Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    7D vs 5DMk2 - How much worse is the 7D?
    Besides sensitivity, how much worse is the quality of the 7D compared to the 5D Mark II?
    FOR SALE:
    - Hollywood Camera Work ALL 14 DVD's (mint)
    - Canon 28-135 IS w/72mm UV filter (lens used ONCE)
    - Panasonic Lumix GF3 1080p HD camera HACKED 2 x bitrate!

100% feedback on dvxuser.com & PayPal verified. I always ship promptly from USA!

Salil Sundresh
    1st AC & 3D Rig Tech
    LA/Chicago/San Francisco/Miami
    3ality-Technica Certified 3D Rig Technician
    www.Salil24.com

2. Collapse Details
    Many tests that I have read/viewed actually put the 7D up on the 5D for sensitivity, although the 7D shows more grain. For overall 'quality' differences, you may be splitting hairs. Both cameras produce an outstanding picture. Bloom actually prefers the 7D (framerate):

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/10/01/5dmkii-or-the-7d/

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Like when any new camera comes out there has a been a lot of hyperbole about the 7D on this forum. I have seen a lot of stunning 5D night time footage, and my own tests in low light confirm that it absolutely 'sings' in such conditions. The low light stuff I have seen from the 7D so far doesn't really do it for me. Show me some amazing stuff, not a test.

Personally (and it is just an opinion personal to my own needs) the 5D works better for me because I can use 35mm lenses on a full frame sensor.

When you take that into account, all these tests, charts and noise pale into relative insignificance. It's the lens that most defines the look of your film, after all.

A Zeiss 25mm T* Distagon is a magical lens for the money, and on the 5D it really is a 25mm wide angle. A Canon L lens for example, at 17mm is really really wide and uses the full image circle of the lens on the 5D. On the 7D it is much less impressive.

Of course, sure, there are some very nice wide EFS lenses. Canon 10-20mm for example. The new 15-85mm IS kit another. But the classic lenses of the 1970's look better on the 5D. For example, a Asahi Pentax Super Takuma 50mm F1.4 on a 5D is what it is - how it was designed to look - but to replicate that look on a 1.6x crop 7D is a lot harder. I found myself with the GH1 and it's 2x crop having to spend 600 on a fast F1.4 portrait lens, because the lens has to be twice as wide to achieve 50mm equiv. - quite an engineering challenge for the manufacturers.

I am not sure about things like colour and dynamic range. I'd like to test that head to head. Detail also. I think they're probably quite close although I do notice the 5D's low light performance counts for a lot when it comes to colour tones. It holds onto it's colours extremely well in low light. Can a much smaller sensor do the same? I have seen with my own eyes that the GH1, with it's 2x crop sensor, cannot. So I have my doubts but have yet to seen evidence either way.

But for me, full frame lenses trump 24p any time. 30p is not too hard a hit to take when you have such a large advantage in terms of lenses.
    Last edited by commanderspike; 10-16-2009 at 08:44 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Other threads have shown the 7d to look a bit sloppy in grabs

persoanl experience it has not 'sung' for me yet

given the obvious noise due to sensor size issue i think the question should be..

Is the 7d worse under similar good light circumstances?

If I hadnt sold my 5 I would be testing

S

5. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    All good points, Spike. And I happen to have a slightly different view on a few of them.

Having shot the 5D and 7D side by side, I can say with confidence that there is no "stomping" going on, except maybe in low light. And even then, it's not a stomping. The 5D wins, but the 7D performs admirably, and far better than the GH1 I had. Color rendering and dynamic range "felt" very similar to me. Now, granted, the 5D is going to produce superior still images, no doubt. But from what I saw, the difference in video was imperceptible, at least to my eye.

While I agree that matching a "look" between FF lenses and EF-S lenses takes some effort, I wouldn't call it hard. I've got lenses that cover 11mm to 200mm for my 7D. When a friend brought over his 5D and 50mm f1.4 lens, it took maybe five seconds to match his framing (near-perfectly) on my 17-55 zoom lens. So I see this as a non-issue, though others may not.

If you have a collection of legacy lenses, and you're comfortable with focal lengths as they are, then maybe the 7D is not for you. And if the additional frame rates of the 7D are important to the OP, than maybe that will help make his decision.

And something to think about… Having shot full-frame with "L" lenses in the past, sometimes the corners and edges of these lenses (any lenses) can be soft wide-open on a full-frame camera. But put them on an APS-C camera, and the "crop factor" can work to your advantage. I had this experience with the Canon 35mm f1.4L lens, one of their top lenses. On a 5D, edge softness wide open was obvious. But when I stuck it on my old 40D, it became a really sharp "normal" length lens. As soon as I can convince a client to pay for it (soon, hopefully), I'll pick up the same lens for my 7D. It makes a great walk-around prime lens on a 1.6x crop camera.

Ultimately, the OP asked specifically about "quality," which isn't really specific at all. It could mean any number of things, and without some clarification from him, it's hard to answer his question with any real accuracy.

6. Collapse Details
    ..."show me some amazing stuff..." (7D)
    ...."not a test"...http://vimeo.com/6487566

7. Collapse Details
    When a friend brought over his 5D and 50mm f1.4 lens, it took maybe five seconds to match his framing (near-perfectly) on my 17-55 zoom lens.
    Just curious...do you remember where the 17-55 matched? And did they match in terms of FOV and/or DOF? Similar bokeh?
    "All i need in a camera is out there, just not in the same body at the same time. :-) " mattsand

8. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    If I remember correctly, I think FOV matched pretty closely around 32mm on the zoom. (I don't have the 5D or I'd run a test and let you know for sure.) DOF was perhaps a hair shallower on the 5D/50mm combo, but it wasn't a huge difference.

The quality of the bokeh was (to my eye) fairly identical, which isn't a surprise to me as the 50mm has 8 aperture blades and the 17-55 has 7 blades, and both lenses (I believe) have rounded blades.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I think the slight difference in personal opinion between Stephen and I shows that the difference in quality between the two cameras in video mode is small enough to be down to what works best for your own personal shooting style.

The 5D fell into my hands first, and the image in low light seems to have an 'edge', and it works well with my existing Zeiss lenses. So my opinion of it is quite positive.

I think we've both right, in our own way, so your own personal opinion of which to get, having read all the pros and cons of each must be the overriding factor.

Bokeh is lens dependant, and on the Contax Zeiss range is often ninja-star shaped. The Zeiss Hasselblad I have is almost hexagonal, while other lenses are rounded especially beyond F4. So again it comes down to personal taste a lot of the time.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jensenfilms View Post
    ...."not a test"...http://vimeo.com/6487566
    This is a really nice one, which has been doing the rounds for quite some time.

I was talking about really low light stuff though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast