1. Collapse Details
    Haunted House Fest
    Haunted House Fest - Matte Painting.
    Duration: June 30 to August 17, 2009

Convert a photograph of a regular house into a haunted house using various 2D and 3D matte painting techniques.

This is strictly a static plate requirement from a fictitious client. No characters and no animations. The fictitious client will do further compositing including adding in actors.

A brief visual breakdown in video form is required depicting various stages of painting/compositing. While 1 minute is available, 10 to 15 seconds should be plenty for the breakdown.

Rules. Please read carefully.

* You may enter up to three entries as the primary submitter. There is no limitation to how many entries you may work on.

* Entries must lead with a CGIFest 2 Winner bumper (to be provided).

* Entries for viewing and rating must be provided as an h.264 compressed file (either .mov or .mp4), in a DV or lower resolution
    with a 16x9 aspect ratio (720x404, 640x360, etc.), and a maximum file size of 10 MB.

* All entries must be made between the posted dates and must not have been publicly screened prior to the end of voting. Uploading details will be provided. Rating is limited to members with a minimum of 50 posts on the site and primary entrants regardless of post count.

* Outside promotion is allowed but is visually limited to still grabs and Behind the Scenes footage. No footage of the actual entry may be posted elsewhere until fest voting is over.
    In the event someone wishes to animate their plate with characters or props, video pans using photogrammetry or projection/camera mapping, then that video will be allowed for promotion prior to voting.

However the actual video with breakdown , this fest entry, is restricted to dvxuser viewing and voting until after voting closes. The breakdown must not appear in any promotion prior to that.

* You may include stock footage and music and prebuilt 2D/3D assests like models and stages however no copyright violations. Licensed or royalty-free music, images, and assets only.

* Content must be “R” rated or lower.

* All entrants agree to grant DVXuser.com and its agents non-exclusive rights for their films to appear on a DVD or for DVXuser-sanctioned public screenings.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 08-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

2. Collapse Details
    I won't be providing pictures for you to use, you’ll have to locate your own however here’s some links for ideas to get you started.

stock.xchng has a few I found. Check the model release provided for each photo. I found most allow usage for these types of things.
    Type these numbers in the sxc.hu search bar to see a few I came across...
    1144010_41870773
    1084169_74134733
    1139694_43088113
    1163184_67488722
    1181967_14722936
    1191049_33814857

Victorian houses look the best imo but a good castle or other may work.
    Type search names like Victorian, house, castle, chateau, window, door, gargoyle, sky, tree, statues, head stones. You’ll probably want some old barns for wood textures and maybe some grave stones, ect.

Some googles...

houses

deviant art houses

deviant art horror (grave stones, ect)

victorian_house_porch_8

vfiles11341

ideal_victorian_house_op_800x600

081308_weller

victorian_house_hires

huge_88_443540

img_1589_edited-1

Here's a good PhotoShop Haunted House Tutorial.

And finally here's a few good examples of matte paintings used in films.

Dvxuser's Postmaster short Unzeit]
    mattepaintinguk
    matteworld, includes before/after shots.
    mattepainting.org
    Last edited by Gord.T; 06-30-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

3. Collapse Details
    Extended to Aug 17.

Alright, listen up. We have another 10 days to wrap this fest, so smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Once we're done here I think we'll take a 3 month break and run the dvxfest leader fest around Nov-Dec.
    You can still work on those leaders now until then but we'll bring it up again about 6 weeks prior to fest closing just in case anyone forgets.

I personally want to see some epic leaders this time ( no reflection on the previous leaders, they rocked.) I mean 'Epic', like " it took me 12 weeks to render that shi* man!" kind of stuff.
    'Epic', alright?

Alright. To me, if you want your leader on the front of every dvxshort, and have the big wigs say 'who did that?' well, work on something and get it in. Render off that big dog. Smoke us all. I can't break anyones arms to try this stuff but think about it and try it. It's for a good cause.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 08-07-2009 at 10:56 AM.