1. Collapse Details
    HMC40 XLR inputs and beachtek
    Hi, Can a beachtek xlr adaptor work with the hmc40? Will it have the same results (quality) as the panosonic xlr adaptor? (They seem to have a lower price)

2. Collapse Details
    I don't know about specifically the hmc40. I have a beachtek, I used to use with my GULP
    GL1.

The quality was superb. I wouldn't worry about the quality as long as you set the levels correctly. I love the beachtek, I don't know if their design has changed, but my model is not phantom powered, so you need a powered mic.

I recommend the ME66, with the hybrid power capsule. It works with a AA battery, AND works with phantom power, and costs the same as the phantom or batt only capsules. You won't regret it. It's not the best mic in the world, BUT it is the best value, it competes with mics that cost 3x the price, and is an industry workhorse.

(I don't work for either of these companies so no bias here other than my fondness for the tools.)

3. Collapse Details
    The Panasonic XLR adapter supplies 48v phantom mic power, and any Beachtek model that supplies phantom mic power is going to cost about the same. Also, the Panasonic adapter uses the camera battery to supply power, where the Beachtek would require additional batteries.

AG-MYA30G 2-Channel XLR Mic Adaptor
    http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-MYA30G

4. Collapse Details
    If the HMC40 has a 3.5mm mic input i would without any doubt use a BeachTek box, such as the DXA-6A.

The Panasonic DVC30 uses the AG-MYA30G as well, and i got less hiss with the DXA-6. At high audio levels the AG-MYA30G distorts pretty easy as well while the DXA-6 does not.

/Roger

5. Collapse Details
    Averdahl, those are my same experiences as well. The AG-MYA30G just did not perform as well as beachtek products when used with the DVC30.

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    Alright! More competition in this area! So there is now a panasonic option, beachtek, the XLR Pro and the JuicedLink option... Thank you for the information.

8. Collapse Details
    Question
    I remember reading that a dynamic microphone would not work well with the Beachtek XLR adapter because the signal level was too low. Has anyone had any problems like that with the Beachtek?

Bob Diaz

9. Collapse Details
    Exclamation
    I was able to borrow a friend's BeachTek DXA-4S XLR Adapter and I purchased an inexpensive ($7) XLR --> 1/8" Stereo Cable Adapter. Using an XLR Dynamic Microphone, I tried it several ways:

(1) On camera microphone: Not bad, but some echo.

(2) $7 XLR --> 1/8" Stereo Cable Adapter: First the adapter cable does NOT have any transformer; thus the balanced connection is made into an unbalanced connection. Second, the audio sounds a bit off.

(3) BeachTek DXA-4S XLR Adapter: In the Stereo setting, the audio sounds weird, but in the mono setting, the audio sounds reasonable. I only had the microphone plugged into left channel and the right was left open with the gain at maximum. This model adapter is passive, but an open input can cause problems in the stereo setting.

The Camera is the Samsung SC-HMX20C HD Video Camera.

I'm in the process of uploading a video to Vimeo, so that you can hear the results and download the file....

Bob Diaz
    Last edited by BobDiaz; 10-07-2009 at 02:35 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Here's the video result.....
    Exclamation
    Here's the video from Vimeo and the link if you wish to download the source file.

http://vimeo.com/6953339

I'm going to borrow some other mikes and try this test again....

Bob Diaz