Thread: "vii"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A comedy that looked like it could really be funny. I totaly enjoyed the quality and premise of this piece, but the whole gay relationship thing wasn't funny for me. I was rooting for it though and hoping for some real zingers. It had it's moments don't get me wrong. But what do I know about comedy. Good Job!
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

2. Collapse Details
    I enjoyed this film. campy and funny. Nicely shot and entertaining.

I would have liked to have seen the interviewer though.

/j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Nice work all around, right down to the laugh track. You went with some pretty stereotypical jokes and the bit seemed to drag just a bit for me at times.

It definitely kept my interest though and it was fairly unique for this fest.
    Well shot and acted too!

Nice work.

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I don't think I saw your other short? Was it in a different fest?

What I did like about Vii was routed in perspective, as in it knows exactly what it wants to be for the most part and you went for it without waylaying on the swaying. It's a look at a group of "monsters" that live together but are having relationship issues in a triangular fashion. Each one with a separate and actually believable personality and response to each other. In the few minutes that the skit/interview goes, you get a sense of that, down to the different punches and jokes that are being delivered.

Comedy is difficult, and tastes are vast so it's generally a hit or miss. It isn't my personal flavor of comedy but I do see that whoever cut this one up has a sense for timing in general. I DO feel like it's a bit long, and a lot of the jokes-- for me-- didn't sing but that's only personal preference, and nothing that's bad or wrong. The laugh track is great, sometimes it felt like it overpowered the dialog for me in the mix, but it definitely fits the bill.

One thing that I would totally consider thinking about, if you're a fan of comedy and you want to pursue it in the future, is how you approach subjects like homosexuality and even heterosexuality. I don't agree that you should sensor yourself, but it does all come down to context. In the end, the flagrant use of a certain term comes off as a crutch or overdone, when once would have been enough.

What happens is that it may come off as homophobic, even if this isn't the view of the writer or content creators. I'm not saying the term should not be used, certainly homosexuals use the term with each other joking or angrily, simply that-- like any word that could cause discomfort-- you pick the right time to use it, and certainly not excessively.

Visually, very cool. I'm not so sure how I feel about Igor and Ivan against a pretty nice backdrop that you've chosen, the white shirt and all, but either way it looks great. Nice compositions, nothing that I saw what looked off or unappealing.

Great entry guys, thanks for sharing.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks everybody, and thank you Kholi for your in depth review, we really appreciate it.

With the first short we entered only our local firm festival (vimeo).

We agree about the approach to homosexuality, it was very difficult for us to figure if we crossed the line or not, which we didn't intend to. But we made a decision not to shoot the short in our native language and there is the cultural difference.

Also, thanks everybody for constructive criticism, it helps as a lot!

And here are some pictures from the set, we didn't want to spoil anything before the movie

6. Collapse Details
    This was an ambitious idea that could have fallen flat on it's face and you carried it of very well on the whole. Great cinematography and good acting. Some of the dialogue was a little difficult to understand at times but then you were playing up the accents and it must have been pretty difficult to get the right balance in a foreign language. Good work, thanks.

7. Collapse Details
    I loved this film. Unique. Quirky. I totally appreciated it. Great job guys!

8. Collapse Details
    HOLLY CRAP that was funny. Very well done piece and a good refreshing alternative to everything else I've seen so far. VLADs voice and comedic timing was impeccable. The laugh track all seemed in the wrong place which made it even more funny too me. I was laughing at everything in between.

You should send this to SNL (Saturday Night Live) for next halloween. They would have to include it.

Well done, well done!

9. Collapse Details
    Great job guys!!! Comedy is about the hardest thing to do and you guys pulled it of in a different language, amazing! Much respect

Rakesh Jacob : writer director cinematographer editor (wannabe auteur)
    www.vimeo.com/infopimps Check out some of my work
    www.youtube.com/ipimpstv Over 7.9mil views

10. Collapse Details
    I laughed a lot watching this one. The set up is absolutely crazy. Siamese twins, one of them is straight, the other gay. Wow, another "why didn't I think of that" moment.

Now, throwing some monsters in the mix, that's pretty insane.

Loved the film. Good job! Thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast