Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Final Cut Studio 3?
    Any word on this at NAB? Is Apple even at the convention?

I'm waiting for FCP native AVC support.
    DUMB DRUM
    Short Films & Funny Videos

2. Collapse Details
    The big Final Cut user group meet up is tonight (I think) and that is the place any announcements will be made (so they say) and no Apple is not officially there.

3. Collapse Details
    Considering that the FCPUG Supermeet took place last night and nobody has posted anything and the Apple website has not been updated, I would surmise that there was no FCS3 announcement.

Bummer!

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    rumor sites are speculating WWDC, which is june 8th i believe.

5. Collapse Details
    It's either WWDC '09 or NAB '10. Most people believe that FCS is being ported from Carbon to Cocoa so that FCS3 will take advantage of all the performance gains Snow Leopard has to offer.

The big question is whether or not Apple will play it safe and wait for a more mature/stable revision of Snow Leopard (NAB '10). OR, if the performance benefits of SL are so great to FCS3 (64 bit, OpenCL, better multicore, Quicktime enhancements), that they use FCS3 as the statistics beast and big driving factor to upgrade to Snow Leopard (WWDC '09).

I'm hoping that in this economy, it's the latter. Snow Leopard seems like a harder sell for consumers with it's minimal new features. But if it Apple puts up new graphs and demoes that FCS3 runs some 30% faster then FCS2 and is capable of seamless RT AVCHD playback, I imagine a stampede from higher end Apple users to upgrade. And all the positive reviews might trickle down to the consumer. That's my hope anyway

6. Collapse Details
    There's no possible way Apple will wait until NAB 10. There's no possible gain that Snow Leopard compatibility could deliver that would be worth waiting another whole year to bring out FCS3. (3 years total since FCS 2) Competitors like Avid and Premiere are already looking reinvigorated lately, and Apple needs to have a product out soon. Apple knows this.

Expect to see something in the next month or two. Personally, I don't see Apple announcing FCS3 at the WWDC. That's going to be reservered for Snow Leopard and the new iPhone, most likely. I think we'll hear about FCS before then.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
    Snow Leopard seems like a harder sell for consumers with it's minimal new features.

Are you kidding me? Apple switching to gamma 2.2 is paramount and if quicktime is fixed that means no more QuickTime Gamma shift. The headaches we all have to bear with to deal with Quicktime Gamma shift are worth $100 piece of software.
    Alexander Mejia, Creative Director at Human Interact

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Demistate View Post
    Are you kidding me? Apple switching to gamma 2.2 is paramount and if quicktime is fixed that means no more QuickTime Gamma shift. The headaches we all have to bear with to deal with Quicktime Gamma shift are worth $100 piece of software.
    Pardon me if I am wrong, but I think he was talking about the lack of consumer and possibly prosumer market features. I wouldn't be surprised if a super majority of the people who buy a copy of mac os x have no idea what gamma even means, let alone the benefits that not having to deal with it would be.

I think by lack of features, he is talking about leopard boasting 500 new features such as time machine and similar features. Although Snow Leopard will be a sweet OS, it will be hard to give it the appeal to the masses that Leopard had.

Cheers,
    Ryan

9. Collapse Details
    I think Apple will preview FCS4, but then use Time Machine to take us back to FCS3.

Today at a major broadcaster I sat down next to a Powermac G4 suite. Digi-Beta tapes piled high. If FCS3 is to be "Intel-only" as some have speculated, I think the broadcasters will be up in arms. Maybe the nail in some broadcasters coffins?

-Andrew

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefilms View Post
    I think Apple will preview FCS4, but then use Time Machine to take us back to FCS3.

Today at a major broadcaster I sat down next to a Powermac G4 suite. Digi-Beta tapes piled high. If FCS3 is to be "Intel-only" as some have speculated, I think the broadcasters will be up in arms. Maybe the nail in some broadcasters coffins?

-Andrew
    I thought the whole purpose of Intel Macs was to get off the PowerPC processor.
    MindWarp LLC
    HPX170 with 64GB & 16GB E-Cards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast