Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HPX300 in use - Behind The Scenes videos
    Hi, everyone! I've been using the 300 quite a bit since I got it and finally got to use it on a fun project: a TV spot for a local film festival. The premise is a guy running through several genres of movies to promote the film festival's 36 hour film race. Part of the spot requires a zombie horror scene and a Vietnam War action sequence.

The link below will take you to my blog with the videos. The video about the horror shows the 300 in use as I give timing cues to a female zombie and undercranking a hand-held "hero approach" shot ala Evil Dead. There's more info in the blog post, but feel free to ask away right here with any questions.

The point is: the Panasonic 300 is taking a LOT of abuse (I finished a beach shoot with it yesterday) and it works flawlessly (as flawless as the 300 can be) and I like it very much.

http://jasonrjohnston.wordpress.com/...-cinesol-2009/
    Last edited by JRJphoto; 04-11-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: updated broken link
    Jason R. Johnston
    Cinematographer Videographer Photographer

web: jasonrjohnston.com
    instagram: jasonrjohnston

2. Collapse Details
    hi JRJ. nice link.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, though I'm a little surprised more people aren't interested.
    Jason R. Johnston

4. Collapse Details
    I'd love to see the finished shots in HD !

Looks like a fun project .. zombies are always a good
    shoot ;-)

jeff

5. Collapse Details
    I enjoyed the link. I am considering purchasing a 300. Sounds like you really like the camera! Any issues?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
    Looks like a fun project .. zombies are always a good shoot
    We weren't planning on a bunch of zombies, other than the girl that attacks our hero. But, at the location there was an actual teenage girl slumber party happening and some of the girls volunteered to be made up. I did the makeup and had no idea what I was doing! It was a lot of fun!

I'll put the finished 60 second Director's Cut of the spot online in HD as soon as it airs.
    Jason R. Johnston

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Sounds like you really like the camera! Any issues?
    None so far, other than what has already been discussed about the camera (rolling shutter and all that). As it is, I'm not zoomed in enough for that to happen, and I upgrade firmware religiously so there's been no banding issues or anything like that. The 300 is an awesome, very efficient camera, that when used properly will give you some great images without busting your wallet.

I come from much heavier full-size cameras so the lightness of the 300 is fantastic. My Zacuto rod support mount just arrived and I'm looking forward to the added weight brought on by the mattebox. Weight=stability, as we all know. And since I have a belly, I can balance the 300 quite well for shots that need a dutch tilt, as the video shows.

Compatibility with the R-series and new E-series P2 cards is exceptional; again I'm keeping the firmware up-to-date.

The full rig has shot hand-held war footage and been used on the beach in a matter of hours without complaining. Sand is everywhere and the seawater gummed up the rubber but the camera works fine and the rubber seals work splendidly. It's putting up with pro abuse very, very well.

The Fuji lens performs well in the field. Manual controls are exactly what they should be. Feels familiar in my hands. Easy to adjust quickly in the field while "under fire".

Even with the LCD out 99% of the time, the 300 sips on Dionic batteries very efficiently.

If I had a complaint, I'd think that the weight of the full rig might not be heavy enough for dolly shots on DIY dollies without an operator riding with, but that's what sandbags are for.

I bet the 300 works awesome on a Steadicam. I'm going to find that out pretty soon.
    Jason R. Johnston

8. Collapse Details
    Jason, thanks for the info! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed working with the camera and that it handles being appropriately abused. I shoot natural history and wildlife /environmental field research docs, here in SE Alaska. A major concern that I have is how the 300 would hold up to working in the field under less than ideal weather conditions. Sounds like with the proper weather mitigating gear, it would work just fine. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. It was most helpful!

Doc

9. Collapse Details
    Hey,

You shoot 1080 or 720?

Thanks,
    Robert

10. Collapse Details
    Finally took time to see them. The only problem shot was the right to left pan in the zombie segment. RS was very evident. Other than that, excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast