Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tommy, you did a nice job on this movie. I have to give you high marks on story, sound and composition/cinematography. All of these elements are rock solid. I particularity enjoyed how you placed your actors within a shot. All the actors did an acceptable job except your leads were trying a little too hard. The acting bordered on theatrical. The mother of the bride is particularly good. She got it right.

You did an excellent job executing the cut on the wine glass to evoke a jump. The actors' reactions did appear wrong. There should be an uncomfortable silence, then perhaps nervous laughter.

You did a remarkable job following the planchette on the board. Either you have incredible camera skills or you boned up on your After Effects. Great effects work overall. The only shot I didn't care for are kids zipping out of the shot near the end. BTW, they did an excellent job with the last two lines. They made it work.

I'm anxious to see your next endeavor.

2. Collapse Details
    No Michael, not nit picks at all, I appreciate the comments, good and bad ;-)

One question though, what did you mean by the music sounded a "bit studio".
    Do you mean as opposed to a full orchestra, or something else?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Got a chance to watch this. Fun movie.
    I felt that some of the reactions in a few of the scenes were a bit off at times.

The glass scene should have received more than just laughs. A few of them should have been freaked out a bit. Then the girl in the bathroom.
    She gets a scary visit and then we see her leaving with the rest of them, yet there's no mention of it? I just found some of their reactions to be a little unrealistic.

I also felt that the way the bride talked to the board at the end was a bit off. I would have been crapping my pants.

All that aside I thought it was shot pretty well and I enjoyed the story. I thought the ending was pretty great as well. Nice way to tie it all up.
    The sound was also pretty good even though it came off a bit studio.

The music and SFX were cool. Loved the eye shot! Excellent work.

Hope you don't mind the nitpicks, that's all they are.

Nice work. I really hope you enter the next fest.
    Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

MAH

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMerry View Post
    No Michael, not nit picks at all, I appreciate the comments, good and bad ;-)

One question though, what did you mean by the music sounded a "bit studio".
    Do you mean as opposed to a full orchestra, or something else?

Thanks!
    Actually, by sound I didn't mean the music, I meant the dialogue audio. Can't quite place it. It just sounded a bit different, not bad though.

Overall this sounded pretty good.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketboy View Post
    Tommy, you did a nice job on this movie. I have to give you high marks on story, sound and composition/cinematography. All of these elements are rock solid. I particularity enjoyed how you placed your actors within a shot. All the actors did an acceptable job except your leads were trying a little too hard. The acting bordered on theatrical. The mother of the bride is particularly good. She got it right.

You did an excellent job executing the cut on the wine glass to evoke a jump. The actors' reactions did appear wrong. There should be an uncomfortable silence, then perhaps nervous laughter.

You did a remarkable job following the planchette on the board. Either you have incredible camera skills or you boned up on your After Effects. Great effects work overall. The only shot I didn't care for are kids zipping out of the shot near the end. BTW, they did an excellent job with the last two lines. They made it work.

I'm anxious to see your next endeavor.
    Thanks for your feedback! Yes, the mother is a fantastic actor, I could see her on the lifetime channel easy. Thanks for the comment on the glass, It wasn't really there, its 3d image that I brought into after effects to shatter. The actors were reacting to me clapping my hands, they sold it great.

As far as camera following the planchette, you are correct :-)
    The ECUs were done with high resolution photos brought I took brought into AfterEffects and then painstakingly animated to have the feel that they were hand-moved Hee Hee. Gothca on the Kids scene

Thanks for your feedback!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Actually, by sound I didn't mean the music, I meant the dialogue audio. Can't quite place it. It just sounded a bit different, not bad though.

Overall this sounded pretty good.

Thanks for the Clarification Michael! ;-)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Ladd View Post
    I second that.
    Okay, the final file size after compression was just under 2GB before upload :-)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    Nice job man. I got a jump when the table jerked and the glass broke so that was nicely done. Lighting and acting was good too. Two thumbs dood! Too bad you couldn't get this into the competition in time.

Make sure to get into BetrayalFest and get it in time dood because you can bring some great competition to the table.
    Thanks Justin, I'm considering BetrayalFest.. still wiped out from just finishing MonsterFest.

Best!
    -Tommy

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Ladd View Post
    What up, Tommy??!!! Hey, I just checked it out and it's excellent! You did a very, very professional job. The story was good and the acting was excellent. That's the biggest thing lacking in some indie films. The reason why I say professional is because this is the kind of thing you see with TV shows. The directing and acting are always strong and doesn't pull away from the story like alot of indie flicks can.

The wine glass turned out great. LOL! That was alot of work for such a quick shot. It worked though!

Anyway, this film would have definitely made it in the finals IMO, because it was top-notch all around - lighting, directing, sound, story, acting, editing and effects. Great job! Glad you waited to make sure it was all polished up, because it came out sah-weeeet!!!
    Thanks Marlon. That means a lot coming from you - as I admire your work.

Yes, "the AfterEffects wine glass saga" LOL! I learned a lot from working with cinema 4d and after effects just on that one shot!
    All the best!!!

9. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Dude, very well done! I was very impressed with your storytelling and style. Soild work all around. Like the others said, some of the reactions from the actors could have been better,and I really don't get why the chick in the bathroom was normal the very next shot. That was a bit confusing. Also the transition when the kids ran off screen was a lot clumsy. Looks like you needed something to cut to... but didn't have the one clip you needed to bring it together. That was a big distraction at that part but the kids were decent enough, especially the little girl, Great natural actor there.

Solid work all around. You have a great feel for the visual aspect of the work and did some nice VFX work. See if you can combine more practical FX next time around. It will save you a bit of time in the editing and all you have to do is enhance what's already there. Means a lot more planning before hand, but it's about balance and knowing what you need to see in the end.

Good work and you;d better enter Betrayalfest. I wanna see you work with human drama and really get the delivery from your actors.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney V. Smith View Post
    ....Also the transition when the kids ran off screen was a lot clumsy. Looks like you needed something to cut to... but didn't have the one clip you needed to bring it together. That was a big distraction at that part ......
    LOLOL!!!!
    You nailed me on that one. Are you sure you weren't standing behind me when I was editing? :-)

I didn't have enough coverage on that one shot, and as you mentioned didn't have anything to cut to. I experimented with a lot of things but all felt unnatural as substitutes. Was thinking of just cutting to black for a second and then returning. If you have any ideas, fire away :-)

Thanks for your review Rodney!

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast