Thread: The Stepmother

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Collapse Details
    Now this is an interesting film!

A supernatural drama, that builds quite a disturbing atmosphere based around the performance of the mother, and the aquisition of the creepiest little girl (bless her heart) known to mankind. It's shot nicely enough and edited with some quirks to add to the horror and suspense.

However its not perfect!!

The exposition at the start is perhaps a little too overkill, really do we need to know the mothers social security number? The priests act competently enough but there costumes and apperance would lend some to think there some kinky hired stripper act!!!

There just such butch handsome priests (you can tell them that) with rubbery priest outfits, i kind of wondered if any second a disco ball might drop down and those vestry shirts were about to get ripped off - pump it up pump it up! Oooh Yeah!

But no.... (and er thank god)

Our little girl is perhaps too obviously creepy. Imagine how disturbing it woudl be if we didn't actually cast Wednesday Adams as our young voodoo priestess?

The more obvious - the less we think. I think you have skill in drama, that can afford to be a little less 'accessible'.

Perhaps dad's reaction at the end (and the whole knife death) were respectively too indifferent and 'easy.'
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Now this is an interesting film!

A supernatural drama, that builds quite a disturbing atmosphere based around the performance of the mother, and the aquisition of the creepiest little girl (bless her heart) known to mankind. It's shot nicely enough and edited with some quirks to add to the horror and suspense.

However its not perfect!!

The exposition at the start is perhaps a little too overkill, really do we need to know the mothers social security number? The priests act competently enough but there costumes and apperance would lend some to think there some kinky hired stripper act!!!

There just such butch handsome priests (you can tell them that) with rubbery priest outfits, i kind of wondered if any second a disco ball might drop down and those vestry shirts were about to get ripped off - pump it up pump it up! Oooh Yeah!

But no.... (and er thank god)

Our little girl is perhaps too obviously creepy. Imagine how disturbing it woudl be if we didn't actually cast Wednesday Adams as our young voodoo priestess?

The more obvious - the less we think. I think you have skill in drama, that can afford to be a little less 'accessible'.

Perhaps dad's reaction at the end (and the whole knife death) were respectively too indifferent and 'easy.'
    Thank you for taking the time to comment on my film. Comments realy help me understantd what I need to work on to make a better movie.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by guerrasing View Post
    I loved your movie... I feel it tells a full story not just a quick scene. great job getting all that in 6 min. I would love to see the longer cut as you say you are doing. Great first time movie. the acting is the best.

Thank you for your comments. I was lucky to have gotten such great actors to be in the film. Matt Dottson is great and he has such passion. Meiko Mitchell is so talented.... She should be in Hollywood not in my 6 minute movies... but I am glad she wasn't in Hollywood yet.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    I pretty much concur with what Marlon has said here. I would add that the early closeups on Matt Dotson (between 00:59 and 01:41) suffered from insufficient light. He was lost in the shadows and I found it impossible to read his expressions.

Thank you for your comments... I want to continue to grow and make te best movie possible.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey well this was one of the few that genuinely surprised me - nice complete little story that fit the timeframe well - okay the acting was a little off at times but I liked the tone, very creepy and claustrophobic I loved your opening shots and most importantly - clever little story. Nice!
    Last edited by Sarah Daly; 11-11-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added some

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Daly View Post
    Hey well this was one of the few that genuinely surprised me - nice complete little story that fit the timeframe well - okay the acting was a little off at times but I liked the tone, very creepy and claustrophobic I loved your opening shots and most importantly - clever little story. Nice!

Thank you. I am very happy you likes it.

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Whoa! How'd I miss another Oregon film?

I really enjoyed this piece, stellar acting from the little girl, Dotson, the priest and Geno. I didnt like the end as much.

Btw Arturo, I see you are new here and this is your first fest and that you havent commented on any other films, usually it's polite to get out and comment and view the other films if you expect it to be done to yours.
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Philip Nelson View Post
    Whoa! How'd I miss another Oregon film?

I really enjoyed this piece, stellar acting from the little girl, Dotson, the priest and Geno. I didnt like the end as much.

Btw Arturo, I see you are new here and this is your first fest and that you havent commented on any other films, usually it's polite to get out and comment and view the other films if you expect it to be done to yours.
    Thanks. I will get to the comments on other films. Thanks for the advise.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567