Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Attack of the...
    For my first CGIFest 4 entry I present:

updated may 17.
    Changed the title from 'Attack of the Killer Green Tomato in Outer Space' to...

Frans Delivery

Synopsis:
    While making a delivery in the year 2062, Fran begins thinking he's the captain of the Enterprise under attack from a deadly space tomato.

* Script locked and loaded.
    * Actors cast. To be announced later. (Not real actors)
    * Shooting with the DVX100. My brother will be handling the camera.
    * Budget: About $20 for beer, or more.
    * Fun: Gonna have me some. And if it ain't fun, it ain't get-tin done.

Poster coming soon.
    Let's rock.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 05-17-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

2. Collapse Details
    may 17:
    Refitted my Valkyrie model into a delivery van. Subject to changes.

Still need a digital set, a planet and a tomato.
    And we're planning shooting some characters against green screen in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 05-17-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

3. Collapse Details
    Oh, I love VFX and Art and was in a conversation recently about apathy. This shot off the web kind of struck me. Didn't know where else to post it, but it was pretty much what I was saying. Gotta love art.

4. Collapse Details
    updated. Changed a few minor things like the title. Trying for an SNL skit style. My brother is down for it. I may play the captain so that'll be another first/last for me if I do it.
    I'm looking at this as more of a our-family fun project thing than anything else for us to laugh at. It's a one page script with maybe 10-15 seconds of exterior FX so it might go over time and non-compete. We're going to try it anyways.

5. Collapse Details
    Good to see the 02 ship making a screen appearance again. Best of luck mate! Looking forward to see what you got.

I'd enter if I had any spare time left.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

6. Collapse Details
    Technically the 02 ship was destroyed and sent off to the junkyard never to be seen again. But Fran happened across it, bought it for dirt cheap and turned it into a delivery truck. That's my story anyways.

Good luck on your short too Matt.

7. Collapse Details
    May 19 update:

* Worked out the story boards over the last two days. Once I ran through the first completed version, I realized I had made a major mistake and had to reorient the characters.
    I'm not 100% sure on my directing, but I found the boards to really hone in on everything.
    It's such a tight space set wise, I'm going with a lot of POV shots. Making me think though.

*Also, in that process, refined the characters lines a bit for flow and actually cut 2 scenes once I saw how it was taking place.

* Completed 2 of 3 VFX layers for the opening FX shot. Planet and ship. Still need a haze layer. The planet is half decent, not quite big time Hollywood but workable. I saw some sweet NASA pics on the net, but copyrights bothered me, and I wanted to give it more life, so, I stabbed at the CG end. It works, nothing jaw dropping though, but still kinda of cool.

* Modified the ship a bit. Added displacement to the roof wind faring (it's a delivery van) and added some extrusions to a couple pieces and added a couple doorways with red lights, load/ unload areas. I won't bother updating the pic, it's only a 1 min short.

* My brother kicked in $40 for some props. He does seem to be the prop master in the family.

* 18 shots with 1 more FX shot if we have time and 1 static 'Frans Delivery' gag shot at the intro or end if we have time.

* Came up with a simple set to eliminate one of the characters green green shots.
    Will have some smoke with the other character against a green screen. Not looking forward to compositing that. Maybe it'll be alright.

8. Collapse Details
    Sounds really ambitious Raptor. Can't wait to see it!

9. Collapse Details
    looking good, cant wait to see it.

10. Collapse Details
    May 22: It's Friday again. Where do the days go anymore?

Hey Tower and f150. It's a little ambitious but I haven't done anything with my brother in a couple years so it's something for us to try again.

This week hasn't been too productive at first glance but I've been picking up things I otherwise wouldn't have and will have a better intro in the end.

While doing earlier compositing/editing of my opening sequence, I felt my look was too colorful (but maybe it should be for this comedic style). But I tried to emulate the 1986 Alien movie look using 5 still grabs from the movie as CC references. That looked good on computer, I really think I had the look, but on T.V it was less than I hoped. And oddly enough, the original colorful look worked well, so I went back to that. There goes one day of testing but I learned something more about compositing.

Also during compositing/editing I realized I needed to bring up certain parts on the ship.
    I originally rendered separate multipass lights with illuminations set for the final look.
    When I pumped them up in post and played it back, are you guessing? Noise, and lots of it. Oooops.

While watching the T.V playback I also realized the camera moves were non-purposeful and cliché in that 'show planet rotating, enter ship from right side angle as a side shot.'
    So I changed the camera movement also. Now it begins tight on the 'Frans' Delivery' sign and pulls out to reveal the planet behind while everything is rotating. I guess that goes into the directing category. Several hours spent setting that up.

Tests of that showed the lighting was not emphasized enough in certain areas. So I had to add 3 more lights for a total of 10 lights, 2 of those being suns.
    And when I render I'll be sure to crank each one up. That will wash out the RGB image but preserve the images with the multipasses. Common sense when I think of it.
    I'm also using a camera Focal Length of 11mm on that shot, which gives it a warped look. Kind of cool I think.

I'll try and post a grab tomorrow. It's about a 40-50 hour render for 144 frames, about 2 days steady.
    Less that the original model would have taken though.

That's CG for you.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 05-22-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast