1. Collapse Details
    Using SAG Actors
    I'm trying to decide if I'm going to enter. One of the things that's factoring in is should I go SAG or non union?

Has anyone ever used Screen Actor Guild members for their DVXFest project? If so, I'd love to hear. If any moderators want to comment on using SAG members, that would be cool too. I'm thinking it won't be a issue except for when it comes to the fest DVD. That could cause problems.

Say I use SAG actors, could I still be part of the "competition" part of the festival and waive being on the DVD?
    WGA Writer / Director / Photographer - IMDb
    Canon 5D Mark II - Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x - Manhattan LCD - Panasonic DVX100A - Letus35 Flip Enhanced - IndiRAILS - IndiFOCUS

WATCH Episode 1 of "MADISON AVERY" in HD

"Zimm" - www.ZimmTheSeries.com | www.youtube.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.facebook.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.twitter.com/ZimmTheSeries
    www.twitter.com/gregstorm

Check out my first multi-camera 5D Mark II production here.

2. Collapse Details
    I think, correct me if I'm wrong moderators, but the DVD is a 'we might someday, possibly want to make a DVD' and participation is voluntary.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by StormFactory View Post
    Has anyone ever used Screen Actor Guild members for their DVXFest project? ...
    We shot two of our prior DVXUSER fest entries using SAG actors under SAG Indie low budget contracts ("Where the Heart Lies" and "O2") and we we will be shooting our current entry with SAG talent as well. You can check out the contract options at the SAG Indie site.
    Say I use SAG actors, could I still be part of the "competition" part of the festival and waive being on the DVD?
    WTHL placed third in DramaFest and O2 won the TimeFest competition. I don't know if the mods will ever make a DVD again, but if they do, there is nothing in the SAG Indie contract that would prohibit our films from being included.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
    We shot two of our prior DVXUSER fest entries using SAG actors under SAG Indie low budget contracts ("Where the Heart Lies" and "O2") and we we will be shooting our current entry with SAG talent as well. You can check out the contract options at the SAG Indie site.

WTHL placed third in DramaFest and O2 won the TimeFest competition. I don't know if the mods will ever make a DVD again, but if they do, there is nothing in the SAG Indie contract that would prohibit our films from being included.
    If they sell the DVD you will have to pay your actors residuals based on the DVD sales. And how do you figure that breakdown when you will be one of many films on the DVD? Seems like it would be a complicated formula to pay the actors.

Plus, on some of those contracts it used to be that if you went to DVD before going to a theatrical release, your film would be reclassified as TV and there are no low budget TV agreements so you would retroactively have to pay your actors full scale. Not the reduced rate you were able to pay them under the Ultra-Low Budget Agreement.

That is what concerns me about the fest DVD. But if there hasn't been one yet and inclusion is voluntary, then SAG is definitely the way to go.
    WGA Writer / Director / Photographer - IMDb
    Canon 5D Mark II - Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x - Manhattan LCD - Panasonic DVX100A - Letus35 Flip Enhanced - IndiRAILS - IndiFOCUS

WATCH Episode 1 of "MADISON AVERY" in HD

"Zimm" - www.ZimmTheSeries.com | www.youtube.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.facebook.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.twitter.com/ZimmTheSeries
    www.twitter.com/gregstorm

Check out my first multi-camera 5D Mark II production here.

5. Collapse Details
    If there is a legal problem with putting your short on a DVD, I am SURE the mods on here would withhold putting it on
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

6. Collapse Details
    Even though, the SAG Ultra-low budget agreement can get you an actor for $100/8hrs, you have to consider the paperwork (better to hire a payroll firm), SS tax (empolyer's cut), workman's comp and SAG's cut. In the end, you will be paying over $400/8hrs. Make sure you don't go overtime, or skimp on Craft Services and breaks. You will get penalized.

The benefit is a bevy of great actors.

If your budget is under $1000 consider the Non-Union route.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketboy View Post
    Even though, the SAG Ultra-low budget agreement can get you an actor for $100/8hrs, you have to consider the paperwork (better to hire a payroll firm), SS tax (empolyer's cut), workman's comp and SAG's cut. In the end, you will be paying over $400/8hrs. Make sure you don't go overtime, or skimp on Craft Services and breaks. You will get penalized.

The benefit is a bevy of great actors.

If your budget is under $1000 consider the Non-Union route.
    This can be true but if you get cool people they aren't so worried about breaks and over time and penalties, etc. You want to be as professional as possible but don't be totally intimidated about it. Also, I've seen a lot of SAG actors that are great and a lot that are not so great. I've also seen some good Non Union people but don't think that once you've got a SAG actor that they're going to come in and blow minds. Good actors can be hard to come by if you're not sure where to look. Union or Non Union.

8. Collapse Details
    Very helpful thread!