use the red i guess we would film in 60 frames. then it would be the same thing, i just decrease the speed by 50% in FCP right?

found another perfect example of the technique in Mariah's Touch My Body video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxR8OH-fDQ
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

6. Collapse Details
    my director is saying we should use 30p for the final frame rate because thats what they play on tv anyways so 24 would be pointless...
    That's nonsense. Yes, broadcast runs at 29.97, but that doesn't mean that you can't produce at 24p. You'll just have to add the pull-down in before mastering to broadcast tape.

With 24p, you get filmic motion. The only thing 30p has in common with 24p is the "p." As far as motion, it looks very much like video.
    Formerly known as C2V

7. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    boy am i glad i started this thread... ha ha. i know it has been asked before but this helps me out a lot.

I assume you are saying that if I produce a file with 24p timeline and then take it to be converted to betacam sp for sending to television, they will take care of the pull down issues and all that right?

so 24p it is. so i'd use 48 frames on the Red.

According to Barry's chart, if i film in 48fps for using a 24p timeline, i need to play the song at 200.80% speed.

I just converted the song as a test. At 200.80% speed, the words are totally incomprehendable!

it must be 100.80 % i'm supposed to speed it up by... i'm just confusing myself now...
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

8. Collapse Details
    I assume you are saying that if I produce a file with 24p timeline and then take it to be converted to betacam sp for sending to television, they will take care of the pull down issues and all that right?
    Well, depends on who "they" are. Shoot and edit in 24p. Final Cut Pro can add the pull down in as it exports. Or you can export your 24p master file and use Compressor to convert it to 29.97.

According to Barry's chart, if i film in 48fps for using a 24p timeline, i need to play the song at 200.80% speed.

I just converted the song as a test. At 200.80% speed, the words are totally incomprehendable!

it must be 100.80 % i'm supposed to speed it up by... i'm just confusing myself now...
    48 is to 24 as 60 is to 30, so you'll use the exact same adjustments as you did in your test earlier. Shoot with the song at double speed for a half-speed slow-mo edit.

What Barry's chart says is that you play the song at 200.8%. That means increasing the playback by 100.8%.
    Formerly known as C2V

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by C2V View Post
    48 is to 24 as 60 is to 30, so you'll use the exact same adjustments as you did in your test earlier.
    Well, depends on what camera you're using. If you're using an HVX200, HPX170, HPX500, or HPX300, you wouldn't just double the speed, it wouldn't work! Look at the chart. 48 fps is not twice the speed of 24fps.

If you're using some other camera, you'll have to figure out what the proper speeds should be; this chart was specifically done because of the slightly off speeds of the HVX's frame rates.

10. Collapse Details
    Don't Stalk Member
    Thanks so much C2V.. really appreciate your help, seriously. Pretty sure I got it now.

I had sped the song up by 100% earlier but now I know to make it 100.80% to be even more precise.

damn i'm excited about this video!!! cant wait to share it with you guys!!
    Alison
    Jungle Media
    www.junglemedia.ca

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast