Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Low Light Streaks - Is my camera faulty?
    Help!
    Got my PAL GH1 a few days ago. Have been very happy with its performance outside in good light.
    Last night I tried it indoors in low light and the image was horrible.
    Here's a screen grab:

This was at 400 asa (which I've read people saying is pretty good). It's also visible at 200asa in any underexposed areas. It was in creative movie mode with full manual control.

Any ideas? Is there some menu setting I'm missing or is this a faulty camera? Presumably no one else is seeing this?

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I saw it at different ISO settings, but it was really randomly popping up. I think it's literally related to specific ISO settings. I'm also kinda confused at the 400 ISO setting being native. I really don't think it is.

Try it out at different ISO's and see what you get.

3. Collapse Details
    So you saw similar streaking?
    Surely you should never see this kind of thing - it totally ruins the image.

I saw it at both 200 asa and 400 asa (though it was worse at 400). Also visible in both 1080 mode (worse) and 720 (more subtle). Just to clarify, the above still is a frame from a video (1080 FHD). I haven't seen the effect on stills.

I'm not sure what you mean by 400 asa being native? Could you clarify.

4. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I saw it in EXTREME lowlight when I first started using the camera. And that was at high ISO's or the weird ISO's, like 400.

Oh, and it was also with a weird white balance setting when it came up. Like sub 3000K.

But again, I just didn't see it anymore later on unless I was at high ISO's or odd ones. I usually shot at 320 or 640 and was pretty much always balanced between 4500 and 5500K.

Just have to see where it vanishes.

5. Collapse Details
    I had also this effect, see the first post in this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=173577. The streaks started to be visible at ISO 400, also if you look at the emitted light, it shows color blotches (purple, green, yellow), that also become visible on skin, see the first vimeo clip.

6. Collapse Details
    ThomasS - The streaks on that shot look similar to what I'm getting, but I'm seeing worse and at 400 iso. I'd accept that going up to 1600 you'd get some degredation but it should be pretty slight at 400.

Kholi - The white balance was set to tungsten preset so that shouldn't be it. I'll try experimenting with different WBs. What do you mean by 400 being a "weird" ISO?

7. Collapse Details
    Yesterday there was a review in a quite famous forum in germany and they got the same result:

Bad google translation:
    http://www.translate.google.de/trans...istory_state0=
    Last edited by Uwe Lansing; 06-17-2009 at 04:17 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Strange, I got this when I first used the GH1, it seemed to go away over time.

I definitely do not see that at ISO 400 indoors, low light now.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by capice View Post
    Yesterday there was a review in a quite famous forum in germany and they got the same result:
    Yes - looks like the same effect. Doesn't say what ISO that is though.
    As I say, I wouldn't be worried about seeing this kind of thing when using the maximum ISO, but 200-400 should be midrange and shouldn't be seeing anything like this.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderspike View Post
    Strange, I got this when I first used the GH1, it seemed to go away over time.

I definitely do not see that at ISO 400 indoors, low light now.
    That is odd. So do I have a faulty camera or will it just go away?
    I'm not sure I want to take the risk...

Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast