Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    D90 and Prime Lesnes - Which ones?
    Hey folks. I am primarily a still photographer. I use a Nikon D2X currently, with a number of high quality zooms.

However, I want to get some primes for the upcoming D90 purchase, as I realize this will make the camera even more film-like.

So, my question is this.

I am going to get a 24mm, 50mm, and an 85mm.

Do I get older fully manual AIS lenses:
    24 F2.0 AIS
    50 F1.4 AIS
    85 F1.4 AIS

Or do I get new "D" auto focus lenses (with aperture rings):
    24 2.8 AF D
    50 1.4 AF D
    85 1.8 AF D

I prefer lenses with auto focus, but I realize that when shooting video the focus really only comes in handy before the film starts rolling. But, I'm also more likely to use the AF primes for my still photography over fully manual primes... so, I need to think about that as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

David

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidonabus View Post
    Hey folks. I am primarily a still photographer. I use a Nikon D2X currently, with a number of high quality zooms.

However, I want to get some primes for the upcoming D90 purchase, as I realize this will make the camera even more film-like.

So, my question is this.

I am going to get a 24mm, 50mm, and an 85mm.

Do I get older fully manual AIS lenses:
    24 F2.0 AIS
    50 F1.4 AIS
    85 F1.4 AIS

Or do I get new "D" auto focus lenses (with aperture rings):
    24 2.8 AF D
    50 1.4 AF D
    85 1.8 AF D

I prefer lenses with auto focus, but I realize that when shooting video the focus really only comes in handy before the film starts rolling. But, I'm also more likely to use the AF primes for my still photography over fully manual primes... so, I need to think about that as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

David

IF you can afford them, get the D auto focus lenses, why not? As they all have aperture rings, there is no real problem with 'em.

3. Collapse Details
    The new 50/1.4 AFS is pretty sweet, with and lighter then earlier versions. I use it with my D3 all the time, great Bokeh!

Jeff Miller

RiverRoadPhotography.com

Equipment :: Sony EX1 :: NikonD3's :: assorted Nikon lens/flashs/light kits :: DVX100b's :: 17" MacBook Pro :: FC Studio :: bla bla bla.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys.

Jeff: That does look like a nice lens, for sure. But I'm definitely looking for a lens with an aperture ring in order to gain some more control over the video functions!

5. Collapse Details
    The only problem with the af's is that you need to switch back to f/22 every time you want to enter live view, you can't just leave the aperture where you want it and switch back and forth.

6. Collapse Details
    Hey Matt. Thanks for this info. Could you explain this a little more?

Are you saying that you can't use live mode while shooting? I'm not fully sure of the workflow yet.

The Manual AIS lenses don't have this same limitation?

Any further info you could give me would be helpful!

David

7. Collapse Details
    once you start using the aperture ring on an af lens the camera throws an error. if you're already in live view you can still shoot video but you can't shoot stills and you can't enter live view if you haven't already. with a manual lens you don't have this problem since the camera doesn't even know you're changing the aperture. there's no mechanical coupling, just electronic.

/matt

8. Collapse Details
    Matt,

Aww, I think I've got it.

So, really, the only downside is that I can't easily switch back and forth between stills and video, right? (I'm not concerned about that)

If my workflow is mainly

a) put camera in liveview.
    b) adjust aperture
    c) shoot video
    d) adjust aperture
    e) shoot video

I should be ok? Or would having the non AF lenses be better? Sorry to belabor this..

David

9. Collapse Details
    yes. i don't see any real reason for you to get af's though, you already have zooms that you like for stills and manual lenses are both cheaper and easier to use, better manual focusing, more compact, and if you get the newer models they're optically as good too.

/matt

10. Collapse Details
    Matt. Finding the used manual lenses in the Toronto, Canada area has proven difficult! The used AIS lenses I listed in my first post cost about 200 dollars more (in total) than the NEW AF lenses I've been scoping out.

What you say makes sense.. but I'm not sure I'm gonna find the manual lenses on the cheap.

Also.. it'd be nice to have the AF lenses available for my still photography as they're ridiculously fast lenses.

With that said.. I thought that I had my decision finalized. Now I'm unsure again ;)

d.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast