Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    7D and the nanoFlash...works...but...
    It's quite a center crop, which does get you about 1280x720 to extract, but you would have to do pulldown removal in post with any 24p recording, because it outputs in a 1080i stream. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble at all, although you can visibly see a little better color saturation with the HDMI recording. (100 mbs long GOP on the nano is the mode I used)

About 720 60p: It still aliases like crazy. Horrid in anything wide and sharp with thin diagonals. (I shot city street scenes with power lines from a light rail car to test the problem, and yes, it's hideous.

1080 24p: Very nice. It looks great, might even have slightly better RS characteristics than the 5D 30p.

Btw, I would like to post full rez stills, but it seems the upload capability on the site has been changed to the pictures and albums thing, which limits the size of the image. Will post a link later

Edit: I put some grabs up on my mobile me album thing. Full rez files grabs can be downloaded here: http://gallery.me.com/mrbarlowelton/100085

Note--It turns out that once you plug in the HDMI, the live view on the LCD of the camera is diabled, so I shot these literally blind. (didn't have an HDMI monitor on hand) I put on a Zeiss 18mm, and stopped down the lens probably too much and focused to infinity. Just wanted to grab some images to look at before I left for home.

Shot with the neutral picture style with sharpening turned all the way down.

HDMI

Native recording:

HDMI

Native recording:
    Last edited by Elton; 10-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    A few more...

720p Aliasing, native recording

720p HDMI (output as 1080i--ugh)

Curiously, the image is larger via HDMI when not recording internally, but you do get that center box, which I'm not sure is defeatable.
    Last edited by Elton; 10-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    A few more...

720p Aliasing, native recording
    And how!

4. Collapse Details
    Wow....thanks. If we could get rid of that focusing square when not recording then I think it wsould be worth the capture. It still might be with that 720p crop. I would love to see if there would be a difference in detail/sharpness when compared to a full 1920x1080 compressed version.

5. Collapse Details
    Can you just move the box to the lower corner and use the top part of the image? ...If it's worth it.

6. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Yeah. Just move the box out of the way as far as you can.

Great info, though, Elton. Doesn't look like it's worth it at all.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-T View Post
    Wow....thanks. If we could get rid of that focusing square when not recording then I think it wsould be worth the capture. It still might be with that 720p crop. I would love to see if there would be a difference in detail/sharpness when compared to a full 1920x1080 compressed version.
    I look at it and say "meh". The 720 is seriously flawed and the 1080 would be a PITA via HDMI unless that box can be removed. I'm not even sure how long live view can run before shutting off (given that you're not actually engaging recording on the camera)

The image is a tad nicer via HDMI but I don't think it's worth the trouble unless it's uncluttered. If Hudson can hack this baby then wonderful, but for now I just think its 1080 24p is nice and to stop worrying and take advantage of what it does right.

8. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    \
    The image is a tad nicer via HDMI but I don't think it's worth the trouble unless it's uncluttered. If Hudson can hack this baby then wonderful, but for now I just think its 1080 24p is nice and to stop worrying and take advantage of what it does right.

Thank you, Elton. That's exactly what I think.

9. Collapse Details
    are both signals 4-2-0?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    are both signals 4-2-0?
    I'm pretty sure the live HDMI, whether recording internally or not, is actual uncompressed 4:2:2, but so much of the 1080 image is wasted due to a 4:3 crop, so you have to ask whether more color sampling in a lower resolution image is worth the hassle of workarounds.

I say no.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast