Updates Tommy. Updates nownownwownow

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

3. Collapse Details
    Captains Log: Day 1 & 2
    Well okay, I added some updates to our News section at the beginning
    of this thread, cast members and shooting etc., but here's the expanded version:

The weekend shoot was fantastic. I felt a little rocky on my first few setups,
    getting used to the fact that the camera has to go to the shot, not the other
    way around as it used to be in the old days before using prime lenses
    (EG., frame and zoom as needed). Our local sound mixer from DVXuser
    Alan Chang was on set, so that's the first time I've use a sound man.
    I always set a fixed boom in the past. So it was cool to have him on
    crew and one less thing for me to focus on.

Day 1:
    great talent! I spent a lot of time casting and it paid off in the shoot. All
    the actors were on their game and brought a lot to the table. It was
    probably a 14 hour day, and the last actress (our main role for Claire)
    stayed on late into the night when it was just dwon to me and my leadman
    Brian Shearn on crew. I decided to add some ad hoc scene to the last of the
    film which will hopefully enhance it big time. Lots of laughs, great food and
    hard work, the best elements that any production could hope for :-)

DAY 2:
    Shot scenes of the two kids, the realestate agent and the young mother.
    The young mother was cast by photo over the phone, because she was such a
    great match to the kids I had cast in person. She was the only wild card but turned
    out a breeze to work with and very pro. The Realestate agent was an actor I had
    scene in a horror film years before and have been wanting to work with Judy for some
    time.

THE KIDS!
    They were a lot of fun to work with. Mitchell and Lexi, 11 and 7, and both consummate
    professionals. Amazing, I don't know how they have that much focus
    at that age but they did. They brought an unbelievable realism to their parts and
    were fun to work with. I started with them and shot out of sequence to make sure
    their energy levels were still up and strong. We needed to come back to them many hours
    later and they were still focused and ready to go. We finished off the day with a late
    family style lunch my wife had catered of Teriyaki chicken and Smoked salmon
    orzo salad. YUM!

GEAR:
    Much of this is new gear and I'm still getting a feel for it.
    I still haven't been able to adjust the flange on the RedRock M2,
    so infinity focus is still not working correctly, so wide shots were a problem.
    The new smallHD monitor was fantastic, vibrant and clear. I was using the
    Omni-tracker Dolly on a custom made platform with adjustable legs so I could
    go from 24 in to 5' in a snap. I really love it the more I get used to it and would
    recommend it to any friends looking for an alternative style dolly in an instant.

INVOCATION is very drama/dialog driven, so while all the shots aren't going
    to be breathtaking, they suit the story strongly, and support the believability of the
    possibility that this could really happen to someone. And perhaps the dark side
    is just past the surface of our conscious, waiting to emerge if given the chance..

SFX
    I did a lot of preplanning for the special effects plates for this film, and while I won't
    know how precise they sync until I start adding the SFX, I think we will have a nice mesh.
    If there is anything I need to reshoot for the SFX plates, the location is still available to
    me day or night.

So you asked for an update.. and there it is :-)
    More to come soon....

4. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Nicely done. Congrats. Now: grabs please!

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

5. Collapse Details

reading...

6. Collapse Details
    Got a hold of my music director today and he's interested. Actually, he's very excited about this kind of thing. He asked about compensation because he have to schedule this on top of all the other events that are happening in the next coming months.

I also told him about our fallback plan of recording your mother's choir. He was happy that there are now 2 groups of choir to work with. So give me a holla.

7. Collapse Details
    EQUIPS:
    Just so everyone knows, used a couple of Schoeps CMC641, an SD302, and a SD744T. Brought more than enough. Didn't bring out the wireless because there was no need for them. Just from reading the screenplay, it looked like I had to cover lots of people at the same time. Turned out diff. than what I had expected.

DAY 1:
    My allergy kicked in bad when nightfall came. So I had to leave at around 10PM to get home in time for my rest. Church the next early morning. Tommy and Brian, you guys ROCK! I also called DVXUser Huy Vu to drop by since he was around the area. Great team effort.

DAY 2:
    Right after church, I drove like a madman to set. After arriving, I was delighted to actually see the kids there. Short stuff happening here and there. Finally the family food. Those Teriyaki Chicken were the best I've ever had in my life. Yes, I do eat a lot of teriyaki chicken from all kinds of restaurants and these are just unbelieveably delicious! Ohhhhh, the smoked salmon orzo salad. Words can't describe, only tastebuds can.

8. Collapse Details
    You are lucky with the kids. They are hit or miss. In rehearsals, they look and sound great but once they are on location with lights, camera, action... they don't give you the same. Great news!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketboy View Post
    You are lucky with the kids. They are hit or miss. In rehearsals, they look and sound great but once they are on location with lights, camera, action... they don't give you the same. Great news!
    Yes, you're right. Their part in my film is critical, so I was blessed with a good performance from them. Plus, since they are a brother sister acting team, they had great rapport.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H. Chang View Post
    Got a hold of my music director today and he's interested. Actually, he's very excited about this kind of thing. He asked about compensation because he have to schedule this on top of all the other events that are happening in the next coming months.

I also told him about our fallback plan of recording your mother's choir. He was happy that there are now 2 groups of choir to work with. So give me a holla.
    Oooh, the cat is out of the bag. Okay Alan, sounds cool. I'm stretched budget-wise now, but I'll see what I can come up with. The score I'm writing needs a big choir to pull off the sound I want.

PS, Listening to the sound files off the FTP server of the mixing you did on set, nice quality and notes my friend!

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast