Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    7d - buy ?
    OK what are the pros and cons of purchase

I think the crop sensor offeers the perfect DOF for cinematography

The frame rates are superb

Is that all that is needed in a camera

What else will we desire.

To me the cost of all of these camera is pretty cheap - if they are good for a couple of years

Buying a camera every six months does grate a little

What I really want is a FF nikonD4, (CanonDS or scarlet) with XLR , monitored sound and a RAW codec and AF and of course

So its another not quite camera - buy or not?

S

2. Collapse Details
    Until you see more tests there's no way to tell. The anti-aliasing filter for one is a big deal. Handling highlights is another. Also HDMI out while not a deal breaker, makes it easier so you can use lcd monitors on a rails rig, so it's easier to see in tight areas. Right now there's a lot we don't know. My eyes are on this cam, but I'll let Kholi and some of the others give it some tests before I buy.

3. Collapse Details
    Interestingly if my 5d has 'no value' now it has cost 2k over nine months..

2,000.00 cost
    9 months life
    270 Days life
    7.41 Daily Rental

Worth it IMO

The 'cost' would be even less on this baby

S

4. Collapse Details
    Don't worry - how many miles you got on it. I may buy it from you. My wife is a pro photographer and for still images the 5D is still the best camera. Now I'm in the market for a 5D and maybe a 7D LOL

5. Collapse Details
    It would be a good stills camera if I had any canon glass and didnt already own a D3 and a HassyH22

This reminds me of the stills period a few years ago when I spooled through nikon D100, D70 and D80 in what felt like a few months, I never bothered with D1x or D2, D2x, because I knew that in the big picture all those cameras where a POS that would only last one year - my stills requirement was 10+mp in a decent body with a sensible RAW buffer - I have that now

The D3 and the H22 are proper tools that even if outdated are still making me very happy

My D90 was superceded in two months !

Of course to an operator with a bit of spare cash the 5d remains the best tool for lowlight, dreamy slo-mo, and a 14 2.8 FOV

S

6. Collapse Details
    Why don't you all go and pre order the 7d at best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218115078883

But seriously, can you pre-order this thing yet? (no idea what's going on over at best buy).
    TRACEY LEE FILMMAKER
    www.dslrcinema.com

7. Collapse Details
    I pre-ordered mine this morning at 8am from Amazon...got confimation and an order number. I've just read that Amazon has pulled the pre-order page. I guess they filled their quota. Shades of GH1 Hell Batman!!!!
    "All i need in a camera is out there, just not in the same body at the same time. :-) " mattsand

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by octopi_films View Post
    Why don't you all go and pre order the 7d at best buy:
    not sure why I would buy that is the point of the thread..

For..

Framerate
    handle able DOF from super35 sensor

against

have a 5d/EX1
    no XLR/monitor/levels
    not nikon* (!)
    no decent AF
    not RAW
    5d may IMO get framerate

Some of those things may be sorted in the next three months by another model- its the same old question of bleeding edge vs snoozing/losing

It is my opinion that Nikon will eventually get thier sh1t together (D4) and produce something stunning - as may sony or even Red or a Canon 1DXX

One of those will be 'the final solution' as the D3x is IMO for stills

S

9. Collapse Details
    You should quickly purchase this cam before it is back ordered till next year. The price is so low that everyone will try to get one. I think over half of the GH1 orders will be canceled and will preorder the 7D. I just preordered for $1650 after cashback from Bing!

10. Collapse Details
    I did make mumblings at my dealer - one of the smaller UK pro shops - Im top of their list

the sort of place canon will want to have stock at , Im not up for internet shopping -maybe getting old or something

Its strange how one gets attached to a lump of plastic (the 5d) its so 1990s to have connection to an item, the modern way is to think about these things costing by the month - thats also tragic in terms of its environmental impact - Id much prefer a digiback for my Nikon F3 and keep my footprint lower in terms of all the fancy materials being pissed up the wall wiuth dumped consumer stuff -im just considering dumping heaps of outmoded technology old CRTs etc that is costing me to store and cost me $1000s to buy

S
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 09-01-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast