Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SGBlade on Viper 2/3 camera in CinemaScope and full frame 35
    Senior Member Evangelos Achillopoulos's Avatar
    That's the first time ever an ISO res chart is being published with a 2/3 relay lens in a public forum like this...

Probably I'm very brave...

So yes, thats SGblade attached to a Viper with the help of my GG.relay Rev3 in a full frame 35 frame size (35mm x 14,9mm)

In CinemaScope 2,35:1 mode...

The lens used is the Zeiss ZF 50mm F2 macro. It does have a slight vignette... but is the best performing lens I have ever used...
    With the 50mm F1.4 ZF there is no vignette at all. The slight green cast on top was because I mixed fluorescent warms and tungsten lights...
    it needed a -1/2 green, sorry...

For the super 35 frame size with the 50mm lens (when GG.relay is set up for S35), I have to put the camera in 1.65 meters to have the chart in full frame.
    With this setup (FF35) the camera is in 1.16meters so its almost full frame... the almost is because I don't want to reach the limits of the ground glasses in the various adapters.
    In S35 setup (the same frame size that Letus relays and Pro35 has) the relay is shorter by 6cm... so its long because of FF35 frame size...

One obvious observation is that the frames that I have post are 4K... someone will ask how this is being done... Viper is a 1080 camera...!!

The answer is NO... the Viper has a 27.8Mpixels sensor (yes 2.5 times RED's) and in anamorphic CinemaScope mode it reaches 1400 lines resolution...

Yes... thats the resolution of RED... and yes Viper has the same resolution as RED in the CinemaScope mode...

I used this mode (high resolution CinemaScope mode) in order to show that my relay and SGblade will be easily used with Scarlet in the future...
    take in account that GG.relay is a modular relay that can exchange camera mounts...

We have the first relay/adapter combo that is future proof towards to scarlet 2/3!!!!

You can right click and download them locally to play with them and scale them to 1080 or 720 to compare with others...
    If you need the uncompressed tiff's just ask them and I will upload them...

So guys, enjoy...

Front lens at F2-8,5 and relay at F4,5

Front lens at F4 and relay at F4

Front lens at F4,5 and relay at F2-8,5

Front lens at F5-6 and relay at F2-8

And the photos of the rig...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Evangelos Achillopoulos; 06-21-2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Evangelos Achillopoulos
    CTO
    Motion FX Systems, Athens, Greece
    https://motionfx.eu/

2. Collapse Details
    looks great. man i'm drooling over those horizontal lines. Any screen grabs of the bare viper? To better gauge how the setup affects the picture quality?

Wait a minute.. is this rotor razor 2 or 1? I see the concentric lines of the spinning gg.
    thanks!

3. Collapse Details
    Actually the SGblade/GG.relay/Zeiss has more resolution than Canon Cinestyle 11x4.7 KLL-SC... the 1200 lines is the design limit for Canon...

Download both and compare the horizontal lines...

About the rotorazor I really don't know what Wayne send me... we have to ask him...

And the Canon 2/3 lens...

Evangelos Achillopoulos
    CTO

4. Collapse Details
    well the difference is clear, but i must say the relay did reduce the amount of degradation I'm used to seeing an adapter cause. If the new optics for the sgblade improves the edge to edge i'm seeing then the blade+scarlet does seem like a good option. However, I hope that's not the original rotorazor, because the resolution is really exposing the spinning grain. I'm curious to see how your fiber screen holds up.

5. Collapse Details
    I didn't adjust the spinning speed... so its at what it was set by Wayne... I probably have to increase the spinning... As of FiberScreen I'm waiting the next part...

These are some scaled 1080 images for better viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Evangelos Achillopoulos
    CTO

6. Collapse Details
    Good work, Evangelos!

The relay certainly resolves a lot of res

That is ROTOrazor 2 installed in your unit which has an F4 - F5.6 limit anyway, and I can see from the pics that the speed is set to slow.

Also, the Blade is our 'loaner' unit and has been all around the world, the RR may have some dust on it which will also show as concentric circles. Running a lens pen brush lightly over the surface of the disk while it is spinning will clean it up.

This looks very promising, Evangelos. Can't wait to see some footage!
    Thanks,
    Wayne Kinney - Managing Director - Budget Camera Gear Ltd
    ------------
    www.budgetcameragear.com

7. Collapse Details
    sigh ....

8. Collapse Details
    Haha, SG Blade on a Viper, I love it. Thanks for posting this. I'd really like to get one of the S35 or FF35 Scarlets, but if money's tight this looks like it could be a viable option for the 2/3"...

Can the relay setup be used on an SGpro rev3? Not being able to speed up the GG might be an issue.
    Check out my short films on Vimeo

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedipax View Post
    Can the relay setup be used on an SGpro rev3? Not being able to speed up the GG might be an issue.
    I don't thing that there is any reason why not... especially in the FF35 setup...

I done the tests with Viper and not with a HPX500 just to show the system capabilities... I suppose it is understood that it will work on anything has a 2/3 mount... ahh... I forgot or a 1/3 mount... the relay is a multiformat, frame wise as well as camera mount's...

With the S35 setup SGblade/GG.relay will be in the same league (as far as quality and size matters) as the Ultimate/compact but in 1/3 the price...
    Evangelos Achillopoulos
    CTO

10. Collapse Details
    Congratulations Evangelos, finally someone is posting charts of a product. This is definitely a big plus to u...

Looks very promising...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast