Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    Unless I missed something in SF3 or 4, where I couldn't find time to read the scripts (or indeed even to write one of my own), this is the first ScriptFest adaption of something that's still copyrighted (I seem to recall a public domain Twilight Zone adaptation or 2 in SF2). As such, I think maybe a little background on how you came to convince Mr. King to allow you to adapt this might be in order. I'm not doubting that you have permission to do so, but it doesn't seem that you contacted him specifically in relation to this fest, so I'm just curious as to how this whole situation came about.

What I'm finding, though, is that it's almost impossible for me to judge this, because although I don't recall reading this particular story (and quite frankly I may have, back in the day, because I read a shedload of Stephen King back in the 80's), the script reads as (and I don't mean this as an insult) fairly standard Stephen King. And I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but anybody who's read more than about two Stephen King novels should probably be able to see this. Vampires? Check. Surprisingly wise old New England guys? Ayuh. So obviously you've captured the Stephen King vibe, and maybe that's what constitutes a success in this situation.

BTW, Sean, I have to ask you: do you actually know what a "Scout" is? Just curious... If you do, I'd have to guess you're doing better than some of the younger folks reading this...
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

2. Collapse Details
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

3. Collapse Details
    Unless I missed something in SF3 or 4, where I couldn't find time to read the scripts (or indeed even to write one of my own), this is the first ScriptFest adaption of something that's still copyrighted (I seem to recall a public domain Twilight Zone adaptation or 2 in SF2). As such, I think maybe a little background on how you came to convince Mr. King to allow you to adapt this might be in order. I'm not doubting that you have permission to do so, but it doesn't seem that you contacted him specifically in relation to this fest, so I'm just curious as to how this whole situation came about.

As Chris stated (thanks Chris) it's a dollar baby. A now pretty infamous method in which King allows filmmakers to adapt his work into none profit films - can be shown in festivals only.

With Monster Fest I figured it was the perfect "classic" tale of horror that film makers here might want to adapt.

you've captured the Stephen King vibe
    Thanks. If I didn't or it was lost in translation, this would have been a failure on every level. Why adapt someones work in any shape or form and lose the vibe of who created it in the first place? I've tested the adaptation on numerous King fans and got the same feedback. For me my main goal was to remain true to the original tale (especially on the short form).

I was hoping readers here would judge it as it is, a story. Not care who wrote it or what it was adapted from, to my mind it doesn't matter. We are story tellers, no matter if we came up with the ideas - adapted or written from the ground up. How well is the story told is the key.

I first wrote this a a short film, fleshing out the characters and plot and ended up with around a 40 page short film that fans and none fans of King loved. But left me with a big problem as it was too long for a short (but most people's standards).

So I've finished a 100 page feature and a 15 page short (direct adaptation for short movie use) - both as writing exercises, but in the hope that a short film (at least) could be pitched.

To me, when I read it first, it read as a classic horror tale and contained all the right beats and elements of a great story. I would have liked more room to breathe but I've learned a lot regarding saying more with less words on the page.

4. Collapse Details
    I was hoping readers here would judge it as it is, a story. Not care who wrote it or what it was adapted from, to my mind it doesn't matter.
    To me, it does matter. It's a story by Stephen freaking King! It's presumptuous to think its presence here isn't at least a little awkward. Adaptations can be difficult or even impossible endeavors. Dante's Inferno for instance, would make a terrible movie without some really creative angle in the adaptation process. Having not read THIS story in years I can't say for sure but I would bet that it's no Dante's Inferno in terms of complexity. It would be easier for me to critique your longer form scripts you mentioned as you would no doubt have added enough of your own writing just to get them to those page lengths. With this, I have the sneaking suspicion that nothing was added, only subtracted and I think a much higher level of respect is owed to those who actually tackled a blank page.

In my opinion it shouldn't be here, but that's fine, it already is. I do however think it's impossible to rate fairly without reading the source material and knowing exactly what you subtracted or added. Otherwise, I feel like I would just be critiquing Stephen King which again --- awkward.

5. Collapse Details
    BTW, Sean, I have to ask you: do you actually know what a "Scout" is? Just curious... If you do, I'd have to guess you're doing better than some of the younger folks reading this...
    No need to rub it in that I'm older than some here....

A scout is a 4 wheel drive pickup, or as we like I like to call "a big f$%k off car because I so much money it drips out my a$£" - well the four wheel drive jeeps over here are at least lol!

I tried using four wheel drive and then decided to just stick with scout as I figured these people speak their own language and wouldn't bother to translate especially for the big city fool/tourist.

6. Collapse Details
    Technical - I felt the setting that it was cold, but the 'phone is always dead' in stories like this. Nothing new there.

Use strong verbs - instead of 'start to run' just state "they run" or use a similie, "they run like hell."

Overall - I found myself displeased that you would use an 'adaptation' for a short film. I believe these exercises are for creative flow and thinking.

Barbra Streisand took a small book, "Yentl" and made a feature film. Good for her.

But here, on dvxuser, for a SIX-PAGE-SHORT, I don't get it, I really don't. We've all been around here for awhile and I think everyone is capable of coming up with an ORIGINAL story.

I want to hear what's in your head, not Stephen King's.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

7. Collapse Details
    I've come up with over 100 short scripts in various genres (actually tried em all I think). Even had an original draft ready (barely in time) for this that worked out really well.

I wanted to try an adaptation and picked my favorite writer.

The reason it is here, is I figured it matched the movie fest and one of the film makers would have like a bash at a dollar baby.

After getting repeatedly hit over the head, it appears I was wrong.

I asked permission for the book. Asked permission for the fest and still.......

8. Collapse Details
    Sean - next time, let us know what's in your clever, devious mind of yours, I am sure you will not displease us!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

9. Collapse Details
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    Quote Originally Posted by seansshack View Post
    No need to rub it in that I'm older than some here....

A scout is a 4 wheel drive pickup, or as we like I like to call "a big f$%k off car because I so much money it drips out my a$£" - well the four wheel drive jeeps over here are at least lol!

I tried using four wheel drive and then decided to just stick with scout as I figured these people speak their own language and wouldn't bother to translate especially for the big city fool/tourist.
    No ageism intended, just wasn't sure if those had been sold on that side of the pond.
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

10. Collapse Details
    No this far east lol!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234