Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I'm not a Survivor fan so I can't really comment on this as a spoof but there was quite a bit of humor in there that I really enjoyed, although for some reason this particular festival is overdoing poo themes.

I liked the way you used mutiple camera angles and I thought the sound design and music especially was excellent. Acting was good, and I'm always impressed by the variety of ideas that come out these festivals. Nice job!
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the special prize Puck!

I appreciate the comments everyone, and I also realize this is a big departure from previous works.

A few notes about the production

• We had a very funny script from Chris and ended up ignoring most of it due to lack of preparation and experimenting on set.
    • The whole thing was shot in just over 6 hours, shooting 3 cameras at once as much as possible. (LOVED THAT)
    • Most scenes were done in one take, or sometimes two.
    • The cut I prefer and the one we made the 6 min ver from is 13.5 minutes.
    • There's easily enough footage to make a 25 minute version.
    • Kevin improvised about 98% of it, using some of the situations from the script.
    • Obviously, no lights were used, and we stuck a wireless mic on Kevin and that was it.
    • The post production was done in two days- a real hurry-up job.

After finishing, I was quite happy with it, until people (other than those of us involved) actually SAW it and the response was less than enthusiastic- way less. I realized somewhere along the way I became delusional as to how good (or bad) it really was, I think mostly due to the fact that it was a lot of fun to make.

Kevin did an outstanding job, and really took it all the way. Applause to him for bringing it. He was a little wary before the shoot, so i said, "let's just go there and do a 'test' shoot. That test shoot is what you see.

In conclusion- This proves, yet again, that with poor planning, little thought, and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants shooting, editing, and post production, you end up with a mediocre product. As if I needed to learn that lesson again! Next time you see anything from me, it will be better, I promise.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Joy View Post
    In conclusion- This proves, yet again, that with poor planning, little thought, and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants shooting, editing, and post production, you end up with a mediocre product.
    I don't agree with you here Tim. I think that all-in-all, you ended up with a pretty decent product. It's got some problems, sure, but on the whole I think it's pretty decent. There's more than one way to make a movie as I've learned in this fest. You can plan it all out to the smallest detail or you skip all that and grab your camera and GO! Neither is wrong.
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

4. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John LaBonney View Post
    I don't agree with you here Tim. I think that all-in-all, you ended up with a pretty decent product. It's got some problems, sure, but on the whole I think it's pretty decent. There's more than one way to make a movie as I've learned in this fest. You can plan it all out to the smallest detail or you skip all that and grab your camera and GO! Neither is wrong.
    Both methods are fine, but planning and putting extra time into the production will almost always result in a better film. I learned this by entering my first 48 hour Fest with "Ronald" with no crew. I usually don't have one but I can cover that up by spending extra time setting up shots and doing multiple takes when time is on my side.

While a blast to make it doesn't stand up to some of my previous work so I get what Tim is saying.

Tim, I did have a lot of fun with this entry but I was surprised to see that it was from you after seeing a lot of your previous work. It's like two different people made these films when compared to your last entry.

What I do love is that you tried something completely different. I like that about you and your work. I'm also glad that you decided to share it with us.

I know that you will knock our socks off again very shortly.

Cheers,

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

5. Collapse Details
    Hey John and Michael- Thanks for your positive support and encouragement. It means a lot to me, and keeps me going.

6. Collapse Details
    i dont like survivor so any spoof on that show is good by me! a cooked rat.... sheesh, and an almond joy, ugh! well shot movie, and clean sound too. not bad at all for running and gunning. cant wait to see your next film!

7. Collapse Details
    Hey Good Effort ... personally i don't like survivors documentaries ... so it was a bit hard to accept ... but it had some pretty good / sick humor ... will watch the next installment ...

8. Collapse Details
    You definitely had the shooting/camerawork/editing style of these shows down. If you say it was a last minute thrown together piece, I say fine but it still works for what it was intended to be and that was a humorous light-hearted film. I had some chuckles, and cinged at the water scene. Nice work.

9. Collapse Details
    Fun show! I don't think you can have too much poo in a fest like this.

10. Collapse Details
    For trying to be a reality/documentary piece, it worked out pretty well. I saw someplace that you threw this together quickly, as last minute, and in some respects it shows ... but I feel you TRIED to do something that was just fun and campy, and to that you succeeded. You also got a major laugh & gag factor of course at the toilet scene. NASTY, but the prize moment of the film!

I also liked at the end how he lost the Steve Irwin voice, and we end on his natural voice. Well done.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast