Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    overpriced consultant ?
    I do not think I should mention the consultant, but I contacted a professional script consultant about her fees. She wrote back that yes she does consulting-- and what she does is have the writer write a one page summary of the story, then send that with a $1000 check to her. She replies with some feedback on the one page story summary. Is it just me or does that seem a bit over priced for what one gets? I was expecting quite a bit more for the money. Granted this consultant is a book author, but I have seen prices for Michael Hauge and John Rainey and they seem to offer so much more for the money.
    randall

2. Collapse Details
    Deceit is the fabric of society...fear and greed are the two base motivations.
    Write that one page and find some folks who love to read. One page isn't a lot to ask of someone to check out. I'm sure there might even be a few people here!

3. Collapse Details
    She should at least be reading a handful of actual script pages. Other people do.

4. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    Gee Randall, I'll read your whole script and give detailed analysis for 1/4 of that. She's charging too much. Way too much.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

5. Collapse Details
    Check out Craig Kellem at www.hollywoodscript.com. I think he does a great job and he has the credentials to make for someone who knows what's good and what will sell. He only charges $227.50, and he's been an ICM agent and an actual producer, and he actually reads the entire script.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall_Oelerich View Post
    I do not think I should mention the consultant, but I contacted a professional script consultant about her fees. She wrote back that yes she does consulting-- and what she does is have the writer write a one page summary of the story, then send that with a $1000 check to her. She replies with some feedback on the one page story summary. Is it just me or does that seem a bit over priced for what one gets? I was expecting quite a bit more for the money. Granted this consultant is a book author, but I have seen prices for Michael Hauge and John Rainey and they seem to offer so much more for the money.
    randall

LOL! what snobbery.

7. Collapse Details
    I don't care if Spielberg offered to watch 5 minutes of a film I made, then critique it for 50K. No one can judge or deeply critique an entire story, especially one meant to be 90-120 pages, all off of a single page synopsis. That is like asking someone whether a film is good off of just the TV guide description, or a logline. A lot happens on the way when a writer goes from a synopsis to a full script. Just like a when translating a script into moving imagery. The process has a lot of bumps, changes in direction, new inspirations, and other detours along the way. A finished script might be drastically different from the initial idea or synopsis.

Personally, I would be extremely wary of just sending out a synopsis to someone, paid or not, due to possible theft of my story and story concept. At least a script can be officially copyrighted and registered with the WGA. As far as I know, a story synopsis is not something tangible enough to copyright in any legal way.

While not knowing more about her credentials, this consultant seems way overpriced, especially for just a one page read.

8. Collapse Details
    this is a joke, right?

http://www.lindaseger.com/consulting.htm

try this

9. Collapse Details
    I posted this a few days ago. People who cover scripts for a living get paid on average of 50 dollars a script. That is to run basic coverage on it. Not quite detailed, but coverage none-the-less. Anyone can do coverage for you. Really, a lot of that stuff is a joke. I think it's all a con.

You can get the same notes from a random person. All the big issues will be brought up by a reader in basic coverage. Or a friend who read it. It doesn't take 1,000 dollars to tell you a scene doesn't make sense.

Have someone cover it for you. Someone you know and trust. Not some "script doctor" with a website. I know a lot of people who can do awesome coverage on scripts. I know a lot of people who can do terrible coverage on scripts. Especially when you interact with like 17 of those people every few days. (I'm not a studio exec - yet...haha - just people I take class with)

It isn't hard to do coverage. I've had to do some of it. Both standard one page coverage, detailed coverage, and script notes. Honestly, I think most "script doctor" stuff is bs. The trick is finding someone who will tear your idea apart in front of you. Dissect the script. Rip apart any formatting error you have. Make note of every time your character acts out of character. Tear down the concept you had until there is something on paper that is solid.

When I was developing a group of screenwriters works - myself included - the only advice and notes that were worth while were from people who told you everything that was wrong with it. And hearing it sucked. Myself and a friend of mine were the ones most often tearing stuff apart. But let me tell you...the works improved 500%.

And most people who gave us pages, thought they had something awesome. Until it got into our hands.

Find someone who can look at your work subjectively, you don't even have to trust them. But use someone who you know will tell it to you straight.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

10. Collapse Details
    Please tell me you're not talking about Dara Marks (author of "Inside Story"). Her book has been so inspiring to me that I'd hate to be so disillusioned...
    "Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
    A pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
    And though she feels as if she's in a play
    She is anyway"

From "Penny Lane" by Lennon/McCartney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast