Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkowilson View Post
    The thing is, all P2 card readers ARE computers.

(Adapters to Expresscard don't count)

- Mikko
    I don't understand what you mean by that. I'm looking to connect a p2 card to the computer I already have, not replace the computer in this equation. P2 cards haven't been just for expensive cameras for a long time, it doesn't make sense to buy a $2000 (or more) piece to offload from a $5000 camera. Among the 200 and 170 users a simple card reader like the one I want would arguably have a higher attach rate than any existing card reader they or a third party sell. I doubt there are people who were gonna get the $2000 multi slot, multi connection piece are gonna instead opt for the $250 card reader.
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

2. Collapse Details
    EVERYONE wants a simple reader. It doesn't exist.

Well, it does exist, but only to ExpressCard. You can't go PCMCIA to USB cheaply with the P2 cards. There needs to be intelligent electronics on the other side that can translate the P2 information to the USB bus. You can do it with the Sony because the Expresscard standard supports both PCI Express and USB technologies inherently.

If it was easy, someone would have done it five years ago.

3. Collapse Details
    No offense Barry but things change all the time. I've been in debates on this board with you and others about cf cards vs p2 cards and cf chips vs the chips used in p2 cards. I was constantly told no, told those chips weren't good enough, cheaper p2 cards could not be a reality, etc, etc. Check my post history and see for yourself. But here we are years later and that's all changed. In the realm of p2 to pc transfer it can too, it just takes enough effort.

I'm not asking for it to not have "intelligent electronics" if that's what's needed, go ahead and put them in, make the piece cost $400, I'd still buy it, other people would too (but it wouldn't have to cost that much). I've used and sold the AJ-PCD20 to people. In fact I've sold a lot of p2 products to a lot of people working for a big pro video/film reseller here in Canada. The AJ-PCD10 before that only had USB as it's external computer connection. You're giving these pieces way too much credit, they aren't that complicated and a single p2 slot non-internal usb only one would only serve to simplify it's design, electronics and manufacture.

If they can make 16gb p2 cards (which are supposed to be complicated pieces in themselves) how can they not have the technology, or the profit margin to make an external only, single slot, usb reader for under $400 ($399) with all the r&d they've put into the p2 product line, since what now 2003?

The only reason they don't is they get away with not having to. If there was no competition and people weren't asking for cheaper p2 cards, why make an alternative and why change pricing? If there is one thing we've pretty much proven it is that we get listened too and we get results when we yell what we want to the companies we support.

And I am yelling.
    My Twitter

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ecking View Post
    Because I already own a machine better than both of those.
    Apparently not...?

Anyway, here's a 2-slot reader which will likely go for less than $250, and connects directly to your MacBook via Gig-E: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ThinkPad-T42...QQcmdZViewItem
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ecking View Post
    And I am yelling.
    Yes. And you're yelling about something which has been yelled about for years.

If it were as easy as you say, someone would have done it.

Look, you bought an inappropriate computer for the use you want to put it toward. That's not on anyone else.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

6. Collapse Details
    The product doesn't exist. We wish it did, but it doesn't. There are USB readers available, but they cost $2,000. If it could be done cheaply, it would be done cheaply. I'd contract some manufacturer and start making and selling them right now. But it can't be done, not at a price point that makes it practical.

The Qio drops the price of entry to $1,000 and adds eSATA. That's a big step in the right direction.

Now, if you actually want a workable solution that will work today, right now, and is far less than $400, go with what ullanta posted. That works. It's cheap, and it works, and it's much faster than USB ever would be.

7. Collapse Details
    ifs its just for offloading, unless your cutting in the field, why do you care you've got 1k to spend, by an 800 dollar laptop

8. Collapse Details
    As I understand it from my tests, a simple USB reader as this--
    http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/usb/u142.php
    it could be a reader of P2 cards "IF" drivers were written and chip set recognized by the host, BUT, even if they did write drivers it would be so slow (at best about 10mbs) it would have you screaming for your money back....
    the Sonnet Qio is on my list when it hits the market, it will Make my Amtron on my Macpro a second back-up unit.

If you want the cheapest thrill get the Duel...or an old lappy as posted earlier...or use your camera..

Cheers
    Tom K
    olinevideo.com.au

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ullanta View Post
    Apparently not...?

Anyway, here's a 2-slot reader which will likely go for less than $250, and connects directly to your MacBook via Gig-E: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ThinkPad-T42...QQcmdZViewItem
    When connected with gig-E it'll show up the same way as if I connected the camera to my macbook?
    My Twitter

10. Collapse Details
    Yup... it'll be a shared volume. You just select it (them) in the Log and Transfer window of FCP...
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast