Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Scarlett is B.S!!!!!!
    OK ,Now I have your attention(LOL!)

I want to take a trip back from dreamland of Scarlett and those waiting for it to a trip back to earth and logistical reality.

First RED did launch their RED camera and my hats off to them on this achievement.
    This fledgling company was able to produce a camera body for $17,500 which when kitted out to run probably costs $40,000....pretty rarified air

Not having privy to sales and support, lets enthusiastically estimate sales max to be 100 plus to date with back orders etc. Now step back and think of the logistics of support for this equipment ,people facilities, time, capital expenditures.

Now....... think about selling something for $3000 .....manufacturing now must scale up signifigantly while keep quality control .Sales ...100's quicky.. probably 1000's Think of the logistics of supporting this and the capital expenditures required for ... servicing etc.....

Seems to me if any thing goes wrong with Scarlett Red would have a massive fiscal issues on their hands very quicky...is it any wonder they are taking their time releasing this thing .

In the mean time the big boys Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc while perfectly capable of producing a "scarlett" just keep upping the game with frequent video DSLR remakes which acomplishes 2 tasks .

1) milking every last possible sales dollar

2)reducing Scarlet's possible market share .

Soon it will be gone from high end consumers eyes completely because on its release it will certainly not be available to mere mortals without probably a years waiting time.
    And so it will be left for us us lunatic fringe who are willing to put up our money and wait .
    BUT if you think it through that Could be the BEST thing to happen to RED as going TOO BIG TOO FAST could and most likely wiil be their biggest enemy....

larry

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by larryfine451 View Post

Not having privy to sales and support, lets enthusiastically estimate sales max to be 100 plus to date with back orders etc. Now step back and think of the logistics of support for this equipment ,people facilities, time, capital expenditures.

You don't even have privy to LOGIC.

A basic internet search will show you that the latest serial numbers being shipped for the RED One are in the 6800s.

You fail.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Man, I hate it when Matt drops the logic on posts like this. It just derails what would have been an entertaining, if completely humiliating for the OP, thread.

4. Collapse Details
    Um yeah- that's a pretty unfounded rant. Do a little research next time out. For example:

If everything goes according to plan, the scarlet's/epic's are targeted to be realesed in late October/November of this year with the Epic X and the 3K scarlets coming out first.

Straight from the mouth of Ted:

http://www.fxguide.com/redcentre

click on #043, it's just slightly passed the half way point.

Again this is still just a target date, but at least it's something. If this has already been posted then sorry for re-posting.
    Noah
    One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
    Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes I posted a nearly identical rant on this and REDuser in June. Good to know that smart biz people do think alike

Quote Originally Posted by larryfine451 View Post
    OK ,Now I have your attention(LOL!)

I want to take a trip back from dreamland of Scarlett and those waiting for it to a trip back to earth and logistical reality.

First RED did launch their RED camera and my hats off to them on this achievement.
    This fledgling company was able to produce a camera body for $17,500 which when kitted out to run probably costs $40,000....pretty rarified air

Now....... think about selling something for $3000 .....manufacturing now must scale up signifigantly while keep quality control .Sales ...100's quicky.. probably 1000's Think of the logistics of supporting this and the capital expenditures required for ... servicing etc.....

Seems to me if any thing goes wrong with Scarlett Red would have a massive fiscal issues on their hands very quicky...is it any wonder they are taking their time releasing this thing .

In the mean time the big boys Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, etc while perfectly capable of producing a "scarlett" just keep upping the game with frequent video DSLR remakes which acomplishes 2 tasks .

1) milking every last possible sales dollar

2)reducing Scarlet's possible market share .

Soon it will be gone from high end consumers eyes completely because on its release it will certainly not be available to mere mortals without probably a years waiting time.
    And so it will be left for us us lunatic fringe who are willing to put up our money and wait .
    BUT if you think it through that Could be the BEST thing to happen to RED as going TOO BIG TOO FAST could and most likely wiil be their biggest enemy....

larry

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    You don't even have privy to LOGIC.

A basic internet search will show you that the latest serial numbers being shipped for the RED One are in the 6800s.

You fail.
    Not to sound rude, but I'll bet $1,000 you can't come up with the names of 6800 RED owners.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    Not to sound rude, but I'll bet $1,000 you can't come up with the names of 6800 RED owners.
    What does that prove?
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

8. Collapse Details
    Hmmm. It's amazing when someone who speculates on an interesting, albiet different point of view gets flamed immediately.

Getting back from cameras, and also acknowledging that all things are never equal. The OP
    COULD be correct in his assessment. MANY companies, and usually startups have gone broke expanding too fast. I also think it's not the best sign when the company motto, "Obsolesence Obsolete," inspires a herd of people to put down a deposit, and wait over a year past the promised delivery date, only to find that less than two years after the announcement, let alone delivery, of the RED ONE, the company is planning two new lines that directly compete with the original camera.

Granted they offer a nice upgrade plan, but the EPIC still costs another 17000+ USD after the credit from the returned RED ONE.

I think aside from the details, the OP is trying to look at their business from a different angle.

I happen to agree with the overall idea, too. red ray, red rocket, epic, scarlet, which are all modular and therefore likely require more manufacturing lines. Meanwhile RED ONE users are still dealing with crashes, and overheating.

Many red fanboys on reduser are upset that Red is spending so much effort on new releases when they haven't even gotten the red one right yet.

I think these are all signs that the company IS moving too fast. The only problem is that they have to.

Canon and Panasonic are a master quality compression scheme away from scarlet's of their own. Also they have bigger sensors, for less money. All they would need to do is release an HDSLR right now with live HDMI 10-bit 4:2:2, and a customer could add a nanoflash for near HDCAM SR quality (it's generally agreed that the new Sony DSP is between HDCAM and HDCAM SR quality, and closer to HDCAM SR, visually).

Don't get me wrong, if Scarlet came out tomorrow with their posted specs, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I'm not a fanboy. I don't care what company it is, I want the best product for the best value, and the best tool for me.

My post has gotten a little muddied up, but you know what, there's plenty of room for rants, and the main point is that RED is not perfect, and those who love the company the most would be wise to critique their practices, if they are detrimental to the long term solvency.

As far as I know they are not a public company, there's no 10-q to see their earnings, and if GM can go to the brink of being out of business, then a startup trying to take on the world must be very careful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by arrestthisman View Post
    Canon and Panasonic are a master quality compression scheme away from scarlet's of their own.
    Panasonic's already got one, with AVC-Intra... if they'd slap that on Ben's GHX100, that'd be interesting.

Canon hasn't ever forayed into their own codec development as far as I know, although they did sort of modify HDV. I'd be pretty happy with it if they'd just implement a full-power version of AVCHD, at least at this price point.

Also they have bigger sensors, for less money. All they would need to do is release an HDSLR right now with live HDMI 10-bit 4:2:2, and a customer could add a nanoflash for near HDCAM SR quality (it's generally agreed that the new Sony DSP is between HDCAM and HDCAM SR quality, and closer to HDCAM SR, visually).
    Agreed. However, there's way more to a camera (or a complete camera system, I should say) than a sensor and an HDMI port. Those who recognize that, will probably be very much anticipating a full cine camera like the Scarlet or a full video camera like the EX1/HPX170. Those who value price above all else and will work around any obstacle for that low price, will be more attracted to the insanely cheap DSLRs.

As far as I know they are not a public company, there's no 10-q to see their earnings, and if GM can go to the brink of being out of business, then a startup trying to take on the world must be very careful.
    Yes, but their founder has a little bit of business acumen (massive understatement). I doubt that Red will be run off course by mismanagement due to inexperience.

10. Collapse Details
    As always, all common sense from Barry

Regarding RED's business fragility, I don't think they would go out of business due to inexperience. Using GM as an example was a poor analogy because they dug their own grave. I'm thinking more along the lines of catastrophic American economic climate. Because of the diversity of Panny and Sony, if one branch is wiped out, or even a country, they have the whole world. One could say the same for RED, they could sell to foreign markets, I just think they'd have to paddle upstream a bit harder than global companies. I acknowledge that this is total speculation, and I could be WAY off.

And, of course there is more to a camera system than the sensor and output. But, I think we've all witnessed breakthrough cameras at low price points that all seem to have an Achilles heel. The EX-1 for example is a dream, practically a mini-red, except for the codec! (granted its implementation is way better than it has a right to be at 35mbits/sec.)

It seems that RED has kind of hit the nail on the head with what most digital cinematographers want. Specs aside, freedom of lenses, high resolution, and the most mailability in post possible for the given system looks like where the direction is going.

A properly downscaled HDSLR's 1080p output with a robust codec would get people somewhat close to that, in a smaller, much cheaper package. Different animals, but closer than what we have now at two completely different price points.

Also with tech moving so fast, I don't see anything wrong with those who chose to ride the low end. A person or company who invests in an HPX3700 is two years or less from a better product at an equal or lower price point. This is the way it is. I don't think it'll change anytime soon or maybe ever. Different than the film world where some seek out 25 year old cameras on purpose.

I think it kind of comes down to people who like to own their own equipment. We want the absolute best value, and the best picture we can afford.

I was sitting on my deck today watching the sunset, and the lake, and it kind of clicked; I realized the motive of compulsion of the tech. (At least for me.) If I was able to record the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen, I'd want it to have as much visual glory in 20 years or more as it does now.

Making movies or content of any kind is VERY hard. Of course you'd want it to look as great as possible, not just now, but in the future. And it's a losing game because photography of all kinds will always get better. And who knows, in 200 years movies may be completely usurped by other entertainment medium(s).

I think I've gone on an tangent here, and I apologize for that. But as someone who is as interested in tech as content itself, it's important. Our selection of tools are awesome as is, though. But civil debate over the direction of what we call progress is always fun.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast