Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stan,

I understand what you are saying and have those same concerns. Its just that I don't feel that anything I am working on right now is worthy of people other than friends on the cast and crew. The film I am working on now I am hoping to show in my University's theatre. Probably off of a laptop as I have no way to transfer the digital files to film for the projector. Its just my first film and i've never really done anything like it but I want it to be great all at the same time. I've built my own crane, dolly and now working on my own 35mm adapter. I'm working with an HV30 with a wide angle and an xlr preamp with a $200 AT condensor with a paint pole boom pole with a set of head phones.

Well I dunno.. How did you guys do it when you first started off?

Quote Originally Posted by Huy Vu View Post
    Just bought it from Amazon for $.01, will give it a read.
    You got the last $0.01 one!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post

You got the last $0.01 one!
    There's quite a few more actually

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

3. Collapse Details
    ha there they are!

didn't see it.

thanks!!

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Terry...I don't want to harp on it...I sincerely admire your energy, but to answer your question, I got the very best cast I could for my first film because the actors bring something to the artistic process...that was my point...if you deny yourself any other part of the artistic process, then you limit how much you will learn...the actors will teach you something...if the are legitimately good. You need to be able to recognize a good actor though. My first film won best screenplay, best actress and best in show...nothing for anything technical...it was a SAG feature shot for under 5000 and beat out a $2mill film with Eric Roberts for top honors...the content is the most important thing and the content is limited when a script is being interpreted by untrained artists. God help you if the script is challenged too...the content requires just as much dedication if not more than you are pouring into the equipment ...I didn't even have a dolly.

5. Collapse Details
    You say you're in school, does your school have a theater or performing arts department? Do you have any friends in the program? Friends of friends? If you don't you probably should start making some.

The Majority of the cast for the Majority of the films I've worked on have been friends, but they've also been actors. Someone whose personality fits that part and has at least dabbled in acting is a good bet.
    "Without the Chaos, there would be no happy accidents"

6. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    A "real person" who can be exactly themselves, can work.

A "real person" who's trying to act? That's a full-fledged disaster. You need an actor for that.

There was a book, I can't remember the author's name, but he was a reporter or something and he'd read all about Rodriguez' $7,000 movie and he set out to make an even cheaper film. He failed, his cost about $30,000 IIRC and it didn't go anywhere, but what I remember most was how upset he'd get whenever "acting" would break out on his set. He wanted the folks to be themselves, not to try to "act"!

But a real actor, man, that's worth gold. Which is why the top actors get so much gold...
    Hmmm.....maybe I need to write a book. Because I just made a feature-length movie -- 'Tangled Web' -- for just over $1,000.

As for the subject of this thread, never assume you can't get 'real' actors interested. Always try. I've made 3 shorts and 2 features -- all on miniscule budgets. Every one of them had 'real' actors. Good ones. All of them worked on deferred pay and paid their own travel expenses, with some coming from as far as 3,000 miles away.

Inexperienced actors can ruin a good script. Good actors can overcome a weak script. Always hire the best, most talented, best trained and most experienced person you can afford for every job on your production. And don't assume 'real' talent won't be willing to work on your film.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

7. Collapse Details
    Terry, as someone who works on both sides of the camera, right and left, no wait, I mean in front and behind, I noticed something in your original post. You said you were going to be filling a lot of the production roles yourself. Why? The same approach you are being advised on getting actors, is nearly the same approach to getting behind the camera talent.

I know it would be an amazing feat to be able to do all of it yourself, but there are lots of talented people that would be willing to help, if you have a good product. There are many talented technicians, ops, production staff, out there that are trying to build up their reel and would do the job for copy/credit.

Don't sell yourself short, but on the otherhand, don't think you can do it all yourself, either. Something will end up giving out. You or the production.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread of "Actors for low budget films".

I audition for/take on roles for free still. I love the indie film venue. Especially if it is a role I know or feel I can handle (action/stunts/etc.). Just recently, I was "blown up" in an Indie film, both for real and in the storyline (long painful story). Acting is a passion I have, and I am good (that's not conceit, folks, just knowing my abilities). But am I the next Matt Damon or Tom Hanks? I hope so, but the odds say "no". Would I like to get paid (really paid) for it, sure, but that's not going to happen anytime soon or at least regularly. So, in that "copy/credit" situation, we (the director and myself) have a more intimate relationship, I want primo footage for my reel, you want a stellar performance. I know, I am going to give everything for you, and I hope you will do the same for me. It's a win-win for both of us.

Though I have had situation where I give an amazing torture/beating scene, where I am the victim, but the final footage/editing left a lot to be desired. I am disappointed with what happened. I had a lot of hopes for that footage. So, what I said above is really important, from the actor's standpoint. Get good help.
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 08-14-2009 at 10:38 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Terry

For the sake of argument....I, and many others like me have done feature film and indie and more than once...a 1st time student film. I have worked for free to help a new film maker out and I am not the only one.

We do it for many reasons....

1) most of us started with indie or working for free to build our resume and it is a way to give back and mentor!

2) who knows...maybe once the new film person gets beyond thinking they are an Island unto themselves they may turn in to the next Rodriguez or Spielberg.

3) indie and student projects often give an actor a chance to play roles they don't normally get cast in (i.e. Jack Daniel Stanley casting me as a victim when I normally played nothing but hard edge roles...and dag nab it he got the best out of me too)

So...even though you might think the project is not worthy of real actors...you might want to remember that the project is worth more than non-actors who might goof it up. Maybe you get lucky and it works out without actors but I really think you are underestimating trained actors...or maybe it is over estimating them really. not sure...
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

9. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bernard View Post
    but the final footage/editing left a lot to be desired. I am disappointed with what happened. I had a lot of hopes for that footage.
    doc...i had one of those...did an indie film where i was the female lead and very excited to get the footage. problem was...the leading man was not a strong actor. i had my dailies and they looked really good with only a few bad takes. when the project was edited...they used all my bad takes.

i was like...say what? but in the long run...i think they did it so the guy would not look too weak since all my scenes were with him.

oh well...still don't use that footage on any reel because of it!
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

10. Collapse Details
    Me too, I was slated as a lead in the film, which made me feel pretty good. I gave the performance of my life, being a torture victim and in the end, killing the antagonist in spite of the torture (cutting off a finger and a thumb, and I advised how to do it. I am already missing those digits, so the trick was to make everyone assume I had them already). I was exhausted leaving the set that day, practically crawled to the car. I think, without the greenscreen complexity, it would have turned out decent. But it was what it was, and though disappointed, I learned a new aspect of myself as an actor, pain/terror that turns to stoicism. In that alone, I consider my experience on that set of value, as this was a direction I wasn't expecting, and had to "ad-lib". Defiant blood spews onto the camera, primal pain, etc.

Exact what I planned as to the reel, unfortunately. Lesson learned on that one. It was a green screen job, and he said he was very versed in it, and worked at a VFX house. Took it on trust, but the end result left much to be desired. Even I could have improved the result with what I know, but at that point, why bother? He would have been insulted, and I would of spent way more on time this than needed. And diluted my credit.

But overall, I learned and gained some needed experience, so not exactly a loss in my book.

Terry, see what Michelle and I are talking about? As actors, we look at the final result. We give you what we think you are asking for and are directed to do. Then we wait for the result of what we give you. We give what you want, and wait for the final cut. It is a give and take situation. We give 100% or more, and expect the same from the production staff. And if we give what is expected, and if the final result is, well, less than expected, as actors, WE are disappointed, as we gave all, and the production didn't live up to it's end/expectations.

Which is another reason to bring in more behind the camera talent. You alone doing Lighting, Props, Make-up, Sound, Production, Castng, SFX, VFX, GE Dept., Script Sup., etc., is not going to make your film good, it will make it an exercise in futility, and unfortunately develop you a rep as a "flake" or as a "hack". You will will quickly learn you cannot do it all and make a good product. Find people willing to help! For God's sake, swallow some pride and post on a free site such as craig's list or mandy. Having your name plastered on every credit out there will not assist you in the creation of your project. More than likely it will hinder you. Hell, I have worked on projects where I can be listed in 5-7 different credits, and my advice to the EP, give me the the top two, and make up fake names for the rest, I'll know they are my credits..

I realize, I might sound rough or crass, and I have been accused of that in the past on another site, but my intentions are purely genuine, I have nothing to gain here. My goal, if I can assist in a small way, is to put the Major Motion Picture Industry on its ear. If it takes me giving away my tricks, secrets, and intuition, then what little I have to offer is yours.

But without asking, I have no idea ( and I think many of feel the same way) what you want to know. Acting is the same way cam ops are, at least in my way of thinking. It's somewhat instinct, and somewhat technique.
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 08-15-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast