Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    D90 Low-light test with Sankor 16C Anamorphic lens
    (I posted this in the 5d MarkII area...I know I'm such a traitor! ) I just shot it real quick tonight...man do I wish we had Manual control for the D90...

Here is a Sankor 16C low light test. (Sorry the music is the same as the prior movie.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7CzO7RZY8

I still don't have the adapter to attach this, so I'm still holding it with my hand. This test is a low-light test. I just wanted to get a look at true 2x Anamorphic. (last upload was actually around 1.5x) ...this one's for you hyalinejim! (you mentioned this 1.5x last time...I tried a little different export method)

I also wanted anyone intersted to see it perform in low light. As well as getting a look at the absence of lens flares....I found that it needs to be a much stronger light source.

Also note that this footage has not be color corrected or processed. One final note, this was shot on a D90 with a 55-200 DX lens. With a Sankor 16C handheld infront of other lens. F4.0 mostly, ISO 200...

2. Collapse Details
    Can I ask, how different would your footage look if you had "Manual control"? Are you referring to the set-up hassles?

I'm assuming ISO 200 is your estimate. This is a lovely look. Solid dark spaces.

3. Collapse Details
    ISO 200 is what is says in my viewfinder. True...that doesn't mean that's what it is. (D90) I would say though, that as you mentioned, "Solid dark spaces"....I think ISO 200 look about right.

As far as "looking different"...I am referring to the color cast difference in the candle warmth. I "shifts" several times. That shifting is between takes and the D90 deciding for me what the settings will be (besides aperture)...

Thanks for watching it anyway.

4. Collapse Details
    Here is some footage with my adapter, (superglue rig job)....it's working great though! I had a concern about this Sankor 16C. I wasn't sure if I could get it to focus properly. Now that I have it attached it works just fine. You must focus on BOTH lenses though. (focal length only)

Here's some sample footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ctB8lc60

5. Collapse Details
    shot on 0:08 would look great on crane ,some shots with DOF also look very good,but this aspect ratio... i guess 1.5 anamorphic would be better here than 2.0.

6. Collapse Details
    shot on 0:08 would look great on crane ,some shots with DOF also look very good,but this aspect ratio... i guess 1.5 anamorphic would be better here than 2.0.
    I agree that 2.0 Anamorphic (from 16:9) is rather extreme. I haven't made up my mind if I will ever use it. I'm trying to be patient though and try it in various circumstances and see if it grows on me...(for the right project). Thanks for your input, thanks for watching!

I will also say that I hope above all that other people who have a desire to shoot anamorphic will watch this and have a reference point. I saw the Iscorama footage and really liked it. It is 1.5 I believe. I wasn't real certain what I thought of 2x. Also, I wasn't even sure if a Sankor 16C would work. To be honest, I didn't even know if it would focus, or even fit right. After I got it I wasn't sure if it could focus sharp enough. After using it, I can see that it is workable....that doesn't mean it's enjoyable. (to work with or to look at)

I hope others will find the information that they are looking for by looking at my footage. (Hate it? Like it? Not sure?) Hopefully this will help them decide what works for them.

THANKS AGAIN!

7. Collapse Details
    but this aspect ratio... i guess 1.5 anamorphic would be better here than 2.0
    Here's 1.5 from that same lens...(different day, adapter is being held in my hand here). I think some people who are shooting 2x are actually only "stretching it" by 1.5...that's what I did here. Not as extreme and almost not able to tell that it is 2x. Anyway....here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsQyk...eature=channel

8. Collapse Details
    You had better focus in this video,also its not so overexposed like the one on cemetery.
    I would like to see some more ,but careful with exposure less whites in frame is less information lost also whites hit the eye if are too contrasty,you can try to bring levels down but its better to not overexpose.
    So youre still holding it with hand or you can let it go ,how did you mount it ,you have some pics ?

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the input. I'll be mindful of my exposure next time. As for my mounting, I'll take pics and post them tomorrow. I used a step down ring (the threading pitch is not standard, so no standard step down ring will fit)...the Sankor 16C has an edge that I was able to superglue the step down ring to. It's working GREAT!

10. Collapse Details
    So youre still holding it with hand or you can let it go ,how did you mount it ,you have some pics ?
    I'll take pics and post them tomorrow. I used a step down ring (the threading pitch is not standard, so no standard step down ring will fit)...the Sankor 16C has an edge that I was able to superglue the step down ring to. It's working GREAT!

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast