Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Am I too stupid or is there a bug in the codec?
    When I received my GH1 last thursday, I was very happy - this camery was litttle, neat and offered me all manual controls ever needed, plus an excellent image stabilizer in the stock lens.
    But after shooting some test clips, disillusion came: Low light performance with the stock lens is pretty bad. As soon as you zoom over 14mm, f4 goodbye! On portrait focal lenghts 35-50mm you have at least f5 to f5.6, one stop less.
    Cranking up the ISO to 1600 shows horrible color blotches and banding (see screen capture). The banding is on constant columns, so with small panning, it shows up even worse.
    Even on smaller ISOs, e.g. skin tones become very unnatural (see http://vimeo.com/5035691, NOT due to vimeo recompression, already in the MTS file)

But the biggest problem is, the camera skips frames (see http://vimeo.com/5035635, starts at 5sec and then continues through the entire clip) and this is not a matter of the SDHC-card (I used a Sandisk Extreme III, class 6, rated 20MB/s read and write), as I shot about 100 clips with it, and a handful of the total show these effects.

Do I do something terribly wrong, is my copy of the camera defective or has this product a severe problem?

Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    your camera is skipping frames because you're not removing pulldown properly.

3. Collapse Details
    It is a PAL version, so I assumed, there's no pulldown removal necessary !? And it only shows up in 5 of about 100 files?
    Last edited by ThomasS; 06-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    i dont think that screen grabs all that bad for ISO 1600.
    and for low light...go get your self a nice prime + adapter and shoot your
    heart out. for what it is, and what it can do the kit lens is pretty cool.

weird that its dropping frames though. thats the first iv heard of it.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasS View Post
    It is a PAL version, so I assumed, there's no pulldown removal necessary !? And it only shows up in 5 of about 100 files?
    That's really strange mate. And you're right, PAL requires no pulldown removal.

6. Collapse Details
    For interior shots you get yourself a nice lighting kit and light up the place for proper shooting. That is for pro work. Anything else get a video light and put it on top of the camera the good old fashion way. Skipping frames? Well there must be something going on with your cam as you are the first one to report the problem.

7. Collapse Details
    Are the frames skipped in your original footage? Or on vimeo? Vimeo converts everything to 24P, even if it's 30P so everything ends up getting skewered. If you upload the original MTS it might be easier to check if it's something software related. How are you importing your footage?

8. Collapse Details
    The frames are skipped in the original footage. Even when playing back on the camera display. And it's 25p, as it is the PAL version, so I'd expect constant frame dropping throughout the cilp. But the cliŁ - as well as the other corrupt ones - show this at random times with a random number of dropped frames (up to 5 I counted).

9. Collapse Details
    upload a source file to megaupload for the lads to have a look at
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

10. Collapse Details
    and as Isaac asked what software are you using?
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast