Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2 hour 720p/24p video to FCP, what the best route?
    I edited a 2 hour and 16 minute performance video (concert) and need to export it to an SD DVD but the route that I took produced horrible results. I went from FCP to compressor using (if I remember correctly) DVD>150 minutes option. I'm not sure what I should do to maintain maximum resolution on a project this large.

Anyone care to share some knowledge?

Thanks a million!

Jay

2. Collapse Details
    Did you us ac3 for your audio? Try changing the Video and Audio bit rate to match your footage length and you could also try DVD-DL discs.
    Last edited by kgimedia; 05-07-2009 at 06:20 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry but... put it on two discs.

DL discs have compatibility issues; single-sided discs don't have enough space to encode that much video nicely. I usually consider 90 minutes the limit for decent results...
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

4. Collapse Details
    If its extremely important, you could send it out to a facility to do a hardware compression, which I doubt will be much better than something done properly in compressor, but they may have better luck with creating a DL disc...

5. Collapse Details
    Use a DL disc at about 6.5 mbps and ac3/dolby 2 audio.
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    Oh so let me see if I understand this correctly. Before DVD Studio Pro burns the movie to the DVD it reads the DVD to see how much it should compress the movie? Is that why you guys are suggesting DL disks?

7. Collapse Details
    No... but DVDSP has settings for the media type that you can change. Somewhere in there...

But don't ignore my warning! DL discs have a lot of compatibility problems and shouldn't be distributed to the general public. Two single-layer DVD-Rs are more reliable, more compatible, faster to burn, and cheaper...
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
    But don't ignore my warning! DL discs have a lot of compatibility problems and shouldn't be distributed to the general public. Two single-layer DVD-Rs are more reliable, more compatible, faster to burn, and cheaper...
    In general I agree, but all burned or replicated DVD's have compatibility issues. If you are cutting a DVD for sale, bite the bullet and have it replicated by a professional. If you are making copies for the band, screeners or some to sell at a gig, burned DVD's will be fine.

9. Collapse Details
    DL DVDs are a lot worse than single layer DVD-Rs in this regard.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Rodriguez View Post
    Oh so let me see if I understand this correctly. Before DVD Studio Pro burns the movie to the DVD it reads the DVD to see how much it should compress the movie? Is that why you guys are suggesting DL disks?
    Fitting 136 minutes on a single layer DVD requires significant compression and compromise of quality.

Nothing is going to look very good.

Break it into two DVDs, or consider a a dual layer DVD recordable. Remember, some set tops don't like DL.

For example, 60 minutes on a DVD5 usually should be encoded at about maximum of 6.5 mbps with dolby 2 audio.

To get 136 minutes with dolby 2 audio on the same DVD, you will have to halve the rate or more
    Last edited by David Saraceno; 05-14-2009 at 08:28 AM.
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast