Thread: The Tell

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
  1. Collapse Details
    Devon and Dan, a decent combo at work here.

This film is innovative and its twist musical element certainly caught me off guard. The setup for the conversation between our two tough looking gentleman (and the excellent story of the devils bloood) - if i recall that right! Certainly has you expecting something other than a musical!

Now this was shot professionally, performed admirably, and directed with confidence.

Everything comes together, and as an artistic work i feel this is leaps and bounds beyond the last entry (an admirable and rightly deserved winner of best newcomer last festival. G-Tarts.)

My only concern, is that is this film still lacking a genuine intellectual curiousity on the part of the director. That is - was the novel idea for this film something that came out of a sit down chat of 'cool ideas that we should try' rather than - wow thats a story!!!! A GREAT STORY!

This is where i feel you guys are doing yourselves a slight injustice. Because you are impressive in so many quarters. But impressing filmmakers on a forum is one thing. I'd like to encourage a combination of the pursuit of innovative ideas clearly on display here, with your technical and artistic competence, but this time combined with something trully ambitious - in the artistic intellectual realm. Not necessarily an art film, but a film showing off something deeper.

well done gentlemen.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Devon and Dan, a decent combo at work here.

This film is innovative and its twist musical element certainly caught me off guard. The setup for the conversation between our two tough looking gentleman (and the excellent story of the devils bloood) - if i recall that right! Certainly has you expecting something other than a musical!

Now this was shot professionally, performed admirably, and directed with confidence.

Everything comes together, and as an artistic work i feel this is leaps and bounds beyond the last entry (an admirable and rightly deserved winner of best newcomer last festival. G-Tarts.)

My only concern, is that is this film still lacking a genuine intellectual curiousity on the part of the director. That is - was the novel idea for this film something that came out of a sit down chat of 'cool ideas that we should try' rather than - wow thats a story!!!! A GREAT STORY!

This is where i feel you guys are doing yourselves a slight injustice. Because you are impressive in so many quarters. But impressing filmmakers on a forum is one thing. I'd like to encourage a combination of the pursuit of innovative ideas clearly on display here, with your technical and artistic competence, but this time combined with something trully ambitious - in the artistic intellectual realm. Not necessarily an art film, but a film showing off something deeper.

well done gentlemen.
    Well thought out review - we appreciate the time it takes to provide reviews and are still finishing ours. Thank you for both the things you liked and the points regarding our artistic versus technical approach. These shorts are always a challenge to create something we are going to have fun shooting as well as actually shoot it and post it in time. We try and promise everyone involved that if they are going to help, we will actually finish it so they have something for their efforts. That means that we keep these shorts to a scope that is doable within these constraints.

These fests are a blast and the community is what makes the work worth it.

3. Collapse Details
    Yep, in reference to the artistic versus technical approach you cite, id suggest just an adjustment, if not only because the technical competence is already proven, already exciting, and you have a saavy idea for what feels marketable and popular.

Something dangerous with the skills you chaps are showcasing would blow folks away I reckon. This was nevertheless, like G-tarts last time, in my top selection.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Yep, in reference to the artistic versus technical approach you cite, id suggest just an adjustment, if not only because the technical competence is already proven, already exciting, and you have a saavy idea for what feels marketable and popular.

Something dangerous with the skills you chaps are showcasing would blow folks away I reckon. This was nevertheless, like G-tarts last time, in my top selection.
    Are you going to put together the audio reviews again? We really got a kick out of the Quest Fest reviews.

5. Collapse Details
    Hi there - well im basically going to do a video of my own top 8 recommendations like last time (it will be bizarre in a different way!) that will feature a bit more review-esque-entertainment than feedback in style. However that will naturally be posted only after voting is completed. But i'm sure you'll be included ;)

I don't think its online now, but the scriptfest was among the most ridiculous audio feedbacks i did (i read back all the scripts entered with comments and ridiculous performances as every character in every script.) Oh gosh!

6. Collapse Details
    What an amazing fest! Some truly great shorts surfaced and we are proud to have been finalists. Obviously, we play to win, but with the caliber of films 5th place is pretty cool.

7. Collapse Details
    Congrats guys! Solid entry. Kudos on the placement.

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

8. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    In addition to reviewing the winners, BC at HORROR MOVIE A DAY couldn't resist giving you guys kudos for your originality as well.

Congrats. LINK IN SIG.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniel Stanley View Post
    In addition to reviewing the winners, BC at HORROR MOVIE A DAY couldn't resist giving you guys kudos for your originality as well.

Congrats. LINK IN SIG.
    Wow - very cool of him. We look forward to Betrayal - we'll be there

10. Collapse Details
    Just wanted to stop back by and say what a great short this was. It was definitely a bold step (and in the right direction, I might say) to go with a musical. It wasn't going to resonate with everyone but with those that got it, it hit big time. As I said in my earlier post, I don't like musicals...if I saw more like this one, I might change my mind. This received one of my very highest scores. It was one of my top three. Great job!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920