Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Another face, another night.
    Alright, so I'm hanging out at dvxuser on a Friday night, listening to Pink Floyd heavily (Pulse, Live), getting into the cans, and picked a face to model tonight, not to complete it or anything, just for relaxing.

This one in particular...

I thought it looked interesting. I didn't realize until now, after looking for the link, that the picture is one of a collection of Da Vinci's

Now I feel like I have good taste, after all, I picked a Da Vinci of all things to model. Cooool, haha.

I'm just dabbling in this tonight, so, just hanging out, relaxing, it won't get done or anything.
    But I'll post my progress as I mess around with it tonight, cause, why not?

Besides, modeling to Pink Floyd rocks.

I didn't know it was 12:14. About an hour on it so far. Oh well, I'll spend a couple more hours on it and...It'd be nice if I could model this in one night but not so. I'll try and get the frontal face roughed in though.
    I'd like to be able to get good enough to do this in one night. Not yet though.

//Oh yeah, someone else post once in a while.

Last edited by Gord.T; 03-22-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

2. Collapse Details
    PM'd you....????

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah Joe. I sent an email yesterday, and a PM now in case something got lost somewhere.

So here's after, what another 2 hrs I think? Pretty slow eh?
    I'm at a loss to explain why, other than lack of experience. I mean, I can look at it and say, that-that-that, then my PC takes 1 second in selecting every point or in doing anything, still, no excuse really.

If in 5 years I can't sit here on a Friday night and at least model a decent recognizable figure in 4 hours then I'd be surprised. I think the general human face should take 1 hour, but more complex faces would take as long as they need to be done properly. And I would hope it won't take me 5 years to get to that level. 2 if I try. Probably 3 if I slack and maybe 5 if life gets in the way.
    Otherwise 5 or die.

In the meantime, what can I say? Oh, I know. I had a good time trying anyways. Floyd Rocks + beer + modeling, haha.

Last edited by Gord.T; 03-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

4. Collapse Details
    I've had my fill talking to brick walls I think. Cheers.

5. Collapse Details
    Spent more time on my 'crotchety old man' tonight. No beer, no Pink Floyd and no brick walls tonight though. Going sloooow.

Last edited by Gord.T; 03-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Ah man your doing really good!

are you using just one reference image?

Anhar

Rabbi Zidni 'Ilma {20:114} My Forum: The IT Ninja

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks Anhar. I'm just using the one picture so it's a bit more thinking, not bad though.
    I found I was making the head a bit thin width wise which actually is kind of cool if it was a charactature, but I had to stretch it out some more. I also have to puff out the cheeks more and the eyes, the dreaded eyes. I'll get back to it near the weekend again.

8. Collapse Details
    Very impressed, so far. You're getting a lot of volume out of that image.
    The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

9. Collapse Details
    What method are you using to model it?
    never updated

10. Collapse Details
    I'm drawing polygons with symmetry on the face. I also extrude groups of edges and make cuts here and there. Keeping everything quads can be a bit tricky, like trying to solve a Rubics Cube sometimes, ha.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast