Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    25p / 50p shutter speeds
    What is the slowest speed the shutter can be set at on the Pal model when shooting at 25p and at 50p? As everyone knows in film 25fps is a 50th and 50fps 100th with a 180 shutter. How fast is the GH1 between frames? Is there a time lag with the rolling shutter or is it continuous?

2. Collapse Details
    Most of the time you'll be shooting at those shutters. I usually shoot 60p at a 1/60 shutter and it works fine. I do 1/120 for slow motion if I need it. I don't shoot much of the 1080p.

In any case, the slowest shutter possible in video on a GH1 running 1.1 firmware is 1/2. Yes that means you're getting very very very choppy, very very very very motion blurry footage, as it's capturing only 2 (i believe) frames per second. But if you want to shoot it you can. Otherwise stick to those standard shutters.

3. Collapse Details
    Slowest shutter: 1080p = 1/30, 720p = 1/2 sec. Transcode without frame blending to 25 fps material shot at 1/50 in either mode looks just like it should with 'filmic' motion blur. Read my post here and check the picture.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...0&postcount=11

4. Collapse Details
    Martti. I looked at you post but I'm still not exactly clear not having the GH1 in my hands yet.

When shooting AVCHD 720 at 50p can the shutter expose at a full 1/50th sec.(1/60th sec.?)
    When shooting AVCHD 720 at 25p can the shutter expose at a full 1/25 sec.(1/30th sec ?)

Are the shutter speeds on the Pal GH1 the same as 35mm film SLR cameras that
    shoot 125th sec / 60th sec / 30th sec?
    (I know this will be clear when I have the camera which is back ordered 2 or 3 more weeks)

5. Collapse Details
    There's no 1/25 shutter speed. <--- Was wrong, there's 1/25 available in 720p mode, at least on my PAL GH1.

99% of the time I have the shutter at 1/50 in either mode to emulate a 180 degree film shutter. I avoid going below 1/50 as that makes the motion blur to long and smeary for me. Unless I use it as a effect, watch "A Kindling Light" in my sig link. I only use 1/100 in the 720p 50 fps mode if I know for certain that I want to use the take in slow-motion.

If you do a search here you can find links to the GH1 manual in pdf format to download. Should answer many of your questions.
    Last edited by Martti Ekstrand; 08-24-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: wrong about 1/25

6. Collapse Details
    Can the shutter be set at 1/30th sec AVCHD 720 25p
    and 1/30th sec AVCHD 1080 25p?
    This could be useful at night with streaking car lights or shooting fire.
    Does anyone have the link to the GH1 manual PDF format to download.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ROCKMORE; 08-23-2009 at 04:53 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_B View Post
    Most of the time you'll be shooting at those shutters. I usually shoot 60p at a 1/60 shutter and it works fine. I do 1/120 for slow motion if I need it. I don't shoot much of the 1080p.

In any case, the slowest shutter possible in video on a GH1 running 1.1 firmware is 1/2. Yes that means you're getting very very very choppy, very very very very motion blurry footage, as it's capturing only 2 (i believe) frames per second. But if you want to shoot it you can. Otherwise stick to those standard shutters.
    Ben
    Do you have any links to slow motion shots you've done at 60p 1/60 shutter?
    I'd also be interested in seeing your comparison between very choppy and very motion blurry
    in the same scene using the different settings.
    I'm not up on the firmware yet and sure to have questions when I get the camera
    Thanks Mike Rockmore
    Last edited by ROCKMORE; 08-23-2009 at 04:58 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMORE View Post
    Can the shutter be set at 1/30th sec AVCHD 720 25p
    and 1/30th sec AVCHD 1080 25p?
    Yes. I've already said this... "Slowest shutter: 1080p = 1/30, 720p = 1/2 sec."

If you want to see slow-motion with 1/50 shutter look no further than "Sthlm Rim Shots" in my sig link.

9. Collapse Details
    Looks good Martti. It's great this camera can beat the cine 180 shutter laws of physics. A real plus to soften things up.
    Do you have any 35mm cine lenses? I saw the clip with the Cook 18 which has a very nice smooth look to it.
    Last edited by ROCKMORE; 08-23-2009 at 05:27 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I wish. I have Canon FDs and the ciecio7 adapter bought over eBay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast