Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SDHC cards for GH1 (where to buy)
    Hey everyone,
    I'm just trying to find a place that sells affordable, brand name class 6 sdhc cards for the GH1. Any thoughts? I'd like to get Sandisk or Kingston, but I haven't been able to find any info on whether or not the two aforementioned companies are making Classs 6 SDHC cards larger than 8gb. Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    When I'm notified my camera has shipped, which should be next monday, I will be swinging by Costco and picking up a few Sandisk 4gb cards.

3. Collapse Details
    You may not need a Class-6 card. Check out this thread:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=175358

I just bought a "3-pack" of SanDisk Ultra II 16GB cards. These are the Class-4 cards tested in the thread. If you are taking still photos, a 4GB or even a 2GB card is probably enough. But video, especially MJPEG, takes a lot of gigs. A 4GB card will give you about 16 minutes of top resolution MJPEG or 30 minutes of AVCHD top resolution. Note that the MJPEG has a maximum of 2GB per file. So you would need to take two or more videos to fill a 4GB card. The "3-pack" cost about $200 which is a lot. But there is currently a rebate of $90 for three cards from SanDisk. The catch is the purchase must be made by the 27th and the rebate postmarked by July 14th. So my net sost is less than $40 per 16GB card.

Now if my GH1 would just get here...

4. Collapse Details
    Class 4 cards (I use Sandisk Ultra II) work fine for all AVCHD video modes. I've tested them with the highest quality MJPEG as well but only for short videos. I think class 6 cards are only needed for MJPEG because the class 4 cards are right on the edge of what MJPEG needs as far as speed. For everything else, class 4 cards are fine.

Mike

5. Collapse Details
    RS-Colo, where did you buy your SanDisk cards from in order to get that deal? It's a good one!

6. Collapse Details
    I'm the one that was testing the class 4 cards as linked in the post above. Just to clarify I was using 8gig Sandisk Video HD rated at class 4. Initially when I started the thread I was testing the 1080p at 17mbps and there was no problems. Yesterday I tested 720p60 AVCHD for 1hour 30m but it was many short clips not one long contimuous clip. Again no problems.

With mpeg there is a 2gig file size limit which means your camera will stop the record by itself around the 12-15min mark (depending on the amount of contrast in your subject matter). More about this at this thread here (LINK). I have done multiple shots at this length all with the same card. No problems there either.

I can't vouch for other class 4 cards, only the ones I tested. I bought my cards here (LINK)
    Last edited by J Davis; 06-25-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

7. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I thought I had mentioned where I got them, but didn't. It was Adorama.

8. Collapse Details
    2pk Sandisk 4GB Ultra II @Costco for $20
    Just picked up a pack, there's a $9 coupon right now, $20 for a 2pk sandisk is not bad. I was going to insist on 8GB card but couldn't pass on the price. The SD card prices have gone up. I bought a Transcend 16GB class6 a while ago for $30. Now it can't be found for less than $40.

Also I will not touch any Adata card from now on. I have 3 Adata cards, two 8GB and a 4GB. They're all falling apart! The plastic "legs" around the connector are all busted. One card won't get recognized by my LX3 camera. Another the write protect tab is completely loose I had to tape it.

All Sandisk and Transcend cards are much more solid.

PS the class4 Sandisk Ultra2 works in the GH1 just fine.

9. Collapse Details
    I like the Transcend Class 6 SDHC, although the Kingston class 4 has a good price right now, both at Newegg.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wowubbzy View Post
    Also I will not touch any Adata card from now on. I have 3 Adata cards, two 8GB and a 4GB. They're all falling apart! The plastic "legs" around the connector are all busted. One card won't get recognized by my LX3 camera. Another the write protect tab is completely loose I had to tape it.
    Thats funny you saying that about A-data as a dude in another thread was shouting me down about how good they are. I have only ever used Sandisk Video HD – glad to hear your recommendations on Transcend and Untra II.

BTW - smaller cards can sometime be better. On a shoot you can use them in rotation and have someone with a laptop to copy, transcode and verify takes while you are shooting.
    Last edited by J Davis; 06-25-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast