1. Collapse Details
    jumper setting on external harddrive
    i just bought a 200 gig internal hard drive and an external enclosure. I wanted to know which setting the jumper should be in? I have (2) 80 gigs in my main pc and i will use this 200 gig between the main pc and another pc. Any help would be great.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: jumper setting on external harddrive
    I'm not sure there's really enough information to go on. Does the external enclosure support FireWire or USB2? What is the model of the Hard Drive?

Some of those jumper settings are different between manufacturers and models. If the settings are not printed on the surface of the Hard Drive, you might be able to go to the Manufacturers website, and download the documentation for that model.
    Mike King - Sherwood, Oregon
    Filmmaker, Runner, Chess fanatic, and Software Engineer

3. Collapse Details

way too many variables, is it an ide drive or an sata?

did you try just putting the drive in the enclosure and connecting the drive and power cables and then connecting the whole mess to the computer and starting it up to see if it works?

in general unless you are a computer geek it can be a LOT easier and even cheaper to buy the external drive+case all together.

matthew

4. Collapse Details
    I would think you'd want it to be a Slave in an external box so you can move it around ( very nice ), if it's a western digital they have a funky jumper config so I don't use a jumper at all! Read the instruction sheet with the HD or it's on the label on top of the HD, and it'll advise.... well maybe it will.

Master is for 1st & only drive.

Slave is for 2nd drive on std cable, jumper in PK position, removed or on DS pin in a flag arrangment.

Cable select is for both drives configured the same, cable determines Master /Slave relationship.

SATA..I don't know but it's not to compete with high speed external devices, fire wire, etc...

If it doesn't work simply try all combinations, even NO JUMPER as on my IDE *Western Digital WD1200. It shouldn't be that tough, if still stumped call a local shop & ask.

Time to party!

5. Collapse Details
    On all my externals, I've got them set to Master. I believe that it's because it's the only drive in the chain sort of speak. The only time I have seen a master / slave configuration is when you have two IDE drives sharing the same cable.

Hope this helps,
    Vince