Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stu M. from Prolost found the Canon rep and was endlessly harrassing about the rumored upgrade to 24p (mark2)

Good job STU!

2. Collapse Details
    I don't care about 24p, I'm not even that concerned with audio levels, just don't like constantly having to trick the camera to get the exposure I want. That is all I want for the MKII, manual exposure control. Sigh.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't think that Stu's efforts will do any good.

NAB is a broadcast video show, the 5D MKII is from Canon's still division that has nothing to do with the video division. The still people are not at NAB, if he wants to harangue someone in person, PMA, Photokina or a show like that would at least have the right people there possibly.

I agree with daflye, manual control is by far the most important feature we need enabled. There are pretty effective and simple workarounds for the 24p and audio issues but there is no easy, simple and repeatable solution to the manual control issue unless those crazy hackers have a breakthrough.

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Dan,

"I can't imagine that XL-H1s are flying off of the shelves these days. "

I spoke to a guy i buy gear off at the Earl's Court show in London, and he said he hadn't sold anything from Canon in ages.

still, when they do get it together i fully expect to be blown away.

canon are in a great position because they don't have to "protect" their higher end cameras like Sony and Panasonic. and of course they have the best glass around.

When they do eventually get it together, i think it'll be worth the wait.

5. Collapse Details
    Canon is actually showing a 5D Mk II in their NAB booth, rigged out with mattebox and rails.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    This seemed so wrong to me. A camcorder AND a leading lens manufacturer shows its equipment rigged with Cinevate adapters.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm very disappointed this year. The two things I was hoping to see are no-shows. I wanted to see Canon announce an APS-C Camcorder and I wanted to see Apple announce Final Cut Studio 3 (even though they're not at the show).

The two surprises this year are the HPX300 and the AJA Ki Pro.

8. Collapse Details
    I was at NAB all week working in the AJA booth and there was a lot of Canon talk and a lot of pros who knew nothing about it. I didn't expect to see 5Ds in the Canon booth at all but there they were with their own kiosk and at least 4 reps showing gear including fully rigged Red Rock, Zacuto and Chroziel rigs.

I asked a Canon rep about the firmware and they said they are well aware of all the issues and hope to see something very soon. So I think it's good news that they gave up a the busiest corner of their massive booth to DSLR's - I think this bodes well but only time will tell.

9. Collapse Details
    Canon will have to come up with sth new anyway soon, to compete with the others tapeless workflows.
    Unfortunately NAB hasnīt brought ANYHING new camera wise and Iīm still stuck in my EX1/HPX170 or HPX300/500 dilema(s).
    I have to go with a single setup, otherwise right now the combination of HMC150 and 5DII would very appealing to me...
    Damn you, Canon.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

10. Collapse Details
    Frankly there is no point harassing Canon staff at NAB, none of the decisions about the development of the 5dmkII are made by US or European employees. All they do is sit in the middle between us and Japan feeding back information. Tokyo is already well aware of what is required to make this camera work as a full video camera and how many of us want it, if you want to complain more I suggest we all learn a little japanese and hit the phone lines.

Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast