Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were sources there already - there is a fair amount of production work done in Orlando...gotta look it up.
    The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

2. Collapse Details
    Shawn - I stuck this, as it could be a potentially useful thread. If you don't mind, can you keep an eye on it and update your initial post with any useful links that get submitted throughout this thread's life?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quirk View Post
    Hmm... with Full Sail being close by, it might be a good idea to open one here in Orlando too.
    Think again. Full Sail makes and stores their own flats. Students are required to construct and finish all flats used for the production of their film while taking Art Direction courses so trying to take advantage of a rental market based around FS would be kind of pointless.
    Andrew Brinkhaus |director of photography
    www.andrewbrinkhaus.com
    Los Angeles

4. Collapse Details
    Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night, you really can hear banjo music...
    Well, there goes another dream of wealth and independence. Thanks for bursting my bubble dude...

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    Shawn - I stuck this, as it could be a potentially useful thread. If you don't mind, can you keep an eye on it and update your initial post with any useful links that get submitted throughout this thread's life?
    will do!
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    added a really cool video to a DIY vacuum former
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

7. Collapse Details
    Hi, I've been trawling the 'net for a while looking for good film-related tutorials to compile a links page for an amateur film-making group here in the UK.

I have concentrated on the 'practical' side in particular, so sites that discuss/show You how to do low-budget stuff in the real world - not in software - is what I'm after.
    Here's a good one with guides for all the usual practical FX stuff; smoke, explosions, snow, etc.

http://www.detonationfilms.com/Cheap...and_Tricks.htm

I have just found this intelligent QandA on a set painter's site here in the UK.
    It is specifically for amateur Theatre, but worth a look as a lot of the design advice and techniques described, would be transferable/adaptable to film-set use.

http://www.set-painting.com/QandA/QandA_LIST.htm

I'll post more as/when I find them.

Cheers, Theron.
    Last edited by Reith tv-films; 07-04-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: additional link, and correcting My crap spelling!!

8. Collapse Details
    Another Set Building resource-
    Thanks for starting this Shawn.

Here is a web site that I have been following for the last year- it is really fun to follow when class is in session:
    http://www.setbuild.ucreative.ac.uk/current.php

BTW- anyone have any suggestions / idea on how to join two flats together in an easy way that would allow for break down / transport / storage, but also allow for a seamless join? (Or am I asking for to much ... )
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

9. Collapse Details
    Well...good carpentry with good straight stock and alignment via coffin latches or comparable fasteners will get you close enough that taping and painting the seam is about all you will have to do to complete setup.

I think that's as close as the breakdown you describe will come, to seamless.
    The key to success is being too dumb to know when to quit.

Motion Picture & Television Art Directors' Guild :: IATSE Local 800 :: Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Star Trek: Into Darkness (nominated, 2013)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Mockingbird Lane (nominated, 2012)
    ADG Award for Excellence in Production Design, Avatar (2010)

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks- sounds like a possible solution. (I'll have to test out my carpentry skills ...)

For flats that are not going to be borken down / stored, what is the common way of attaching them together? Is it to screw them together and then tape / mud the joints?
    Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Cinematographer
    www.ryanewalters.com - Tutorials - IMDB - Twitter - REEL
    Specializing in Digital Cinematography

"Too often people get caught up in the technical end of things ... They are missing the point completely. This way there is no proper input of individual personality." Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC.

Whirlpool GC5SHAXVS / WFW9400SZ / GFE471LVS / GU3600XTVY / GH7208XRS / WFW9400SZ / WED9750WW / GLS3665RS / and on back order, but expected in soon MTKS-230-C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast