Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Very true. Without online forums I would not be where I am now. I have been over in Dvinfo.net for a couple years now and they have helped me tremendiously. I am about to graduate with a BA in anthropology and have accumulated quite a collection of books but lately my collection of film books are begining to rival it. I can honestly credit everything I know about film to online forums.

2. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    I see others have covered this for the most part but I wanted to echo that using people not trained to act for camera can end up taking much longer than it should. You might get lucky and find a rare gem but even if you do...things like continuity will be harder for a novice and could double or triple your time on set and in post.

Not saying you should not do it...but go in to it knowing this could be a problem.
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

3. Collapse Details
    I was going to let this go Terry because I love passion and you certainly seem to have it...I admire the desire to get something done regardless....but I will add this one thing as I believe it will service you...if not now then maybe it will hit you later...There are many filmmakers that think they know all it takes to make entertainment...Just give me the actors and a script and I can make it work. You really are cheating yourself if you think so little of the writer and the actor...this is a collaborative art and the magic happens when you put those three elements together and you tussle and inspire each other ove rthe product...The actor is an artist as much as the writer and the filmmaker and if you take one or more pieces out of the equation then you are stunting your growth...There is a way to use experienced trained actors and I just feel you should just give it some more thought...Beware of the filmmaker that has used bad actors too because he will tell you it makes no difference...this is why you need to educate yourself in all facets. Si you can identify talent...the content is everything and the content comes from the material and the performers...the method of capturing this content is only a part of it...

Just my 2 cents (again)

Best,
    Stan Harrington

4. Collapse Details
    Another observation when breaking up the equation by using untrained 'actors' is either (forgive me Bela) Plan 9 From Outer Space or Reality TV......

5. Collapse Details
    A "real person" who can be exactly themselves, can work.

A "real person" who's trying to act? That's a full-fledged disaster. You need an actor for that.

There was a book, I can't remember the author's name, but he was a reporter or something and he'd read all about Rodriguez' $7,000 movie and he set out to make an even cheaper film. He failed, his cost about $30,000 IIRC and it didn't go anywhere, but what I remember most was how upset he'd get whenever "acting" would break out on his set. He wanted the folks to be themselves, not to try to "act"!

But a real actor, man, that's worth gold. Which is why the top actors get so much gold...

6. Collapse Details
    Barry, if you can remember the name of that book please posted back. I'd like to give it a read.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

7. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Ditto everything Stan, Dad and Barry said!!!!!

Guys..you put it very well!!
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

8. Collapse Details
    Barry could be referring to this book by Joe Queenan: http://www.amazon.com/Unkindest-Cut-...0014944&sr=8-1
    Haven't seen anything by JQ for some time. He was on a roll in the 90's. Very funny.

9. Collapse Details
    YES! That was exactly the book. Thanks, Paul!

10. Collapse Details
    Just bought it from Amazon for $.01, will give it a read.
    "Local studio seeking young female actresses for short film in which they definitely will NOT be killed. Lack of identifying scars, dental records, or concerned family a plus. Payment to be discussed after shooting...uh...filming."

www.hiddendreamsmedia.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast