Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    IF the 24fps motion picture "image quality" is the standard we're hoping to replicate with this cameras video, then a whip pan, or shooting out the window of a train should be blurry. The 24fps "look" involves even cars going down the street having motion blur in most situations.

The goal for this codec in such situations is to replicate the blur-- not a huge amount of detail.

Looking at Hunter's Rolling Shutter Demo, at the 10 second mark, the blur looks "right" to me, and there's enough detail in the image that this is working. At 18 seconds, the blur looks right but the codec is breaking down a little bit, and in freeze frame it doesn't look as good as film (and this is on vimeo at not even hd resolution.) I don't know if its the vimeo codec that's causing this issue or if its in the original footage.

But looking at that, assuming your shooting style is at "Crank" or below on the bourne scale, I think this camera replicates the look you'd get shooting film in terms of the motion blur being resolved enough to replicate a the blurry frame you'd get from film.

Or at least, it looks like that so far. Will have to wait and see what it looks like to me doing it at full resolution.
    Last edited by LizaWitz; 05-26-2009 at 05:26 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Illya Friedman View Post
    Emanuel,

I am a bit of a veteran of film-out tests. When I ran the Camera Rental department at Moviola in 2002, I did one of the earliest comprehensive prosumer/professional digital camera to 35mm transfer test @ CFI. 9x cameras across several formats including SD/HD and 16mm D.I. to 35mm test. Since that time I've been involved in one way or another with about a dozen film out tests- in all modern formats, including uncompressed 4K.

I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras
    Illya,

I have an idea about your long way to come here. Not since 2002. But I could follow your first film-out test with the HVX more than three years ago or your career at Dalsa. I'm used to read you.

That's why I know you are a respectable professional.

But there are professionals in every fields of the industry. Several industries, as well. Mine is not the camera manufacturing nor the consumer or prosumer electronics marketing for sure.

Coming from the production and education/training fields, I am more focused on independent points of view. I'd dare to say scientific ones ala Adam Wilt, one of my favorite reviewers and an example of independence for everyone. There, you have always the most accurate and unbiased conclusions straight out of the shell.

Unfortunately, with all this buzz produced around this small camera, I haven't read only unpledged posts over the boards.

Hope you may understand my point, I'm sure you will. I'll be following up your interesting film-out test. Hope for the most complete range of samples.

My Best,
    Emanuel :-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

3. Collapse Details
    I'm working with some people interested in this technology, so we'll be testing a few things.

Since there is some curiosity as to the content of the test, the GH1 -> 35mm film out will be scenics, a few faces, a couple charts, and we may throw in a shot originated by another camera format. Don't know which one, but something I'm familiar with as a point of reference in the same real. Pans/tilts/movement will be included. Running time is 4-minutes max.

I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Illya Friedman View Post
    Emanuel,

I am a bit of a veteran of film-out tests. When I ran the Camera Rental department at Moviola in 2002, I did one of the earliest comprehensive prosumer/professional digital camera to 35mm transfer test @ CFI. 9x cameras across several formats including SD/HD and 16mm D.I. to 35mm test. Since that time I've been involved in one way or another with about a dozen film out tests- in all modern formats, including uncompressed 4K.

I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

You sure are a veteran; I remember the Laser Pacific screening film out of the HVX-200 footage that you, Ben Rock and Matt Compton did years ago. That film-out proved to me we had crossed over the image distraction line.

.Pappas

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

5. Collapse Details
    Here's an interesting report on the 5D Mark II going to a film-out:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=38699
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345