Thread: Gh1 audio

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Gh1 audio
    Hello Guys, thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to audio.

How good is the audio of the GH1 in general terms?

What are the limitations?

What microphone should one choose?

Is there full audio level control?

Or do I have to work with external audio?

If so, is there any possibility to syncronize external audio?

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Audio uses a Mic-in port, or on camera stereo mic. Don't know if you can disable gain control. Panasonic makes an accessory stereo mic that goes in the hot shoe.

I believe an external BeachTek or that Zoom h4n should make up for what the camera lacks. The latter would allow you to record 4 tracks... for syncing someone suggested running the audio out of the Zoom to the camera audio in.
    Last edited by LizaWitz; 05-26-2009 at 06:10 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizaWitz View Post
    Audio uses a Mic-in port, or on camera stereo mic. Don't know if you can disable gain control. Panasonic makes an accessory stereo mic that goes in the hot shoe.

I believe an external BeachTek or that Zoom h4n should make up for what the camera lacks. The latter would allow you to record 4 tracks... for syncing someone suggested running the audio out of the Zoom to the camera audio in.
    Based on reports from the very low number of GH1 users, and from looking at the scant documentation (mostly in Japanese) provided by Panasonic, it appears extremely unlikely the GH1 allows disabling its automatic audio gain control. But it's still under investigation by users, so we'll have to wait a bit for absolute confirmation either way.

The specific BeachTek unit, initially designed for use for the Canon 5DM2, outputs an "inaudible" high frequency tone concurrent with your program audio, tricking the cam's auto audio gain to hold at a steady level. You can then use the input level controls on the BeachTek to adjust the levels for your mic/line inputs.
    http://www.beachtek.com/dxa5d.html

However, it's unknown at this time if this BeachTek unit is compatible with the GH1. It _might_ work, but I don't know if it's been tested yet.

With an appropriately-wired 4-pole plug & audio signal you can input audio into the GH1's combination mic & remote control connector. However, without using a device such as this specific new BeackTek model (with its inaudible tone trick), any external audio will have it's levels (and thus its audio noise level) set and affected by the GH1's auto audio gain. This will often result in less than desirable audio performance (incorrect levels and/or too much noise/hiss/hum).

Whether or not Panasonic could or would change the GH1 (such as via a firmware fix) to allow disabling auto audio gain is unknown.

- Peter
    www.peterdv.com
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 04-29-2009 at 12:32 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    From what I've heard/seen, onboard audio is passable but don't expect too much. you'll need a special connector for the input, it's not regular stereo. Personally, I intend on using a Zoom H4n too - good quality, availability of powered external inputs, and so forth.

Syncing is easy. You can use s slate in the traditional manner (which is a little time-consuming to sync up in post, but will give you needed time to assess footage and sicover quality problems early), or alternatively grab a few frames of the Zoom's display to have a time reference. Unsure if you can set both the Zoom and the GH1 to time-of-day recording and have it stamped in the audio & video metadata, which would be a big timesaver.

As an audio guy I would always suggest handing the job of recording to another person if quality really matters.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Robinson View Post
    ... As an audio guy I would always suggest handing the job of recording to another person if quality really matters.
    Yes, hire a sound person!!!

Here's why:
    http://www.coffeyinteractive.com/php...pic.php?t=1629

Remember: The soundtrack will account for at least 75% of the value & impact of your video/film!*

* The other "75%" is the writing, followed by the lighting, etc., etc. ;-)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    Yes, hire a sound person!!!

Here's why:
    http://www.coffeyinteractive.com/php...pic.php?t=1629

Remember: The soundtrack will account for at least 75% of the value & impact of your video/film!*

* The other "75%" is the writing, followed by the lighting, etc., etc. ;-)

Nice post and reminder. Sound is one of those things I learned the hard way on one or two short films. It can totally destroy a film if treated like an afterthought.

7. Collapse Details
    people can accept less than great visual images and be ok with it .. arty stuff and just poor shot... but bang out some nice visuals and add some crap recorded/muffled/distorted sound and people will scream foul.... the cake is a lie!
    "I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar"

8. Collapse Details
    I'm very curious about the Bechtek approach. If the approach works, seems like it could be adapted to most recorders with ALC input. A Panasonic made integrated XLR breakout box option with built-in ALC defeat/bypass would be so great. However, there would also be a need for metering if ALC is disabled. Does the GH1 have any audio metering ability?

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I have been thinking about making a small shoulder bag like the porta brace bag for a sound devices 744 mixer, recorder and wireless receivers but a really small version for a H4N with the sound devices mix pre and a pouch for 1 wireless reciever. Something about 2 inches thick and 6 inches long for fast in field on the go documetary shooting. Or even a belt clip type micro bag.

Would anyone have any input or suggestions?

edit: actually I'd leave the wireless receiver pouch off to save size and make the front all velcro so I can stick a receiver on it if need be.
    Last edited by ChipG; 04-29-2009 at 06:19 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipG View Post
    I have been thinking about making a small shoulder bag like the porta brace bag for a sound devices 744 mixer, recorder and wireless receivers but a really small version for a H4N with the sound devices mix pre ...
    But remember, the MixPre (& other mixers) doesn't do the new BeachTek's magic inaudible tone trick -- yet.
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 04-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast