Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HMC150 & AVCHD Workflow Troubleshooting
    Seems like we should keep a collection of tips & tricks to help folks out when adapting to the AVCHD workflow.

1) Are you using FCP and long spanned clips? And there's missing frames where the spanned clips are supposed to join together? If so, you've probably got an older version. Update to at least FCP 6.0.5 to fix that.

2) Are you seeing glitches or dropouts in your footage after you've copied it to your Mac? And, most importantly, the footage on your cards has no dropouts when played back from the camera (or other playback device?) If so, you've probably been hit by the same "glitch" that has bothered P2 users for years. The issue seems to be Mac-specific, and primarily (perhaps only) related to using firewire transfer with FAT32 devices. Your SD card is a FAT32 device. And if you're transferring the footage to an external drive, it's most likely a FAT32 drive. And if it's connected by firewire, that seems to increase the likelihood of encountering "the glitch". Rest assured that there's nothing wrong with your footage! You just need to transfer it properly; what you have is a computer problem with the reliability of external firewire FAT32 devices. The best recommendation is to transfer your footage again, you will probably find the glitches are gone. And to successfully transfer your footage, we highly highly highly recommend using a file transfer application that uses data verification. Such a program will do data integrity verification as it copies the card contents over, which should ensure that you never see "the glitch" again.

3) Does your footage look HORRIBLE on the computer? Be aware that some NLE programs (such as Adobe Premiere Pro CS4) can use low-res playback modes to increase the frame rate performance of playback. Make sure that you aren't using "draft" or "preview" quality in your NLE, if you're trying to see it in all its original quality.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 02-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    To go with Barry's # 1--

If you are having trouble with Final Cut crashing during the log & transfer:

* Make sure you are upgraded to version 6.0.5 -- without it, you will crash on some formats (I experienced it at 720p60)

* if you have Perian installed, uninstall it from the System Preferences pane (if you have Boxee, you have Perian)

3. Collapse Details
    Great idea here. Only thing I can think of is to beware of 30p for now until NLE's upgrade?

4. Collapse Details
    how come when i shoot 1280/720 30p when its in the project bin in vegas pro 8 it is being read as a 59.940 clip when it clearly should be a 29.970 clip? but when its shot on 1920/1080 30p it doesnt do this.
    im curious as to why this would happen? any help would be greatly appreciated

5. Collapse Details
    Correct me if i am wrong..but you must set the project properties how you want it. Vegas does not read anything. So just set your properties and your good to go.

6. Collapse Details
    the project properties were correct

but heres the deal when i shot 1280/720 60p the footage didnt render right in vegas cause it cant handle it
    but
    when i filmed in 1280/720 30p and rendered it as 60p it didnt have the ghosting so it was like i was cutting the amount of frames in half the whole time
    now im wondering if my camera is shooting 60p under the 30p setting??????

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg93 View Post
    the project properties were correct

but heres the deal when i shot 1280/720 60p the footage didnt render right in vegas cause it cant handle it
    but
    when i filmed in 1280/720 30p and rendered it as 60p it didnt have the ghosting so it was like i was cutting the amount of frames in half the whole time
    now im wondering if my camera is shooting 60p under the 30p setting??????
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...sable+resample

That will give you what you're looking for ;)

Vegas 9 still does not properly support the 30p mode, but you can use that work around to make it.

-Adam

8. Collapse Details
    Here's another workflow issue which is commonly encountered:

.mts file joiner
    http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=161735

-Adam

9. Collapse Details
    thank you very much

10. Collapse Details
    HMC150 FCP 7 Workflow
    Starting with the basics, what initial setting do I select? I am shooting 720p24 on the HMC150. Obviously, I don't see an option for AVCHD. So... please advise.

Once I get in to the project in FCP, any advice on Logging. I leave for Berlin and Helsinki Saturday and want to understand the workflow. I just want to log my footage. I have to rugged LaCie 500G drives to store it on.

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast