Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    I am a beginner, I have a stupid question wanna ask... how can I import my footage to log and transfer in final cut pro? Coz it says my video (AVCHD) is not compatible when I try to drag my video across to the log and transfer window.

2. Collapse Details
    You need the AVCHD plug-in but it should have come to you in an update. There's a new one from Panasonic but it is not Lion compatible yet. It is supposed to do away with the transcoding. I'd be surprised by that, to be honest.

If you have the plug-in the procedure is pretty simple.

Plug your card in and then start FCP. Open a new project and I save it before starting the transcode. I also set up the System Prefs ahead of time as well--capture scratch and auto save and so forth. Then open log and transfer, which is under the "file" menu. It ought to automatically find the files on your SD card.

Then you can select the whole folder or individual clips for transcode. You can watch them and set ins and out and name the clips and other notes like angles and so forth.

For transcoding, you have two preference choices from what I remember--AIC or ProRes. I don't think that there is a ProRes HQ option or a 444 option from what I remember.

I use ProRes for higher end productions, but day to day we are cutting TV in AIC. It is just a much smaller file although not as good quality from what I've read. The process is pretty simple. One hiccup is that sometimes the Log and Transfer doesn't find you card or the files. It can be a little tricky, but I've found if you're coming right from the card from the camera it has no trouble.

The transcoded files are put into the "Capture Scratch" folder you created in System Prefs.

By the way, I finished cutting a feature last week on my iMac and MacBook Pro that was shot on the Red and the procedure for our purposes was really the same as long as you have the RedCode plug-in. I got half the footage already in ProRes, but the other half wasn't ready. My partner and I took three days, 24 hours a day with three to four Macs transcoding. It was just crazy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345