1. Collapse Details
    GH1 vs JVC HU100
    Just wondering if those of you who are more informed than I can comment on the differences in picture quality on the GH1 vs the HU100?

I assume for twice the price and no DOF it will be a no brainer to go with the GH1..

2. Collapse Details
    For the price of the GY-HM100U I can get the GH1 and a Macbook Pro on top of the DOF. No contest for me.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    If you were shooting for a quick turnaround in FCP the HM100 might make sense. No transcoding of its Quicktime wrapped XDCAM EX. Onboard XLRs and a wide range of manual controls in a conventional camcorder format.

At 17Mb/s the Panasonic's H.264 encoding probably matches or exceeds it in quality. There is no comparison on the sensors other than than the HM100's CCDs won't have rolling shutter artifacts. The glass would also be better. Electronics is probably comparable. Onboard audio would be better on the JVC.

The Panasonic HMC40 may be a more interesting choice than the HM100. Recording quality should be better. Similar form factor and features. CMOS rather than CCD sensors though.

The GH1 would shine where the image was more important than the workflow. More for a documentary, music video, or theatrical production, where the others would be better for events, ENG, etc.

For my $3000, an HMC150 seems better than an HMC40 or an HM100 though.

4. Collapse Details
    I played with the HM100 at NAB. I don't think its worth the money even if the GH1 wasn't around. I own an XH-A1. I find that image much more pleasing than the HM100 and at this point it sells for cheaper. Unless you want the smallest camera with XLR and solid state, I see no point for that camera. On top of that - 1/4". NO THANKS.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Workflow...XDCAM EX in a Quicktime/FCP wrapper with XLR audio. If you need to get it out quick. How do you process your XH-A1: capture the HDV tape or live capture to off camera storage? My DV processing is nearly always to DVRack...I haven't used a tape in quite a while.

The HMC40, HM100, HMC150 support HDMI for uncompressed capture to an Intensity card, nanoFlash XDR, miniMXO2 or MXO2 (to a Mac).

6. Collapse Details
    There is a place for tape in my heart