Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The thing is, no matter who you ask for advice. Everyone will have different opinions.

It'll make your decision harder.

Sure you might find something someone agree's on, but you won't know if you've made the right decision or not until you've actually used it. I've been searching for a couple of months now, and every damn time i think i've found the perfect piece of equipt', something better come's along..

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki-Ki View Post
    I've been searching for a couple of months now, and every damn time i think i've found the perfect piece of equipt', something better come's along..
    Ain't technology a bitch.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Ladd View Post
    Man, I had a DVX100a and I loved it, but the bottom line is, it's past its prime. This is the HD generation. There's no way I would be trying to do quality work now with 480x720. I just ordered the Canon HV40 and can't wait for it to get here. If you haven't yet seen some footage on these cameras, go to vimeo and compare. The prices on the DVXs continue to drop in worth for one reason only - it's not HD.
    Yeah i agree, that's what i'm feeling now when working with the DVX100, it's past it's prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ki-Ki View Post
    The thing is, no matter who you ask for advice. Everyone will have different opinions.

It'll make your decision harder.

Sure you might find something someone agree's on, but you won't know if you've made the right decision or not until you've actually used it. I've been searching for a couple of months now, and every damn time i think i've found the perfect piece of equipt', something better come's along..
    Yeah the HV20 / 30 is a great camera, reviews are very positive.

I guess it's something i'll have to think about.

Dangerous Derk Productions - Award Winning Film Makers
    My Youtube Channel - Watch my movies on Youtube

4. Collapse Details
    I have 2 HV20's and now a new HV40. The HV40 I bought new and the HV20's I got used for less that 400.00 each when Circuit City went out of business. I love them. The important thing to ask is how much money do you have to spend. The HV's are the best camera under 1000.00 IMHO.

As far as locking exposure you are just two button clicks from being locked. Manual focus is one button click away.

I also use my HV's with a Letus35 Mini and they work fine.

Yes it doesn't have the standard focus/iris rings but in a few hours you'll understand how the camera works.

Most of my jobs are low budget so people don't mind me shooting with a consumer cam. Plus the image from these cams look great for the price.

http://www.pabstfilms.com/
    http://www.hepabst.com/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by hepabst View Post
    I have 2 HV20's and now a new HV40. The HV40 I bought new and the HV20's I got used for less that 400.00 each when Circuit City went out of business. I love them. The important thing to ask is how much money do you have to spend. The HV's are the best camera under 1000.00 IMHO.

As far as locking exposure you are just two button clicks from being locked. Manual focus is one button click away.

I also use my HV's with a Letus35 Mini and they work fine.

Yes it doesn't have the standard focus/iris rings but in a few hours you'll understand how the camera works.

Most of my jobs are low budget so people don't mind me shooting with a consumer cam. Plus the image from these cams look great for the price.
    Thanks for the reply.

As far as money goes, i'll be selling the DVX100 to directly fund the purchase of the new camera, so i think i'm looking at around 800.

Most of my jobs are low budget too, band videos etc.

An internet friend of mine sent me some raw footage in m2t format for me to play with, the image quality has really sold it to me.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Just got the HF200 new in the box for 350 bucks!! I wish I had the internal memory of the HF20, but, I mean, come on, 350 bucks?!

This is my first every venture into the world of tapeless -- and, I gotta say, it is just too cool. The camera even has an HDMI hook-up. 24p (recorded at 60i). I literally JUST got it, so I'll post some footage this weekend.

Extremely happy with it so far. The picture is just ridiculous (EX 1 ridiculous).

7. Collapse Details
    check out my work on the canons hv20

www.youtube.com/k3films

ill be here to answer questions if any :/

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks, i sold the DVX100 & get a HV30. I feel for me, it was a good move.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Derkoi View Post
    I have a DVX100a & i'm wondering if i should consider changing to one of the HD cameras like the HV30 or HF100 or even the Panasonic HDC-SD20.

I can't afford a HVX200 or anything like that, basically i'd be selling my DVX100a to fund my new camera purchase.

Is it worth the change, will the image be better?

I've already lost one client as i could not provide HD.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, maybe if anyone can suggest an HD camera i may have missed?

Also does anyone have a comparison of a DVX100 shot vs HD shot from one of these consumer HD cams ?

I shot a feature on a Panasonic DVX100 and I am thinking the same too. I no longer have the DVX but want to get a Canon HF200 or the HF S100. I have seen footage shot with these cameras.

I considered the DVX100 (original) to produce washed out colors.

Chris

10. Collapse Details
    I'd personally go crazy with a camera that didn't have manual zoom and focus rings and the DVX-style form factor.

As far as HD goes, the DVX offers decent results when upscaled.

http://www.vimeo.com/7123040

http://www.vimeo.com/3998687

Also you can check out the new eps of it's always sunny in Philadelphia which is still being filmed with a DVX in squeeze mode and then upscaled for HD broadcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast