Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GH1 vs Red One vs Canon 5D Mk II footage comparison shoot out!
    Here's a GH1 vs Red One vs Canon 5D Mk II footage comparison shoot out. The Footage was shot by Byron Shah, Jason Ensler and crew, and was shown at Birns and Sawyer. Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/5981422

There's also a 1080P version you can download on the Vimeo page...

Michael Pappas
    http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
    Anamorphic DSLR Lens Test Images... links:
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...9&postcount=97
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...5&postcount=84
    Facebook & Myspace:
    http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Pappas/573417404
    http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
    Arrfilms@hotmail.com
    http://www.PappasArts.com
    Last edited by PappasArts; 08-07-2009 at 09:06 PM.

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not going to make any sweeping statements on a one time watch from the online footage, but I will say it is impressive.

I would love to take that footage and do some split screens with some of the similar shots form each camera. Also would like to see it on large lcd or plasma.

I have the Gh1 and 5D Mark II and am think I can get them to match up color wise pretty well. With all the picture controls, also think I can shots that will go match up pretty decently.

Red is out of my price range for now, but who knows. My real hope is that the next gen 35mm dslr's are improved with more film/video features. I"d be pretty happy with longer recording time, less aliasing, less jello, 24p, 25p, HDMI, and a fold out lcd screen. If Canon, NIkon, or whomever can give us an upscale Camera with a little less compression or HDMI off the chip, I'd be happy for many years to come.

If Jello is a by product of this technology, I'd probably even live with that as you can now work it a tad in deshaker and other software programs. They will only get better as they work their software magic.

Back to 3 camera comparison. If someone showed me that clip and said, this is a comparison between 3 cameras that cost x, 2x, and 20X, I'd say no way.

Probably one of the more interesting pieces I've seen in a while.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jfro View Post
    If someone showed me that clip and said, this is a comparison between 3 cameras that cost x, 2x, and 20X, I'd say no way.
    Indeed.

The next year or so is going to be a very interesting time to be a camera geek.

ian
    My Equipment?

DVX100b x2
    Manfrotto 028 Tripod x2
    Manfrotto 501 Head x2
    Manfrotto 558b Monopod
    Varizoom VZROCK PZFI Zoom x2
    GH1 w' kit lens
    rainbowimaging Canon FD to m4/3 adapter
    Canon FD lenses, 50mm 1.4; 28mm 2.8, 135mm 2.8, 35mm 3.5(doh!)
    Fader ND
    Cokin P-series holder
    NO Cokin ND filters heh

4. Collapse Details
    This is incredible to me that we are having shoot outs between 20,000 dollar cameras and 1,500 dollar cameras. Interesting times my friends.

5. Collapse Details
    Ive seen the GH1 on big screen - at the DVXfest to be exact, no doubt this camera does a great job when used correctly, Solomons GH1 images, moving and still are some of the better ones youll find.

It's utterly impossible to compare a GH1 with a Red however on a vimeo clip. It defies logic. Says red 3k, well thats the origination format, but you can dl a 1080p version? So what, its 3k origination not 1080. If you want to compare Apples to Apples you would need to do it at 3k, which isnt possible anyway.

Hell, I scored a Pentax k7, and without all the juicy controls of the GH1, it still shoot great pictures that look fantastic on my Bravia - which tells me they'd be awesome on a large screen, and the purpose of this post is not to say the GH1 isnt any good, its to say this comparison is daft and unnecessary. GH1 is GREAT, thats all you need to now. And its not a RED and doesnt need to be.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

6. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    To be fair, not much is mastered beyond 2K. The RED footage is Pre Build 20 and Color Science and doesn't look like it's been treated at all.

The other two really don't stand a chance against RED when RED is posted properly, however, the GH-1 looks quite cinematic to me.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

7. Collapse Details
    It's great to see this comparison, and makes me feel darn lucky to have such an amazing cam for the money. (Yes the GH1 )

Upon pixel peeping inspection, it looks like they converted the 5D to 24fps. You can definitely see the banding and vertical lines in the GH1, and not just because of the web compression, I'm guessing, because it looks to be less with the Red and 5D.

Yes, Noel, it's not exactly a fair comparison, but for web delivery, or even projected, as you've seen, it holds up pretty darn well against a lot of other big $$$$ options.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    It's utterly impossible to compare a GH1 with a Red however on a vimeo clip. It defies logic. Says red 3k, well thats the origination format, but you can dl a 1080p version? So what, its 3k origination not 1080. If you want to compare Apples to Apples you would need to do it at 3k, which isnt possible anyway.
    I'm a little confused as to what you mean by this but I think you're saying you need to look at the footage at its native resolution?

I'd say it doesn't matter what the source format is, what matters is how the footage holds up on delivery which is at best going to be 2K digital projection, maybe film-out if you're lucky and most likely, DVD / BLuRay / On Demand.

I agree that looking at Vimeo videos isn't ideal but I'd say it's a close approximation of bluray and easily representative of DVD.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

9. Collapse Details
    Even though I own a Red One, if someone comes up with a camera system that costs a buck and a quarter and blows Red out of the water, great! Another tool for the masses!!

I think that the democratization of cinema that keeps quality high and price low can only be a good thing. Let the pencils cost next to nothing so everyone can have one and then let's see who can actually draw!

10. Collapse Details
    I am glad to see other RED customers thinking the same. I had posted the link @ reduser.net but the forum is still invariably silent. In fact, these small standalone former still photo cameras have been a true revolution. If my guess is not short, also reason enough for the current delay on the new RED cameras. Or at least, chance for the subject to change policy practice. Jim Jannard is too smart for being stopped by external moves, revolutionary movements or not. Although, the task is not easy, who else?
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast